Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Costa Mesa, CA (LIVE 10 Apr 2023, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great location, right off the 405. Northbound entrance to get back on is just feet away. The only real problem with this site is that there are too few stalls. 24 would have been ideal. FV is often too congested as is. Well, 12 is better than none!

Tesla Superchargers charge too quick. The mall needs shoppers to spend more time, not less time in the mall. What the SCP mall should do is increase the number of the existing free level 2 chargers.
I agree. Even the "Urban" Superchargers are too fast. More destination/L2 chargers are needed at malls.

When I've been in mall SuCs they can be an absolute madhouse, especially at this time of year. Teslas in and out constantly and other mall traffic clogging the works.

Reactions: qwert
Superchargers at the mall aren’t a new concept, Tesla should also be considering that some people consider the surrounding amenities while charging. That’s why you see spots in shopping centers, restaurants, etc. I don’t see how putting it in a furniture store plaza is that great either, cause if you’re shopping for furniture you aren’t making up your mind in 30 minutes or less. If they added one in the mall, people would just have to deal with going back out and moving the car before proceeding with shopping. That’s what I do all the time at the Americana and Los Cerritos. Plus there’s already a supercharger on Newhope.

Superchargers at the mall aren’t a new concept, Tesla should also be considering that some people consider the surrounding amenities while charging. That’s why you see spots in shopping centers, restaurants, etc. I don’t see how putting it in a furniture store plaza is that great either, cause if you’re shopping for furniture you aren’t making up your mind in 30 minutes or less. If they added one in the mall, people would just have to deal with going back out and moving the car before proceeding with shopping. That’s what I do all the time at the Americana and Los Cerritos. Plus there’s already a supercharger on Newhope.
The SoCo mix has food places and cafes so I think it will still work out well there.

Windy day in Costa Mesa led to some good views of the construction. Noticing empty pads for a transformer and a megapack.

Attachments

• 20230222_140713.jpg
    20230222_140713.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 20230222_140702.jpg
    20230222_140702.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20230222_140631.jpg
    20230222_140631.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 20230222_140628.jpg
    20230222_140628.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 133
I received the following response from South Coast Plaza management:

"Thank you for reaching out. We are actively looking at additional locations and units for the site. I would say likely spring next year once we get all permits and equipment."
That is great to hear! I would rather have them charge like $0,10 per kwh and have 50 chargers available than free charging with only 20 chargers available.

Also, the parking space size in Nordstrom side is just criminal. If you are an adult that weights more than 120 lbs, you can't get out of the car.

That is great to hear! I would rather have them charge like $0,10 per kwh and have 50 chargers available than free charging with only 20 chargers available.

Also, the parking space size in Nordstrom side is just criminal. If you are an adult that weights more than 120 lbs, you can't get out of the car.
I refuse to park in that garage on that side of SCP -- door dings are inevitable with how comically tight those parking spaces are.

Reactions: qwert