Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger for the Roadster (Elon said "No")

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
even better than supercharging, is the 400 mile (give or take) battery pack.

+1.

If given the choice of either a 350 mile pack and supercharging, I'd choose the 350 mile pack. That's about as much as I'd want to drive in a day in Roadster anyway, so that works perfectly for me.

a 70amp HPC over on the side of each Supercharger installation (and haven't received, btw)

+100

Not doing that is just insulting Roadster owners. It's a complete slap in the face. Honestly, I'd be happier today with Roadster connectors at SuperCharging locations than the 400 mile pack. I don't mind stopping every 200 miles or so to charge and eat something and there aren't many 70 amp L2s around.

Well the good news is that with henry's Model S HPWC adapter, you'll soon be able to get 70 amps anywhere you can find an HPWC delivering up to 80 amps ... service centers, Model S (or X) owner's home, etc. That's going to open up our options substantially. And while he has suspended shipment temporarily while tracking down that elusive bug, Tesla has reached out to help with troubleshooting. So we should have that adapter shortly.

Just for reference according to this article Tesla has not still took a decision about this Supercharging matter (at least till to 16 July).

Elon Musk: Were Offering Tesla Roadster Electric Car Owners a 400 Mile Battery Pack Upgrade

We’d guess that any battery upgrade would be offered in a similar vein, and hope that Supercharging capability would also be offered to make the Roadster a much more versatile vehicle. Since Tesla hasn’t released the details of the upgrade yet, we’re a little in the dark as to what exactly will be upgraded, however.

Raffy! Stop! You are again quoting the author, not Tesla. Tesla did not say that. The article's author said that. Please stop throwing this stuff out there and attributing it to Tesla. Please. This kind of post just confuses the issue and starts rumors and is not helpful.

Just for reference according to this article Tesla has not still took a decision about this Supercharging matter (at least till to 16 July).

Once again, this is speculation from a journalist and not new information from Tesla. Every direct message from Tesla has been very clear that Supercharging is not going to happen.

Personally I didn't buy the Roadster for long road trips and I'm not expecting major design changes to enable cross-country travel. The 400 mile upgrade covers more range than I'd ever use in one day and makes Supercharging a lot less relevant.

Sorry Bonnie. It's not my fault if the article's author reported a not true fact.

No, the author said they hoped Tesla would do that. They did not report Tesla said that. You misinterpreted what you read. Please read it again, Raffy. I understand that for some reason you care very much that Tesla does this (though I don't understand why you want this so badly) - but it doesn't make it okay to keep reporting that Tesla has said things or Elon has said things, when that is not the case.

I know your intent is not bad, but it is causing problems.

No, the author said they hoped Tesla would do that. They did not report Tesla said that. You misinterpreted what you read. Please read it again, Raffy. I understand that for some reason you care very much that Tesla does this (though I don't understand why you want this so badly) - but it doesn't make it okay to keep reporting that Tesla has said things or Elon has said things, when that is not the case.

I know your intent is not bad, but it is causing problems.

Sorry as I said I reported the article only for reference. Feel free to remove my post from this thread if it's causing problems.

Actually, when did Elon explicitly say that the Roadster would never have supercharging? I thought he simply didn't say anything about supercharging at all.

Teslive keynote. He was asked by an audience member about Supercharging for the Roadster, and he said that the Roadster is not compatible with Supercharging because it lacks the DC bypass switch. He also said they do not plan to modify the Roadster to make that possible. He was pretty clear that it would not happen.

Actually, when did Elon explicitly say that the Roadster would never have supercharging? I thought he simply didn't say anything about supercharging at all.

I don't have a link, but it was either at TESLIVE last year or an earnings call around the same time when he was asked if Supercharging could be added to the Roadster. He said it would be too significant a design change, the architecture didn't support it, and it wasn't in the cards.

He said it at TESLIVE last year. I also believe there was a question at the earnings call, where the person was asking about just having a 70amp connection at the supercharger locations, and Elon misheard and thought they were asking for supercharging - and the answer was no.

It's your fault for repeating something that is simply untrue and then saying that it could happen. Don't do it.

Don't agree. I simply reported the article. I didn't know the facts reported by the article were not true. In fact after my post it has been clarified when Elon said that Supercharging is not compatible with the Roadster.
As I said I reported the article for reference without adding any comment about it. I didn' say that it could happen. Please read carefully my post. My post refers only to the article. No mention to my opinion on this matter. I have also been given negative points to that post maybe because the moderator thought that I was expressing my opinion on this matter as you thought. But it's not like this. It was only a post reporting an article for reference. Again I didn't know the facts reported by the article were not true. From this point of view I think my post helped to clarify this matter.

Last edited:
Don't agree. I simply reported the article. I didn't know the facts reported by the article were not true. In fact after my post it has been clarified when Elon said that Supercharging is not compatible with the Roadster.

It is very clear from the article that the writer is "speaking" in the part that you quoted. This was not a quote from someone at Tesla. It merely indicates that the writer was unaware of the facts and is simply speculating in the absence of information; whereas in fact we have unambiguous statements from Elon about this subject.

We have to be very careful about such things. We do not want to falsely get people's hopes up. Expecting Supercharger access at this point is unrealistic and almost certainly will lead to disappointment.

It is very clear from the article that the writer is "speaking" in the part that you quoted. This was not a quote from someone at Tesla. It merely indicates that the writer was unaware of the facts and is simply speculating in the absence of information; whereas in fact we have unambiguous statements from Elon about this subject.

Agree. Then my post has been useful to clarify what Elon said. As you saw some people didn't know what Elon said. And what's most important I would like to point out that in my post there was no reference at all to my opinion on this matter.

Ummm, okay. Or we could have just stuck with not misinterpreting articles and then posting that misinterpretation as fact. Another approach to consider. ... Mistakes happen, but I think the frustrating thing for us here is that there has been a flat out refusal to accept that perhaps a mistake was made.

Reminds me of when someone once wrongly accused me of having completely expanded the vendors for an event, making it totally over the top. When they found out I had nothing to do with it, the only recognition they'd been wrong was, 'Well, it sure sounded like something you'd do.'

I laughed for days.

Roadster Supercharging?

The Roadster 3.0 update announcement doesn't include Supercharging. I wasn't expecting Tesla to add Supercharging to the Roadster. It seems to me like the engineering cost would be prohibitive for a tiny, and sadly shrinking, market.

What do others think?