Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Etiquette - What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

So this afternoon I'm at the Edison Supercharger @ Menlo Park Mall and it's about 2pm and this SC I believe has 8 stalls in total and it is busy. All stalls are occupied and the one stall where you pull in to charge nose first does not operate as a heads up.

I notice a black MX waiting and I proceeded to wait too. A MS left and the waiting MX before me took the charging stall accordingly. Minutes later the stall next to this MX was freed up and I proceeded to take that stall to charge. I plug in and the driver in the MX walks around and communicates to me that her stall is not working and can she have my stall bc she was waiting prior to me.

Ok my question to the forum here is what would you do?

Thank you all for the feedback and I think we all would like to hear other's feelings and opinions on this situation so please chime in...

Let me tell what went down and what I did.

I said to this lady who had leopard print body wrap on the grill of her MX on the shelf just below the T emblem I might add just bc it was hilarious, 'What makes you think I should give up my spot just bc yours' doesn't work or bc you're having a problem. These spaces are first come first serve.'

Jane(bc of the leopard print) retorted, 'Isn't that what this whole Tesla thing is all about?' With her palms facing up at hip level.

I replied, 'No that is not what this whole Tesla thing is all about! For you to get what you want, whenever you want it! At the cost or inconvenience of anyone else in your way!?

She then proceeded to shake her head and walk away. I got back in my car and thought for a moment and laughed. I said to myself it's the holiday season and another spot will open up in minutes thinking be a gentleman and I was confident despite being slightly pressed for time planning to run into the mall to round out my holiday shopping before, yes needing to go to work that afternoon as well.

I opened up my window and said, 'It's yours' enjoy it and you're welcome' I then pulled away right into an open spot on the other side of the entrance immediately and plugged right in. That felt good.

In all honesty though, if I were just planning to chill in my MS and listen to music or a podcast or be on a phone call I absolutely would not have given up my rightful charging spot that I too had waited to occupy.

I just didn't want to return to my car and find a high heel imprint from her leopard print heels.

Reactions: Sherlo
A few months ago I drove into an SC after a long road trip with the family (already fatigued with hours charging and waiting in queues).... we were almost home but just needed ~30 miles to get safely over the hill. One spot was free, pulled in, but it was not working. Another spot opened then filled.

When I pulled out to wait for another spot, the other driver immediately got out and said I should take his spot since we were there before him and got the broken stall. Zero attitude. He was a gentlemen. We were very grateful.

I think that's the type of person "Jane" was referring to when she said '"Isn't that what this whole Tesla thing is all about..."

Long line or were you the only two? Other drivers in vehicles visible or all empty (people in the mall)? You needed an hour of charge or just a top off?

My first instinct, if I had seen the MS at the "broken" stall appeared to have been there long enough to charge, would be to check on her setup, ask if she needed 15 min or 50 min, and likely offer my spot (assuming I needed 30 min or less).

A few months ago I drove into an SC after a long road trip with the family (already fatigued with hours charging and waiting in queues).... we were almost home but just needed ~30 miles to get safely over the hill. One spot was free, pulled in, but it was not working. Another spot opened then filled.

When I pulled out to wait for another spot, the other driver immediately got out and said I should take his spot since we were there before him and got the broken stall. Zero attitude. He was a gentlemen. We were very grateful.

I think that's the type of person "Jane" was referring to when she said '"Isn't that what this whole Tesla thing is all about..."

I disagree and do not think that is how "Jane" intended it. I appreciate your story and it differs because the gentleman observed your plight and offered to help without you asking, whereas Jane couldn't be inconvenienced and would rather inconvenience someone else. I would not ask and put someone on the spot as Jane did. I would try to leave a note or make it clear for everyone else that a stall is down and then wait for my turn again at a free stall.

Also, if it's Menlo Park, there are several Supercharger stations nearby in the Bay Area. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and speed to the next Supercharger location (I've had to do that before).

Reactions: lnsh
@FoxSTL2HOU we were the only two waiting and I needed a good hour to charge to reach my destination getting there with less than 20% state of charge at the time.

@aaron0k the difference is that in your situation the gentleman offered you his place but in my situation this lady expected it of me to move for her and that she was entitled to my spot. She was wrong IMHO just for asking and putting me in the situation to even address it. Night and day

[USER=13078]@aaron0k the difference is that in your situation the gentleman offered you his place but in my situation this lady expected it of me to move for her and that she was entitled to my spot. She was wrong IMHO just for asking and putting me in the situation to even address it. Night and day[/USER]

If she had pulled out and and got back in queue... would you have offered?

I said to myself it's the holiday season and another spot will open up in minutes thinking be a gentleman...

...if I were just planning to chill in my MS and listen to music or a podcast or be on a phone call I absolutely would not have given up my rightful charging spot...

I just didn't want to return to my car and find a high heel imprint from her leopard print heels.

Last edited:
Yes if I had recognized the situation I would have offered, especially since I observed she was likely traveling more than myself with NY tags being in NJ

Good.

While I agree, she put you on the 'spot'... from your description she may as well been trying to 'communicate' her circumstance to you. Hard to judge since body language and tone are part of the equation.

'What makes you think I should give up my spot just bc yours' doesn't work or bc you're having a problem. These spaces are first come first serve.'

However, your response could have been more politely phrased... IMHO.

Tip of the day...A good way to signal to others that a stall is in-operative is to leave the cable hanging down, instead of plugging it back into its holder. Makes it obviousto the next person that the charger is out of order.

I have seen people pulling out of no operating slots. People in line tend to let him go to the front of the line.

Asking someone already plugged in to restage is on the edge of entitled.

Tip of the day...A good way to signal to others that a stall is in-operative is to leave the cable hanging down, instead of plugging it back into its holder. Makes it obviousto the next person that the charger is out of order.

I have seen people pulling out of no operating slots. People in line tend to let him go to the front of the line.

Asking someone already plugged in to restage is on the edge of entitled.

i think the universal sign is putting it on top of the charger. but theres lots of new drivers, they'll just derp their way in, find out its not working then put it back in the socket.

Yes if I had recognized the situation I would have offered, especially since I observed she was likely traveling more than myself with NY tags being in NJ
Well, there you go. I was gonna ask if you were both from Jersey. It was attitude testing from Jane and you stood up. Good for you. Usually Jane will get her way and she tried but failed.

Used to live in the city and central Jersey so I get it. What would have made sense to me was to assert that obviously the stall she couldn't get to work had been working since a car just left. Was it the one paired with you? Probably not and what happened was that her paired car picked up the full rate when the previous car left. Then she pulls in and only gets 30kW or so. Thinks that's not what should happen and presto, her attempt to get your spot.