Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fontana, CA (LIVE 29 Mar 2019, 24 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove by today, Saturday April 21, and they were doing construction on the site. The crew was cleaning rocks and debris from the parking lot asphalt, and all of the electrical seemed to be closed up and set in place. Most of the stalls are still wrapped in green, as are the transformers, but they look "finished".

I spoke with one of the guys there, and asked when they were done. He indicated they were just doing the concrete, and would be done "this week". If the concrete is being completed, I'm nearly certain that the electrical is laid and ready for service to begin (for fear something is wrong, and they need to "fix" something). So don't put money on it, but I am guessing that this Supercharger will be online and delivering power by next week, or May 1 2018.

I'm looking forward to it, since I'm in the process of moving to the area, and my house will be 1.5 miles away.

Here's some pictures of the progress. Doesn't visibly look much further along than my last bunch of pictures, but they look more refined and closer to completion from a construction standpoint. Also, I'm not sure if this is common, but this is the first time I've seen handicapped marked Tesla charger stalls?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180421_162857.jpg
    MVIMG_20180421_162857.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 173
  • PANO_20180421_162806.jpg
    PANO_20180421_162806.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 174
  • MVIMG_20180421_162922.jpg
    MVIMG_20180421_162922.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 170
For people who are planning to charge here on the way to Vegas on a Friday evening, you need to watch the traffic on the exit to this shopping center. It is the Summit Ave exit on the 15 and it could be a parking lot on the fwy passing the 210. There is always some kind of construction on the 15 North and with Friday traffic you could be waiting for 20 minutes to reach 1 exit. Same with leaving here to Vegas on Friday evening... sometime it is faster to take the 210 East to the 215 North and merge back to the 15.

Reactions: williamd314
I drove by today, Saturday April 21, and they were doing construction on the site. The crew was cleaning rocks and debris from the parking lot asphalt, and all of the electrical seemed to be closed up and set in place. Most of the stalls are still wrapped in green, as are the transformers, but they look "finished".

The white cabinets contain the charger electronics that convert 440V 3-phase AC to the DC voltage that varies as the car's battery pack charges. They are not transformers. One single large heavy green unit will be the transformer, which steps down the 3-phase distribution AC, which can be as 30KV, to 440V. For this size Supercharger site, the transformer will be large, probably supplying as much power as all the other buildings nearby. This transformer is procured and installed by the utility, which in this case is SCE. There is often considerable delay before SCE gets the transformer installed, but sometimes they surprise us. Thanks for the good pictures.

20180503_145242.jpg

Transformer will be installed over cement structure to the right. Still work to be done on wiring to distribution panel behind it. Yes wiring to the charging pedestals seems about done. Three workers we're busy but I chatted with one and he had no estimate of completion. The same team did both the 40 stall installation at Baker & at Kettleman City. After completion of the Chargers at Lake Elsinore about 2 months ago it took another 3 weeks or so for SCE to install the Transformer.
Eating options at Del Taco Korean BBQ Starbucks and Panera Bread. Loads of parking at Target but traffic on the streets is quite heavy.
20180503_145716.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Eating options at Del Taco Korean BBQ Starbucks and Panera Bread. Loads of parking at Target but traffic on the streets is quite heavy.View attachment 298716

I think you meant Hawaiian BBQ. I would love to that Korean BBQ there though LOL. If you want Korean BBQ, there is one 2 exits south on the 15 on Foothill. I think the best restaurant in that plaza is Summa Sushi at the other end of the lot. Their Sushi is really good but not cheap though.

For people who are planning to charge here on the way to Vegas on a Friday evening, you need to watch the traffic on the exit to this shopping center. It is the Summit Ave exit on the 15 and it could be a parking lot on the fwy passing the 210. There is always some kind of construction on the 15 North and with Friday traffic you could be waiting for 20 minutes to reach 1 exit. Same with leaving here to Vegas on Friday evening... sometime it is faster to take the 210 East to the 215 North and merge back to the 15.
My guess is this will be very popular on the way back from Vegas. It's about 200 miles.

I don't think I'd ever stop on the way, since it's only 50 miles away for me, and most people will be similar.

When I visited this site last week, Tuesday about 3pm, traffic on I-15 was very light, full speed, but it took me about 6 to 8 minutes to progress through the traffic backup on the exit ramp. This seemed to be normal, no obstructions. I would think this delay could get worse during normal heavy traffic on I-15.

When I visited this site last week, Tuesday about 3pm, traffic on I-15 was very light, full speed, but it took me about 6 to 8 minutes to progress through the traffic backup on the exit ramp. This seemed to be normal, no obstructions. I would think this delay could get worse during normal heavy traffic on I-15.

It will look just like this when the traffic on 15 is really bad (long weekend Friday night). That's Summit Exit ahead.

summit_exit.JPG