Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buffalo, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW my brand new car shows the buffalo and Syracuse superchargers but won't acknowledge either of them in route planning. If I am at 50% charge then it tells me to go home and charge before I should head off to Kingston ON on the way to Cleveland lol.

since I've never used a supercharger... Once I charge there does the nav app remember it for future trips? Maybe that's my problem.

If at all possible, you should check to make sure your car is capable of supercharging before you actually need to supercharge. There was a report here from someone in Canada a few months ago who discovered during what was basically a joy ride to a supercharger with his new Model S (I think it was a P85D) that for some reason the car simply couldn't supercharge. Obviously it is highly unlikely that your car would also have this problem, but it would be pretty awful to find out you did during what was to be your first long trip with the car.

I had never had my P85D at a supercharger, but shortly after Syracuse opened I took it there, just to make sure I could charge.

Edit: Here's the thread-- P85D "Unable to Charge" at Supercharger

I have supercharged my car numerous times. I tried to route a trip to Toronto to see what would happen and it ignores Buffalo and Syracuse as well. Sent me completely around Lake Ontairo via Kingston rather than taking a more direct route through Buffalo. There must be something wrong with the routing software or Buffalo is not yet considered active by the routing software.

Just an FYI, some red utility vehicles were there this afternoon and the cones that had been blocking the first two stalls were neatly stashed. . . .

IMG_20150619_153037.jpg

I have supercharged my car numerous times. I tried to route a trip to Toronto to see what would happen and it ignores Buffalo and Syracuse as well. Sent me completely around Lake Ontairo via Kingston rather than taking a more direct route through Buffalo. There must be something wrong with the routing software or Buffalo is not yet considered active by the routing software.
Routing through Buffalo should up in my nav yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

*showed

I finally got the opportunity to use the Buffalo Supercharger on our return from Pasadena, CA. We totally used Superchargers for the trip in both directions as well as a 120V outlet in the front yard of my sister-in-laws house that could only deliver 9A (3mph). With that prospective I must report that our Supercharger is the LEAST "Super" of ANY other I have had the opportunity to use. Max charge rates I have observed here are 135 mph. This compares to over 360 mph at Superchargers seen in many places in my journey. The 135 mph rate was observed at slots 1 and 4. I'll try the other slots next time.

I finally got the opportunity to use the Buffalo Supercharger on our return from Pasadena, CA. We totally used Superchargers for the trip in both directions as well as a 120V outlet in the front yard of my sister-in-laws house that could only deliver 9A (3mph). With that prospective I must report that our Supercharger is the LEAST "Super" of ANY other I have had the opportunity to use. Max charge rates I have observed here are 135 mph. This compares to over 360 mph at Superchargers seen in many places in my journey. The 135 mph rate was observed at slots 1 and 4. I'll try the other slots next time.
When you charged in Buffalo and saw the significantly lower charge rate, was your car's state of charge as low as it was when you were seeing the higher rates during your trip? Was the battery warm?

Car was at about 70% charge and warm. Maybe I had a marginal connection. Charged again today after a round trip to the Rochester area and saw a much stronger charge rate of around 370 mph.

The 70% charge explains why you saw a much lower rate of charge the other time. Superchargers charge fastest when the state of charge is lowest, and the rate of charge decreases quickly as the SOC increases.

Car was at about 70% charge and warm. Maybe I had a marginal connection. Charged again today after a round trip to the Rochester area and saw a much stronger charge rate of around 370 mph.

Slower Supercharging with a battery at 70% is normal. When Supercharging, the charging rate is highly dependent on the battery's state of charge. Moreover, the charging rate decreases as the battery becomes charged so the charging rate that you see initially is not maintained for the whole session. Looking at the power used for charging can be very instructive in this regard. If the battery is at 20% or less, you should see almost 120 kW of charging if all is well (about 380 mph). By the time the battery is at 50% charge it will have dropped below 100 kW and might even be down to 90 kW. In this regard, the time to charge for 80% to 100% is equal to the time to charge from 0% to 80% because of the current (and power) ramp off as the battery approaches full charge. In comparison, regular charging from an AC source is at most 10 kW with a single charger and 20 kW with a dual charger.

Temperature also plays a role, as the rapid charge generates a lot of heat in the battery. The car actively cools the battery, but the cooling is obviously less effective on a hot day. This can result in reduced charging power to keep the battery from getting too hot. Very low temperatures also reduce charging power because the battery cannot handle as much current when the battery is cold.

Think they are basing their story on what someone has read here. A few complaints and it snowballs into a 1000 reply thread.
Only real problems have been at Gilroy, Fremont, Barstow, and Hawthorne (solved by adding more chargers - plus L.A. built out a few more locations.
Then there is SJ Capistrano where no one predicted the onslaught of locals trying to save up to $3. (solved with the opening of San Diego)

It's inevitable that there will be crowding as Teslas grow in numbers and predictability of need tries to play catch up. Also, what if 500 Teslas decide to take the same trip at the same time?

I like to believe there are good people working on this.

Seeing as this is the Buffalo Supercharger thread I don't think anyone in the western NY area is prioritizing overcrowding alleviation as its our "1st" real live SuperCharger and having any supercharger is better than no superchargers at all.

Now if we could get something in Central/NE PA and Erie PA we'd feel totally connected to the big wide Tesla world out there.

The Clarence Supercharger went offline Wednesday evening around 6:00PM. Tesla service has been notified and is aware there is an issue, but not when it will be resolved. At the time it died there were either 4 or 5 Model S plugged in. Not sure if it was a load issue, but when we were there shortly after that, there was no power to any of the charger pedestals. There were no power outages in the area that we were aware of. We happen to be in town visiting family so we have a couple low power charging options, but we are scheduled to head out of town Thursday mid day. Hoping they resolve whatever issue it is quickly. We're expecting a call back from service about 10 AM in the morning on Thursday to get an update and will try to post what they tell us.