Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brooklyn, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great news. They've got one month to meet their Q3 deadline now
I mean, it's there, question is can NY make the deadline. Now we have the NJ Transit striking, taxes and fares are going to go up, and they want congestion pricing. Public transit a kill, driving also want a kill. Literally costing a leg and kidney to liver here, idk why we put up with this nonsense. Tristate are needs to be defunded / a great reset

I mean, it's there, question is can NY make the deadline. Now we have the NJ Transit striking, taxes and fares are going to go up, and they want congestion pricing. Public transit a kill, driving also want a kill. Literally costing a leg and kidney to liver here, idk why we put up with this nonsense. Tristate are needs to be defunded / a great reset

Flying cars, no congestion pricing.

• Funny
Reactions: cc333
I did a little due diligence on DOB and the GC permit expired, but this makes sense since the construction work seems to be finished. The electrical permit runs until 1/1/2024, but I'm hoping that they finish up way before this. If the transformers have been installed, maybe the next step is the utility meter(s)?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 6.00.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 6.00.39 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 5.59.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-10 at 5.59.52 PM.png
    516.3 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Dennone and qman66
I’m waiting this supercharger because I’m only 5-8 min away and have free siupercharger on my model X. But my story not about this. If you want to know what is “green energy“ in NYC - my story below. This is my letter to NYS public commission who is regulating electric companies in NY state. If someone know how else to fight ConEd - your comments welcome here.

Dear officer in charge of reviewing our complaint,

Good day! Our case, after being referred to you, has been sent back to ConEd. ConEd believes that we have unfairly fallen into a regulatory loophole, and they are willing to reconsider our bill payments for June and July. However, they require a special directive from your department in order to do so.

Brief background: I live in a 6-unit condominium, and each apartment has a residential account. Additionally, our building has a small business ConEd account 67-7134-1972-***-* that covers the lighting in the common areas and exterior. In January 2023, I purchased an electric vehicle and decided to charge it using our condominium's small business account. I charged my vehicle several times a month using a power level of 11 kW. However, at the end of June, our building received an electric bill amounting to $767.68, with a total electricity consumption of 180 kWh. This averaged out to a cost of $4.26 USD per kWh.

Next steps: After spending several days on the phone with ConEd, we discovered that our building's account had been switched to a different tariff. Under this tariff, ConEd charged us an additional fee for our peak demand in addition to our regular electricity charges. Since the car was charged at 11 kW, ConEd assessed our total peak demand at 11.8 kW and billed us for Demand Supply ($217.75 USD) and Demand Delivery ($442.33 USD) - please refer to the electric bill for May 25 - Jun 26. This amounted to $660.08 USD (see file "May-June 2023.pdf"). With the assistance of a ConEd supervisor, we spent over an hour locating this clause in the lengthy contract and understanding what "DEMAND" meant. Furthermore, upon reviewing our bills, I noticed in small print on the bill from 5/10/23 (see file "Apr-May 2023.pdf") that due to high power consumption (over 10 kW), our next bill would include a demand charge, and the payment amount could increase or decrease. Naturally, given the ambiguous wording, we did not understand the information being conveyed to us, especially since ConEd periodically adjusts the payment amount. The bill from 06/08/23 also stated in small print that the account was being transferred to the status of "General Large".

Allow me to briefly outline the reasons why we believe our situation should be understood and accommodated:

