Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Corte Madera (LIVE 12 Feb 2019, 10 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back again today to check on progress. Not operational, but more accessible. Progress, just not there yet! The 10 urban (72kw) chargers are uncovered. But still roped off. 2 charging stalls are behind the green screen on the left side of the MS. Hoping they throw the switch soon!
IMG_2173.jpg

Now I see that... but the configuration seems backwards... if a wheelchair user backs in, he's going to have to try to get out on his left side, instead of his right side where the no parking zone is. If he pulls in nose first so he can exit to his left through the "no parking" area, the charger cable won't reach. I must be missing something here.

Reactions: Ulmo
It is interesting the one space is painted with "EV Charging ONLY" while the others are not. I wonder why?
There's actually 2 spaces with that same marking, the other is out of the frame to the left. It's because that is the approved ground marking for designating an EVCS as disabled access only in CA. The space to the left will have the blue and white wheelchair sign (the ISA) along with the "EV CHARGING ONLY" ground marking and is therefore fully designated as a disabled access only EVCS. The other stall got the ground painted so that in the future they could expand to 2 disabled access stalls by only putting up another ISA sign. Currently it has a "please use last" courtesy sign. The rest of the spaces don't get the ground marking because Tesla doesn't normally use any ground markings for their supercharger stalls and what's more, in this instance, they aren't for EV charging only. Based on the signage, it's permissible to park in those spaces for a limited time (60 minutes).

For more info: Supercharger Handicap Space

• Helpful
Reactions: goldengate
The freshly opened Alameda Supercharger has similar space paint jobs. Oddly, the signage behind them say: 30 Min. General Parking. I feel they put the wrong signs above those spaces.

The paint is already wearing off, and they were painted more recently than the Corte Madera SpC were painted. Crazy.

-Randy

Just spoke with Tesla staff in mall. They are hoping for a Tuesday (1/15) opening for these! PG&E will be checking things out that day. There will be a 60 minute limit on the 10 stalls. They are Urban Superchargers.
Great news! Let's all hope PG&E comes through on the 15th. BTW the 60 minute limit is for ICE parking. A landlord requirement. Let's hope the ICE owners don't see/understand that.

Seems like the landlord could do with some emails complaining about that policy.... I believe Erin Byrne would be the appropriate contact:
Macerich | Properties | The Village at Corte Madera She may not even be aware that this policy decision was made by someone at a more junior level....?

There are better locations (less congested, less attractive to ICE vehicles) to have located the charger.. I am wondering if they put it by the Tesla store because Tesla may have shared the cost of installation? These spots are very attractive and sought after.

On a positive side, I just sent the Ukiah mayor an email complimenting her on the decision to host a Tesla SC in Ukiah, and said it was the main reason I visited her town yesterday, went shopping and had lunch. Great experience at a SC - easy access and they had "TESLA ONLY" signs erected on orange barricades provided by the town in addition to the regular signage.

Seems like the landlord could do with some emails complaining about that policy.... I believe Erin Byrne would be the appropriate contact:
Macerich | Properties | The Village at Corte Madera She may not even be aware that this policy decision was made by someone at a more junior level....?

There are better locations (less congested, less attractive to ICE vehicles) to have located the charger.. I am wondering if they put it by the Tesla store because Tesla may have shared the cost of installation? These spots are very attractive and sought after.
This was almost certainly more a constraint imposed by the Planning/Zoning approval process than by the property alone and, if so, complaining about it now isn't going to do very much. I guarantee you that Tesla would have asked for and gotten better terms if it was possible. Hopefully, the conditions of approval and Tesla's lease agreement has language to allow revisiting the issue--making some of the spots dedicated charging spots and/or lowering the time limit for general parking--once they reach a specified threshold of charging usage.

Tesla most likely paid for all the installation costs, as that is the norm for their supercharger installations. And siting is most often primarily dictated by proximity to the electrical mains as trenching/boring to get access will be a major construction cost driver. The choice very well could have been that they either go there or they don't get installed at all.

Reactions: Blu Zap and PLUS EV
Yes, zoning dictates that the size of the mall requires the amount of parking places. Allowing ICE parking in the SuC spot gets around that. But why 60 minutes? So the landlord is working to get around the parking requirements. We all know having been to that mall, the parking is very constrained. They are working on a new parking structure on the other side of the mall. I'll take what we can get for the first SuC in Marin County!

Just spoke with Tesla staff in mall. They are hoping for a Tuesday (1/15) opening for these! PG&E will be checking things out that day. There will be a 60 minute limit on the 10 stalls. They are Urban Superchargers.
I also stopped by the location yesterday and the person I talked to also said Tuesday is the planned opening date, but I think he said the PG&E inspection was already completed. Either way, it looks like the yellow tape will be coming off soon!