Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Estes Park, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

evp

Nerd
Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Arvada, CO
Those tricksy hobbitses at Tesla have almost finished a Supercharger behind the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park Co without even telling us.
upload_2018-4-28_23-42-37.jpeg

All it's missing is (as usual) the transformer. Oddly, there are 7 stalls. They might not have had room to put the 8th one in.
upload_2018-4-28_23-46-5.png

@BlueShift: here's the GPS coordinates where the meter should be installed (real soon now).
upload_2018-4-28_23-48-7.png

While we were standing around speculating about things, the actual owner of the Stanley wandered up to talk with us! He bought the place over 20 years ago for Pi million dollars (because it was a "pie in the sky idea") and was floored when his bid was actually accepted. (That's him in the white shirt in the center)
upload_2018-4-28_23-55-8.png

His name is John Cullen, and he's been talking to Tesla for half a year or so about getting a charger in place. (Like everywhere else, getting the permitting takes most of the time.) John's theory is that his hotel sits at the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. People with Teslas will want to have a full charge before they cruise into the park to stare at the heaping gobs of nature that we store there. Also, with a moderately full charge, you can make it from Estes Park to the Silverthorne SC via Trail Ridge Road thru Grand Lake and Kremmling -- 124 miles.

John says that Tesla is talking about starting a yearly road trip from the Bay Area to Estes Park via RMNP, finishing up with a nice party and concert in their brand new glass-walled theater. Oh -- wait a minute, that's not a wall, it's a giant garage door. For summertime concerts, you understand.
upload_2018-4-29_0-7-58.png

upload_2018-4-29_0-8-11.png

So, in conclusion, for anyone having a little range anxiety after climbing from Boulder's 5000 to Estes Park's 7600 feet altitude, here's your anxiety blanket. Walking distance from a fine restaurant, and a hotel that only has a "few" allegedly haunted rooms. The real story of the terrifying Stanley Hotel that inspired "The Shining" (GHOST UPDATE!)

Last edited:
Nice, we stayed at the Stanley two years ago. I charged in the municipal lot next to the library about a half mile away on a 70 amp charger. I got up early to take our car down to the lot for a couple of hours before our daily adventure. We spent a couple of nights there on our way to the Custer SD rally in May.

That is fantastic news and a great story!! I've been looking for that location the last several months, no wonder I couldn't find it!!!

Did the owner mention anything about access to the chargers? Is their a parking fee or anything? In years past, the Stanley would charge for normal parking, I'm hoping they're going to allow free access to Tesla owners.

Thanks again for the post!!

More pictures to be found here: Facebook Estes Park Lunch

@BlueShift has got it up on supercharge.info exactly in the right spot.

@BlueShift is the man. Quietly, he lurks outside the limelight, providing a great service to us all - asking nothing in return. Heck, I don't even know if he owns a Tesla. But if he doesn't, I think we should all throw a few dollars at it and but him one. Lord knows he's put in the time to earn one. I've been following supercharge.info since there were like 13 superchargers. I don't think I've missed a day in 5 years.

1000 people $50 each to buy him a Model 3! Somebody make it happen!

@BlueShift is the man. Quietly, he lurks outside the limelight, providing a great service to us all - asking nothing in return. Heck, I don't even know if he owns a Tesla. But if he doesn't, I think we should all throw a few dollars at it and but him one. Lord knows he's put in the time to earn one. I've been following supercharge.info since there were like 13 superchargers. I don't think I've missed a day in 5 years.

1000 people $50 each to buy him a Model 3! Somebody make it happen!

As of three years ago when I met him, he did not have a Tesla.

Reactions: Piney999
Having a SC here will be a nice addition. Last year when I was out that way (after the rally in Custer) I stopped in at the restaurant Sweet Basilico | Casual Italian Cuisine Estes Park Colorado, the son of the owner has a Model 3 on order (may have the car by now for all I know). It was cool to have a great meal and talk to someone very interested in all things Tesla. I highly recommend that place as well if you're in the area.

I was hoping to make the trek from Boulder to Silverthorne but unfortunately the road was closed as a bunch of snow had fallen just a few days earlier. Though I will say...you can regen quite a bit of range going back down to Boulder. i still laugh about seeing my Wh/Mile drop down to -3 for 30 miles as I made my way back down the mountain.

Reactions: markc2 and MarkoC
We came through Estes Park last summer on our way through Rocky Mountain National Park and stopped at Sweet Basilico to have lunch and charge. On the way out we were fortunate to meet the owner and his son and they were both great guys. The son is really committed to electric cars and convinced his dad to put the destination chargers in. They told us we were more than welcome to leave our car there to charge while we walked around town, whether we had eaten at the restaurant or not. We were glad we had eaten there because the food was very good.

Reactions: markc2
I'm making a road trip from Fort Wayne, IN to Estes Park here in a couple weeks for a friends wedding. I've been watching for this post for quite a while. I am glad to hear it is almost complete :) . I KNOW we can make it but my wife is still very skeptical (we've had 2 really scary trips where we almost didn't make it to our destination). That final leg between Loveland and back has her worried.

Here's hoping the supercharger is complete by May 30th :)

That final leg between Loveland and back has her worried.

Here's hoping the supercharger is complete by May 30th :)

Another factor: US34 between Loveland and Estes Park is closed for construction, supposed to be back in service "in May". Check cotrip.org before you start up the hill, or just try to get directions on Google Maps -- it adamantly refuses to route you up US 34 right now so it must know about the closure.

But don't worry, the detour south thru Lyons is only 54 miles. Granted, it's going to freak you out when you lose an extra 15 or so rated miles going up 2000 feet from Lyons to Estes Park, but coming back down you get to drive that leg free of charge. So to speak.

• Informative
Reactions: kk7p