• After connecting my condominium account to the "Smart charge NY" discounted electricity program for electric vehicle owners offered by ConEd, my car was linked to our condominium's corporate account. They monitor how, when, where, and how much my car is charged and promise refunds for charging during off-peak hours, which I did exclusively after midnight. However, SmartCharge NY did not inform us about the possibility of a Demand Charge. Moreover, they were unaware of it themselves - please refer to the attached correspondence with a representative of this department, where he states that he was unaware of the penalty for small business accounts (see files "SmartChargeNY communication 1.pdf" and "SmartChargeNY communication 2.pdf"). Therefore, if even the employees of ConEd's department specifically dealing with electric vehicles are unaware that Demand Charge is applied to corporate accounts, it indicates a flaw in the system's user notification regarding the consequences of electricity usage. How this kind of knowledge can be expected from regular users who have been paying their bills under the same rules for years?!
  • ConEd has confirmed that there is a loophole in the regulation law regarding the transition from a small business account to a general large account for users like us who consume a small amount of electricity but at high power. This led to our account being switched to the general large status. According to the law, if a small business consumes more than 3000 kWh (we only consumed 180 kWh) and/or uses a power level over 10 kW, it is converted to a general large account. In our case, our account exceeded 11 kW only due to charging the electric vehicle, while our total electricity consumption on this account is 180 kWh per month, which is lower than that of any residential account in our condominium. Furthermore, our total electricity consumption has not changed in the past year (see file "Statement.pdf") and varies between 100 and 200 kWh per month.
  • In the May bill, it was stated in small print that we consume over 10 kilowatts of power and our tariff would be changed, which could result in an increase or decrease in the bill. This is an entirely misleading statement. The term "Demand" was not explained, nor was it clarified that in our case, it would lead to a 10-fold increase in the bill with the same total consumption.
  • As long as the rules and tariffs by which ConEd operates remain unchanged, I have stopped charging my car using the condominium's meter and have been charging it through my apartment's account. However, this change did not affect the cost of electricity on the apartment's bill, unlike the condominium's bill, which increased by more than 10 times with the same consumption.

What we are requesting:

• Since ConEd is willing to waive the Demand charges as an exception but cannot do so without a special authorization from your department, we kindly request that you issue such an authorization for our account regarding the electricity bills for May-June and June-July 2023 - billing period when ConEd account 67-7134-1972-****-* switched to “General Large” and I charged my vehicle without knowledge of new tariffs.

We also kindly ask you to consider the following proposals:

• Oblige ConEd to provide accurate and detailed notifications to owners of small business accounts regarding the need to consume less than 10 kilowatts of power and the consequences of exceeding this threshold.
  • Oblige ConEd's "SmartCharge NY" program to provide accurate and detailed notifications to owners of small business accounts regarding the need to consume less than 10 kW of power and the consequences of exceeding this threshold.
  • Review the wording of the regulation for transitioning from a small business account to a general large account to ensure that small business owners who charge their electric vehicles do not receive bills for electricity that are 10 times higher than their average annual bills.

Thank you for your attention and understanding. We look forward to a resolution that addresses the concerns outlined above.

Sincerely,

I drove by this morning before I picked up my new model Y performance. It's still closed. There's a few EVgo units and like 16 Tesla superchargers

Attachments

• 384208757_6189623221141472_3492342495184816698_n.jpg
    384208757_6189623221141472_3492342495184816698_n.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 384443860_346969311092422_2832274236704072756_n.jpg
    384443860_346969311092422_2832274236704072756_n.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 69
I just picked up my Model Y Tuesday. My wall charger is supposed to be delivered by Friday..... I've already stopped by the supercharger station at JFK once..... I might have to visit JFK again....
Be careful with wall charger installation. If you will do this officially it will cost you 3000-6000 USD for installation and filling to ConEd and Department of buildings. Do you have apartment or house? This is big difference too because house usually have 100-200 A braker. Appartment usually only 60. And your wall charger will take 48 A. I did mistake and charge my car from our condo electrical grid. Right now for 7 month I own condo around 2000 usd. I have free supercharger and mostly charging on supercharger. From condominium I charge probably 7-9 times but because wall charger taking 11 kW ConEd switch our account to large business and electricity for condo start close 4.5 USD per kWh (Ha-ha-aha green energy but it’s not funny for me - read my post above). I can give you advice if needed how to deal with it.

Reactions: Dennone