TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Fontana, CA (LIVE 29 Mar 2019, 24 Urban type)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by williamd314, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

This is very typical for Friday evenings, when people get off work and head for Las Vegas. It's a long 20-mile parking lot up the Cajon.

• Informative x 1
  2. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Update photos 5-27-18:

A_Bunch_of_Chargers.JPG Finishing_Cap.JPG Ready_for_backfill.JPG Ready_for_Backfill2.JPG

• Like x 5
  3. williamd314

williamd314 Member

Beat me to it! Took this photo earlier.
    PANO_20180527_115052.jpg

• Like x 2
  4. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Elon says this one opens in "Summer 2018", which is only 25 days from today. Might make it.

5. pkodali

pkodali Member

Probably uses the end of the season as the estimated deadline rather than the beginning

6. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Or the next year....

7. tbleakne

tbleakne Member

Yes, great pics, better than mine taken 5-26 which I did not post. Great that you were able to get your camera above the fence. I was disappointed to see that the cabling from the transformer pad in the foreground to the distribution cabinet behind it was not complete. Usually that is done before the transformer is delivered. Perhaps it is being done this week.

It could be some time (several weeks) before SCE gets around to bringing in the transformer, which they procure. I have monitored the construction of 3 SC, Rancho Cucamonga, Riverside, and Lake Elsinore, but I have never witnessed the transformer delivery. For this size, 2 MW, it probably takes a small crane because it is so heavy, but the installation and connection to the high distribution voltage (as much as 30 kV), probably takes only a day if the cabling is in place. Inspection and Tesla commissioning should take less than a day each. Two MW is a lot of power.

• Informative x 2
  8. TerranApart

TerranApart Member

I've always been curious to know what transformer capacity Tesla uses for these SC installs, but never got a chance to look at one of the transformers to find out. Thanks for solving the mystery!

As a side note, for us electrical nerds, distribution in that area is 12kV, so it'll likely be a 12000V/6930V to 480V/277V transformer.

• Informative x 1
  9. smak

smak Member

I'm going to be driving back from Vegas on 6/17. What are the chances it'll be open?

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

No way to know, so don’t count on it.

11. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

..count on having range to making it to Rancho Cucamonga ;)

12. cybergates

cybergates Member

San Bernardino looks done for a while now. That's more likely to open by 6/17

13. tbleakne

tbleakne Member

Yes last report on San Bernardino thread from srvan1 dated May 30. SCE took a long time, since late April.

14. tbleakne

tbleakne Member

Visited Fontana site today, Tuesday, June 5. No progress beyond Sharkbait's photos from May 27. Also visited San Bernardino SC site. It is very close to going live, with SCE active at site. See my photo on that thread.

15. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Member

Still watching the paint dry. Don't remember the little gravel pile from last time. These were taken a couple hours ago:

IMG_3783.JPG IMG_6234.JPG IMG_4243.JPG

16. cybergates

cybergates Member

FYI: while we're waiting for fontana to take the load off of rancho cucamonga -> san bernardino is open on the map officially as of FYI 6/8 and there were only 2 of us there on a friday evening.

• Like x 2
  17. williamd314

williamd314 Member

I live nearby now, and I'm chomping at the bit for this location to open. I drove by 2 days ago, and they added more gravel piles. I'm assuming that's the fill for whenever SCE installs the transformer. A new pickup truck was parked out there yesterday, as well as an enclosed trailer, but nothing new to report really. I've seen SCE active in the area the last few days, so I know they're getting stuff done.

Since I transferred service, SCE didn't set me up on ToU for my new house. The cost of charging my car is crazy at home, so I'm using the nearby Superchargers until the bill cycles and can get back onto ToU. I'll give San Bernardino a try sometime this week.

18. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

QFP.

This is for all the people who say that no Tesla owner would ever charge at a supercharger to save a few bucks! :)

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. williamd314

williamd314 Member

Hey, I bought a car with free charging for life, so I'm going to charge for free, especially when the inconvenience is outweighed by the cost of charging at home (until my utilities company gets their *sugar* together next month). :D

20. Need

Need Active Member

Actually if you live nearby, there isn't going to be much inconvenience for Supercharging at that location. Pretty much everyone lives in Hunter's Ridge, Summit Heights, or Brentwood shops at that Target and that Stater Brother. A 30 min shopping stop could easily get 80 miles or so charge. And then there is that 24 hours fitness. You work out for an hour, you lost 1 lb, your car gained 120 miles LOL.

Except for Friday and Sunday evening, this location will be mostly used by local owners.