Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chantilly, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No progress to report.

Wondering if contractor is waiting on change order to relocate pole base and or wires feeding it. The wires are defiantly in the way I don't know if a pedestal can drift left or right given how short the cords are. Looks to tight to fit between the curb and the base. MIght be able to chip the base off and make it fit.

got the base in and ran some pipe.

royal farms.jpg

I stopped by the site yesterday. They have back filled the trench and are prepping the sign posts. They have dug up for the power company at Zaxby's. it is solid shale and rock. All the directional boring equipment is on site but they may have to drill through all the rock. This could drag out. They also redesigned the service to a totally enclosed switchboard eliminating the meter and individual disconnect arrangement like Vienna. They are reworking the service pad. Until the service line makes it across the street they are stuck. I had though the site was dynamited back when the shopping center was build. Normal for South Riding.
Royal farms 5-28.jpg

Last nights pic before the rains hit.

They might pour concrete today wrapping up the underground work. At least they back filled before they left. Might be a swimming pool this morning. Note this is a consolidated power distribution site which minimizes the electrical distribution foot print. No wall of individual boxes like Vienna or Farmville. Metering and all breakers will be in the two grey cabinets. we wont be able to see the meter on this job. 2 section switchboard and two SC cabinets, clean and simple. might not have a fence at this site. will still have the Green 750KVA transformer in the for front.
5322EE31-D6CE-4ED9-8022-FC507DE69DE4.jpeg

Last edited:
Last nights pic before the rains hit.

They might pour concrete today wrapping up the underground work. At least they back filled before they left. Might be a swimming pool this morning. Note this is a consolidated power distribution site which minimizes the electrical distribution foot print. No wall of individual boxes like Vienna or Farmville. Metering and all breakers will be in the two grey cabinets. we wont be able to see the meter on this job. 2 section switchboard and two SC cabinets, clean and simple. might not have a fence at this site. will still have the Green 750KVA transformer in the for front.
View attachment 548183

Are the consolidated sites more expensive. I’ve often wondered why some sites have large switchgear and others have small stuff.

Pardon my ignorance but I can’t tell if all the hardware is onsite. I thought I saw a post from Elon about some delay in V3 SuC hardware production. Is that involved here or is it all construction process issues?

And I’m just around the corner (Tall Cedars then off Planting Field) so maybe 5 minutes lol. Definitely couldn’t be closer and be at a shopping center!

Pardon my ignorance but I can’t tell if all the hardware is onsite. I thought I saw a post from Elon about some delay in V3 SuC hardware production. Is that involved here or is it all construction process issues?

And I’m just around the corner (Tall Cedars then off Planting Field) so maybe 5 minutes lol. Definitely couldn’t be closer and be at a shopping center!
All the major supercharger stuff that is produced by Tesla themselves is there--i.e. the supercharger cabinets and charging posts.

Are the consolidated sites more expensive. I’ve often wondered why some sites have large switchgear and others have small stuff.

I deal with this on a regular basis and it can be hard to judge. There is a lot less labor pieces all the parts together but you will pay more for the switchboard and the concrete base required. I bet it’s a close wash. But I bet they don’t build a fence in this case. If Tesla is saving money it will become the norm real quick.

space constraints is the issue here and they compress things as much as possible to make it fit.

Telsa does not manufacture the distribution equipment. They look like they have a blanket agreement with Square D for this part. all equipment is on site to complete the project on Tesla’s side. Dominion has to bring there pad and 750KVA transformer.

They didn’t pour concrete Friday but they are ready for Dominion’s pad.

I took another one and tried from my desk this time. Didn't know MARCO fixed my photo's. Should see site clean up real quick now. I guess they still had to mount a pedestal for communications equipment. I have no idea what the box is for at the end. There has been no sign of fiber brought into the site. I have never seen run before. Wireless interface to cellular? The small pipes went to each SC cabinet.

RFSC.jpg

We got cabinets
View attachment 550200
sideways this time.

Incorrectly oriented pictures are an annoying iPhone bug that’s been going on for years. To prevent it, edit the picture on your phone (before posting), press the magic wand (or make some other change to the picture) and save it. It will post correctly adter it has been edited and saved. Same thing for emailing pictures from an iPhone.

Like this? Now the electrons wont fall out of the cabinets.;)

With this footprint Tesla can set up in a small island or only take one parking spot. will be curious to see if they install a fence. As long as the cabinets are locked there is no electrical hazard. Note they set all these cabinets in one day saving the labor of piecing everything together. Simple buss bar connection between cabinets. I believe the metering for Dominion is also pre-wired.

76EF2BF2-836D-4EAA-8E11-552983B90E52.jpeg