Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fontana, CA (LIVE 29 Mar 2019, 24 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thursday 6:45 am empty as can be.

Attachments

• F4CC28D2-8DDB-480E-933E-B85F957F1D36.jpeg
    F4CC28D2-8DDB-480E-933E-B85F957F1D36.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 117
Just charged twice here (one on the way up to Lake Arrowhead, and one on the way back).
Overall, this seems like a great location: easy to find and very accessible from the 210 and I-15, well-lit at night, good amenities, plenty of charging stalls. The only thing off is that the occupied charger count on the map seems to be a few stalls higher than actual use. Perhaps there are still issues with a few of the stalls.

As others have pondered, it seems strange that Rancho Cucamonga is so busy and Fontana is so underused. Unless RC is filled with locals, I don't see why someone would fight for a ~30kW shared stall when they could get 72kW just a few miles down I-15.

This location has a 1500kVA transformer, by the way. 480V switchgear is 2500A.

Just charged twice here (one on the way up to Lake Arrowhead, and one on the way back).
Overall, this seems like a great location: easy to find and very accessible from the 210 and I-15, well-lit at night, good amenities, plenty of charging stalls. The only thing off is that the occupied charger count on the map seems to be a few stalls higher than actual use. Perhaps there are still issues with a few of the stalls.

As others have pondered, it seems strange that Rancho Cucamonga is so busy and Fontana is so underused. Unless RC is filled with locals, I don't see why someone would fight for a ~30kW shared stall when they could get 72kW just a few miles down I-15.

This location has a 1500kVA transformer, by the way. 480V switchgear is 2500A.

Rancho is busy because the Victoria Gardens makes it convenient to kill time. Fontana you would have to walk to Target or have a gym session to not sit around.

Also, people are incredible creatures of habit. Barstow stayed crowded for a while after a much better (IMO) supercharger location opened at Yermo a few miles down the road. I think people just get used to charging at one place and get used to whatever activities they do there. And almost no one is considering what's best for other drivers or the supercharger network as a whole.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
Rancho is busy because the Victoria Gardens makes it convenient to kill time. Fontana you would have to walk to Target or have a gym session to not sit around.

I live a few mins from Rancho SC. I've decided to not charge there when it is 50% or more full cause you will have to split power and 30 kW is common. Last time I went I was down to 13 kW. It's faster to just to drive a few miles to Fontana for 70kW dedicated and buy a few groceries at Target. I have been to Fontana SC on a long weekend and have seen 19/24 stalls utilized and I have been there and I am 1/24.

I've never met another local at Rancho SC.

So you may ask, why would I even charge at RC? I don't have Level 2 home charging yet. I charge at work, but I usually drive 200-300 miles in a weekend in addition to my commute, so I need to SC at least once during the weekend.

19/24 and 1/24
IMG_20190825_095432__01.jpg

IMG_20190714_152151.jpg

I live a few mins from Rancho SC. I've decided to not charge there when it is 50% or more full cause you will have to split power and 30 kW is common. Last time I went I was down to 13 kW. It's faster to just to drive a few miles to Fontana for 70kW dedicated and buy a few groceries at Target. I have been to Fontana SC on a long weekend and have seen 19/24 stalls utilized and I have been there and I am 1/24.

I've never met another local at Rancho SC.

So you may ask, why would I even charge at RC? I don't have Level 2 home charging yet. I charge at work, but I usually drive 200-300 miles in a weekend in addition to my commute, so I need to SC at least once during the weekend.

19/24 and 1/24
View attachment 455754
View attachment 455753

Same situation for me as well, except I dont plan on putting charging at my home at all.I charge at work for free then SC for free as I have a 2014 P85D. Im at the fontana charger 1 or 2x every weekend. usually walk over to 5 guys for a bite to eat then car is usually done by then. No point to go to Rancho unless its super early in the morning or super late at night and you have to get lucky not to have to share power. IMO just better to go to Fontana and be guaranteed a good charge rate.

Reactions: K3Man
Same situation for me as well, except I dont plan on putting charging at my home at all.I charge at work for free then SC for free as I have a 2014 P85D. Im at the fontana charger 1 or 2x every weekend. usually walk over to 5 guys for a bite to eat then car is usually done by then. No point to go to Rancho unless its super early in the morning or super late at night and you have to get lucky not to have to share power. IMO just better to go to Fontana and be guaranteed a good charge rate.

I charged at rancho on Oct 10 and got 4 kW for over an hour! fine by me as I was having lunch and didn't have to move my car. I will be in Fontana to juice up before blitzing through Hwy 2.

received_337541787040079.jpeg