Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kremmling, CO - Park Avenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it follow the nearby train tracks?

I've rafted on the Colorado out of nearby Pumphouse several times, and the tracks follow the river there.
Yes, they follow the Southern Pacific (now Union Pacific) railroad lines. Before the fiber was put in, copper was used for internal communications and later they opened for telephone service. It's also one possibility of where Sprint got its name: Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Network Telecommunications. After Sprint was spun out, the Anshutz family started Qwest and used their right of way of their railroad holdings to expand the fiber network.

More here: SP and Sprint
Also here: Building the Future-Proof Telco

Yes, they follow the Southern Pacific (now Union Pacific) railroad lines. Before the fiber was put in, copper was used for internal communications and later they opened for telephone service. It's also one possibility of where Sprint got its name: Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Network Telecommunications. After Sprint was spun out, the Anshutz family started Qwest and used their right of way of their railroad holdings to expand the fiber network.

More here: SP and Sprint
Also here: Building the Future-Proof Telco
Are you a fellow packet-pusher?

Nah, I'm just a network engineer and was wondering if you were in the same profession.
Make sense, thanks for enlightening me! I'm an IT all-in-one for a small business so while I do some network engineering, it's pretty lightweight.
I'm also a railfan, though not to foamer levels, so II find it fascinating that a lot of our infrastructure in the west is still dictated by where rail lines were built in the 1800s.

Kremmling is coming along quickly. At this rate, it could be done this month!
download_20200701_190514.jpg
download_20200701_190505.jpg

I was driving to Steamboat on July 12 and though I would swing behind the Kum & Go gas station and found what appeared to be completed and ready to go Super Chargers. I tried to use one. I plugged in and it gave what I though was the correct handshake for charging but no power flowed. Maybe they are just waiting for some inspections from the county or power company. The parking lot and chargers are all clean and ready. Only some landscaping is needed. Very soon these should be working.
Chuck
Kremmling CO.jpg

I was driving to Steamboat on July 12 and though I would swing behind the Kum & Go gas station and found what appeared to be completed and ready to go Super Chargers. I tried to use one. I plugged in and it gave what I though was the correct handshake for charging but no power flowed. Maybe they are just waiting for some inspections from the county or power company. The parking lot and chargers are all clean and ready. Only some landscaping is needed. Very soon these should be working.
Chuck
View attachment 565967

Great that it seems to be almost ready! BTW, are the supercharger cabinets just out of view to the left in this photo? The earlier photos made it look like they were over there - almost looks like they're missing here, but I assume they're just out of the frame...

Edit: I think I see the cabinet shadows on the in this photo...

Reactions: Bacalao
Techs working on the site today. Spoke with one and he said they were local, from right there in Kremmling. So, not a roving crew doing this Supercharger Station. Thought that was interesting.

View attachment 566747
View attachment 566748
They've certainly been making quick progress over the past few weeks, especially compared to the other Supercharger sites under construction in Brighton and Aspen Park.

Reactions: gregoryg
I think it’s great that they’re using local labor!
I thought so too and told him so.

I used the Kum and Go parking space to take off and plug a tire. Got a puncture 10 miles east of the tunnel and had to take the wheel off and plug it on the side of I-70, an "interesting" experience. Figures it would be a rear wheel so I couldn't do it on the car! That plug didn't hold so I put another in when the tire went flat in Kremmling. Nice thing about the Kum and Go is that they have air, so I was able to roll it over to the pump instead of waiting forever for my 12 V pump to fill it. Did a better job with the second plug and it seems to be holding fine. It was a big bolt that penetrated the tread.

Road trip adventures! I'm glad I carry all the necessary tools.

Last edited: