Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger cable stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this just as Super Chargers? I remove my charger at home all the time while the car is locked, it only has to be awake.

I can go out to the garage and try to open the door and fail, but if I push the button on the charger it will release while still locked.
Is this just as Super Chargers? I remove my charger at home all the time while the car is locked, it only has to be awake.

I can go out to the garage and try to open the door and fail, but if I push the button on the charger it will release while still locked.

If the car is "awake" it will allow you to remove the charging cable if you have your phone or if the car is unlocked. If its asleep, you won't be able to remove the charging cable until you either open the app, which wakes the car, or you open a door or the trunk.

Removing the Charging Plug | Tesla

I've had this happen with an HPWC. Fiddling around, rebooting, recycling... finally it let go. It happened a couple of times over the course of a couple of days but has not happened in months. This was with an X, BTW. Some of you may recall a set of SW revisions with which the button did not work to open the charging port.

If the car is "awake" it will allow you to remove the charging cable if you have your phone or if the car is unlocked. If its asleep, you won't be able to remove the charging cable until you either open the app, which wakes the car, or you open a door or the trunk.

Removing the Charging Plug | Tesla

Just did it right now, no phone and car locked. Unplugged charger.

I see you're in Chicago. What's the air temp there? If it's cold and not charging it will release.

Please go test, it has nothing to do with temps and I have done it dozens of times. My car is also in the garage.

No phone car is locked. Press rear door handle to wake car. door does not open as car is locked. Press button on charger handle, charger releases.

Please go test, it has nothing to do with temps and I have done it dozens of times. My car is also in the garage.

No phone car is locked. Press rear door handle to wake car. door does not open as car is locked. Press button on charger handle, charger releases.

Interesting! Again was charging complete? You shouldn't be able to unplug if charging is not complete and car is locked.

the NEMA 14-50 charger that came with the car.

Good to know. This is worrisome for those that use the charger in public places, as they can basically have their charger stolen.

Edit: I mean it might have behaved differently since it knew your home address and your car's location, but you'd still have the same problem if you charged in your driveway at home.

Last edited:
It was charging as my wife forgot to plug in last night and it was at 91 miles this morning when I drove my kid to school. Maybe that NEMA 14-50 that comes with the car behaves differently?
I think there's something more going on here. Either a phone is actually within range, even though not on your person or the car is not asleep or something. I know that I cannot disconnect the charging cable either from my Model S or my wife's Model 3 when they are plugged in in the garage unless I have my keyfob for the S or my wife's iPhone for the 3. My iPhone used to be able to unlock her 3 but since the recent iOS update that stopped working and I haven't taken the time to sort it out.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I think there's something more going on here. Either a phone is actually within range, even though not on your person or the car is not asleep or something. I know that I cannot disconnect the charging cable either from my Model S or my wife's Model 3 when they are plugged in in the garage unless I have my keyfob for the S or my wife's iPhone for the 3. My iPhone used to be able to unlock her 3 but since the recent iOS update that stopped working and I haven't taken the time to sort it out.

Not sure. One caveat the car is awake I have said that numerous times. I hit the door handle to wake the car. Do you use the NEMA 14-50?

So you guys are freaking me out! I took my phone and made sure to place it out of Bluetooth range of the car and verified that as expected the car is still locked verified by trying to open the doors, charging is complete, and the charger cord cannot be removed. This is the way my early 2018 Model 3 has operated from day one.
Then just to be sure I came back with the phone now in Bluetooth range, opened the back door, and removed the charge cable. Maybe I'm not following but are some of you saying that with your Model 3 you are able to remove your charge cable (after charging complete) from a locked Model 3 without the phone or FOB in close proximity? If that is true that is bad.