Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chino Hills, CA (LIVE 21 Jul 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SCE was still working on it as of 12:30pm
IMG_5823.jpg
IMG_5822.jpg

Anybody visited recently?please share update

You could look at the pictures that were two posts above your post, and get a pretty good idea as of last Friday. If anyone had a significant, more recent update, they likely would have posted it already without you (or anybody else) needing to ask. People on TMC are not shy about sharing Supercharger information!

Bruce.

Dangit! Driving to LA again tonight (Well, SLO tonight for the Big Tesla event tomorrow, then on to LA). I'll get Commerce and City of Industry but I was hoping to get this one too. Guess I'll have to be back for those ones closer to San Diego anyway, I'll get the rest then...

2500 Amp, 277/480V. Does this mean the input power supply is 480V, 3 phase?

e.g. 480V * 3 * 2500A = 3.6 MW.
3.6 MW / 250 kW (per stall) = 14.4 stalls max.

Doesn't this location have 16 stalls?
A supercharger site isn't actually able to provide 250kW to every stall simultaneously. Each V3 supercharger cabinet (attached to four stalls) can draw up to 350 kVA continuous from the grid and 575 kW from the shared DC bus (this allows power to be routed between cabinets and to/from a megapack), according to its nameplate: Pictures of V3 Supercharger cabinets For four cabinets, the max continuous draw from the grid would be 350 kVA * 4 = 1400 kVA or approximately 1.4 MW, within the capacity of 2500A switchgear.

We've been told that 250 kW v3 supercharger stalls don't share power. I guess it isn't true!

Assuming just 1 cabinet with 4 outputs, and 4 thirsty cars, each car would get only 350kW / 4 = 87.5 kW!

If there's extra 2 "free cabinets" available to provide aux DC power, then it would be 350 kW + 575 kW = 950 kW /4 = 237.5 kW per car.

At a site like this with only 4 cabinets and no on-site battery storage, then we can expect to never get the full 250 kW to the car if more than 6 cars charging concurrently. e.g., the site is 50% full.

350 kW * 4 cabinets / 6 stalls in use = 233 kW per stall.

Please correct my math if it's wrong. At a popular site like this. I expect it will be > 50% stalls in use most of the time. If so, almost nobody will ever see the 250 kW peak in our cars. Unless we're lucky and charging late nights when there's extra power capacity (empty stalls)

• Disagree
Reactions: Dave EV
Please correct my math if it's wrong. At a popular site like this. I expect it will be > 50% stalls in use most of the time. If so, almost nobody will ever see the 250 kW peak in our cars. Unless we're lucky and charging late nights when there's extra power capacity (empty stalls)

Um, no. You usually don't see 250kW most of the time anyway. Your car has to be at a pretty low state of charge to get that...as the battery fills up, charging slows down, even if your car is the only one at the whole site. Watch the screen while your car is charging, you'll see the taper.

Also, it's true that if you have a bunch of cars show up at once, all with nearly empty batteries, under ideal circumstances, you won't get the 250kW you might otherwise expect. But that's unlikely to happen, assuming cars arrive independently and at random.

Bruce.

PS. Also some of us have cars that can't even draw half of that power. You'd probably want to be sharing a charger with my old Model S.

Also, it's true that if you have a bunch of cars show up at once, all with nearly empty batteries, under ideal circumstances, you won't get the 250kW you might otherwise expect. But that's unlikely to happen, assuming cars arrive independently and at random.

I think you're severely under-estimating apartment dwellers in the area using this Supercharger (like me).

I go charge when I hit <20% (when Sentry Mode turns off), so at that SoC %, I'm pulling 250 kW easily. I think other apt dwellers will be the same, going to the supercharger at low SoC %. At 6 stalls in use (37% location capacity), we're already maxing out the available input power at the supercharger. It will suck for anyone else coming to supercharge (whether old Model S or not).

I guess time will tell how the traffic pattern at the supercharger will be.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dave EV
We've been told that 250 kW v3 supercharger stalls don't share power. I guess it isn't true!

Assuming just 1 cabinet with 4 outputs, and 4 thirsty cars, each car would get only 350kW / 4 = 87.5 kW!

If there's extra 2 "free cabinets" available to provide aux DC power, then it would be 350 kW + 575 kW = 950 kW /4 = 237.5 kW per car.

At a site like this with only 4 cabinets and no on-site battery storage, then we can expect to never get the full 250 kW to the car if more than 6 cars charging concurrently. e.g., the site is 50% full.

350 kW * 4 cabinets / 6 stalls in use = 233 kW per stall.

I just want to re-iterate what @Speight stated in that one cabinet does feed 4 stalls but the shared DC bus means that cabinets can provide DC power from one group to another group depending on the needs of the charging station as a whole. There is a lot of management controls that Tesla has built to provide the best experience for most if not all customers so in order for you to see real limitation practically the whole site will need to be filled with cars that can take max charge which is extremely unlikely to occur at any one time.