Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chino Hills, CA (LIVE 21 Jul 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're severely under-estimating apartment dwellers in the area using this Supercharger (like me).

I go charge when I hit <20% (when Sentry Mode turns off), so at that SoC %, I'm pulling 250 kW easily. I think other apt dwellers will be the same, going to the supercharger at low SoC %.
Unless everyone has a Model 3/Y or Raven or newer Model S/X is plugging in at 5% and unplugging at 60%, it is highly unlikely that there will be any significant throttling. In reality, there's always a stall or two open and people charging to 80-90% so some stalls are significantly underutilized.

It's not going to suck for anyone, honestly, unless lines start forming. At that point, Tesla would be better off adding more stalls than adding a Megapack or Powerpaks to help supply more peak power.

it’s working!

73531752-0A5C-470E-972C-B6C9E79981A0.jpeg

2500 Amp, 277/480V. Does this mean the input power supply is 480V, 3 phase?

e.g. 480V * 3 * 2500A = 3.6 MW.
3.6 MW / 250 kW (per stall) = 14.4 stalls max.

Doesn't this location have 16 stalls?

That's not how 3 phase power is calculated. More info on how to calculate it here: Three-phase power calculator | jCalc.NET

2,500 amps at 480 volts is roughly 2 megawatts. 2,000 kW / 16 stalls = 125 kW per stall when the station is full and all cars are requesting >125 kW. However, as you mentioned in another post, the four cabinets can supply about 350 kW each from the grid, limiting total site AC power (i.e. no solar or battery storage) to 1,400 kW, which works out to 87.5 kW per stall if the site is saturated. While not amazing, it's better than V2 and urban units and also keeps the peak demand down to a more manageable level. Plus, it's highly unlikely that a whole group of cars is going to pull in at exactly the same time at a low enough state of charge to demand full power.

It's likely that even though the switchgear is a 2,500 amp unit, the transformer is only 1500 kVA. It's possible that the transformer is already sized for future expansion, although I think it's unlikely. The transformer might have a label on it - sometimes the ratings are in big yellow text somewhere on the unit.

I think you're severely under-estimating apartment dwellers in the area using this Supercharger (like me).

I go charge when I hit <20% (when Sentry Mode turns off), so at that SoC %, I'm pulling 250 kW easily. I think other apt dwellers will be the same, going to the supercharger at low SoC %. At 6 stalls in use (37% location capacity), we're already maxing out the available input power at the supercharger. It will suck for anyone else coming to supercharge (whether old Model S or not).

I guess time will tell how the traffic pattern at the supercharger will be.
Hate to be right (in this case), but kinda called it here.

It's not just Diamond Bar. Drivers from nearby communities from Chino, Pomona, Ontario, and even far away North as San Dimas will come down to this V3 supercharger in Chino Hills. There's a huge supercharger gap in the North between Pasadena and Rancho. The only other choice for these folks is to drive to Rancho (V2) or Eastvale (V3), both of which are 15+ miles away. Diamond Bar supercharger location will definitely help, but until there is another option in the IE closer than Rancho or Eastvale, this Chino Hills locations will be very popular/busy.

Taking a look at Tesla's supercharger map, there doesn't seem to be any plans for future superchargers in these areas. There's one targeted for 2022 in Ontario, but that one seems to be far off the highway, in downtown Ontario. Interestingly, the Diamond Bar location does not show up in this map?

in order for you to see real limitation practically the whole site will need to be filled with cars that can take max charge which is extremely unlikely to occur at any one time.

Unless everyone has a Model 3/Y or Raven or newer Model S/X is plugging in at 5% and unplugging at 60%, it is highly unlikely that there will be any significant throttling. In reality, there's always a stall or two open and people charging to 80-90% so some stalls are significantly underutilized.

It's not going to suck for anyone, honestly, unless lines start forming.

the four cabinets can supply about 350 kW each from the grid, limiting total site AC power (i.e. no solar or battery storage) to 1,400 kW, which works out to 87.5 kW per stall if the site is saturated. While not amazing, it's better than V2 and urban units and also keeps the peak demand down to a more manageable level. Plus, it's highly unlikely that a whole group of cars is going to pull in at exactly the same time at a low enough state of charge to demand full power.

Unfortunately, being full like this won't be so uncommon now, at least during the day time. You might be lucky to see 250 kW (or even > 150 kW) late at night or early morning when the site is empty. Anyone see more than 87.5 kW at a full (or near full) V3 site?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gr8pursuit
Unfortunately, being full like this won't be so uncommon now, at least during the day time. You might be lucky to see 250 kW (or even > 150 kW) late at night or early morning when the site is empty. Anyone see more than 87.5 kW at a full (or near full) V3 site?
People shouldn't expect to get the full 250 kW at their local Superchargers. Getting full speed requires several conditions be met, including low state of charge and a warm battery. Driving 15 miles to your local charger isn't enough to warm the battery up to the ideal temperature unless it's a particularly warm day or you've already done a lot of driving around.

Also remember that as cars start to ramp down, more power becomes available for others. Yes, your car might pull 250 kW at 20% for a brief period of time, but if you're charging up to 80%, you're going to be spending time below 80 kW.

If high utilization and slow charging speeds become a problem, Tesla can add some battery storage to the site, adding a significant amount of additional peak capacity to keep things moving quickly. I don't think that's going to happen in the immediate future, but I'd wager Tesla will starting adding batteries to the most popular sites in the coming years.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah