Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Construction Finished but not Online

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Roadside Assistance cannot help. Where to turn. Looking for charging along 80 transiting from Chicago to NYC. Falls Creek construction completely finished, but not online. Any other places west of Falls Creek to charge? even an overnight charge with enough range to get to the Bloomsbury Supercharger. Thanks.

Tesla Roadside Assistance cannot help. Where to turn. Looking for charging along 80 transiting from Chicago to NYC. Falls Creek construction completely finished, but not online. Any other places west of Falls Creek to charge? even an overnight charge with enough range to get to the Bloomsbury Supercharger. Thanks.
Why don't you go via I-76/I-78? It's about 50 miles longer and about an hour more driving, but there are superchargers all the way. Better than wasting time and money on an overnight charge. I drive this way all the time when coming and going West from NJ.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Plugshare is your friend. There are a couple of campgrounds with 14-50 connections (50Amp in RV terms). Otherwise it's pretty sparse with only a Chademo in State College if you can make it that far and have your adapter. Orange = Chademo on this map

IMG_0381.PNG

Last edited:
Am I crazy and are all the routing programs too conservative. I am staying overnight at Hampton Inn Grove city Pa - 8 -9 hrs driving in Tesla. Expect to leave there at 100% charge. 2015 P85D. I often slip stream with closest follow distance autopilot does. 218 miles to Bloomsburg Pa Supercharger at Ruby Tuesday. But both Tesla Nav and EV Tripping say go south ! Typically run 305 watts per mile or better. My math says it is possible with 25 plus miles to spare.

Or will I have to call AAA

Am I crazy and are all the routing programs too conservative. I am staying overnight at Hampton Inn Grove city Pa - 8 -9 hrs driving in Tesla. Expect to leave there at 100% charge. 2015 P85D. I often slip stream with closest follow distance autopilot does. 218 miles to Bloomsburg Pa Supercharger at Ruby Tuesday. But both Tesla Nav and EV Tripping say go south ! Typically run 305 watts per mile or better. My math says it is possible with 25 plus miles to spare.

There must be a bug in EVTripPlanner - it seems to want to go to Harrisburg when Bloomsburg is specified. I got around it by dragging the icon from Harrisburg to Bloomsburg. With a speed factor of 1 it says you will use 232 Rated Miles to go 212 miles (I probably didn't drag the icon to exactly the SpC location) using 328 Wh/mile - you should be fine. Good luck!

You will easily be able to make it from the Hampton Inn at Grove City to Bloomsburg (well, easily as long as you keep an eye on things). You may need to "fine tune" EVTripPlanner to get it a bit more precise. Change the minimum to 1% and 0 mph wind and default temp settings. You may need to go the speed limit for a good part of that trip but can probably get away with 5 mph over. 305 Wh/mi is a very good efficiency on a P85D. Don't forget to enable "Range Mode" on the Driving tab if that is an option.

Here is a graph of the elevation from Grove City to Bloomsburg. I'd suggest driving the speed limit to the high point which is about halfway for this leg and after that you'll know if you'll have enough to continue at the speed limit or can go a little faster if you desire but the elevation drops dramatically after that and most of the 2nd half is downhill so it is an overall elevation drop of 700 ft but the fun section is the 1,400 ft drop about 50 miles from the end.

I also did an EV Trip Planner for you starting at 100% and ending at 1% with a 200-lb payload, 0 mph wind, default temp, and 1.07x speed multiplier (75 mph in a 70 mph zone) and it says you can make it and would use 254 rated miles. I agree with this and suggest if you want to ensure you'll arrive with positive range then drive the speed limit for about the first half of the trip but you can monitor this easily on the Trip graph as you drive. That is, unless you have 21" tires.

Edit: I just saw that your signature indicates "ContiSilent Turbo 21" ... those are the new "foam-filled for quieter ride" tires, yes? The 21s will hurt your efficiency a bit so you might definitely need to stay the speed limit for the entire trip but the graph will show you this. I had to lower the Speed factor on EV Trip Planner to 1.00x for it to estimate arriving with positive range.

Follow the Falls Creek location on the thread for it as myself and some others are posting regular updates on the status.

Rumor is a supercharger near the Hermitage/Sharon, PA as well as the Bellefonte exit of I-80 will be installed later this year but there isn't construction started yet at either so Falls Creek is the best option for now. Avoid the Pittsburgh-Harrisburg route via the Turnpike as this is longer distance, longer hours, AND costs $20-$30 (EZ Pass vs not). I'd gladly avoid the Turnpike and pocket $20 for a shorter route and if that means having to drive the speed limit for 100 miles then it is the clear winner IMHO. 5.5 hrs @ 330 miles AND $20-$30 in tolls via PA Turnpike vs 3.3 hrs @ 220 miles along I-80? It's clear which route I'd choose.

Grove City to Bloomsburg_GPS Visualizer.jpg
Grove City to Bloomsburg_EVTripPlanner.jpg

Did the trip hampton Inn to Bloomsburg no problem. Started out at 99% on 21 inch Michelin pilot with foam i.e. Acoustic. Latched on to a truck gong 67 and monitored battery. Autopilot one engaged, closest trailing option on speed control. There are definite differences looking at "range" vs kWh/mi. kWh/mi was below 280 most of the time while in this cruising set up. Although ranged from 240 to 380. Last 75 miles were higher speed but still trailing vehicles Suburban size in the 70+mph. Arrived with 20% reading on battery charge.