Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gilroy, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Construction has begun! Lot is torn up and taped off. Important to know is that there are only 3 chargers on the right side at present (instead of 4) and on the leftside we're down to 5 instead of 6. Hopefully all are functioning.

I have photos I took at night and will upload when we get back home.

Not sure how many photos you guys would like to see but here's the what they've done to the enclosure. Was kind of shocked to see the wall down. Guessing that's how they'll move equipment inside the space.

GilroySC_Start - 1.jpg GilroySC_Start - 2.jpg GilroySC_Start - 3.jpg GilroySC_Start - 4.jpg GilroySC_Start - 5.jpg GilroySC_Start - 6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Views of the construction vehicles and the trenching from the enclosure

GilroySC_Start2 - 1.jpg GilroySC_Start2 - 1 (1).jpg GilroySC_Start2 - 2.jpg

and then additional photos looking L to R from the EVgos to the area across from stalls 1a-b, 2a-b. Stall 3a is still open but 4a closest to the enclosure is closed off. Stalls 5a-b and 6a are open on the other side of the enclosure and for some unknown reason 6b had a cone in the parking space so no one was parking there.

GilroySC_Start2 - 6.jpg GilroySC_Start2 - 5.jpg GilroySC_Start2 - 4.jpg GilroySC_Start2 - 3.jpg

I'm still thinking there will be 4 chargers installed down from the EVgo stalls.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
The small parking section at the very end of this row of spaces currently has all the excess dirt placed on it and I didn't see trenching in that area. The trenching seemed to end across from stall 2a.

GilroySC_Start3 - 1.jpg

Not sure what to make of the markings on the right hand side of the enclosure where the wall was taken down. There were markings in front of the curb there as well.

GilroySC_Start3 - 2.jpg GilroySC_Start3 - 3.jpg GilroySC_Start3 - 4.jpg GilroySC_Start3 - 5.jpg GilroySC_Start3 - 6.jpg

Great information! I'm curious if they're expanding the equipment area, pad, enclosure, etc., into that parking spot, to hold more equipment. Ideas?
  • They plan on expanding more than by 4 to 6 pedestals, so need more charging cabinet space.
  • They are adding more batteries.
We didn't see anything related to a solar canopy footing, I take it.

Elmo, No pretty much what you saw in the photos that night. They just had stacks of pipes and boxes of materials in another section behind the porta potty that night. Expanding the enclosure out to the right was something I thought they might do to use that unused parking space but it could be that they just tore the wall down as easier access for installing equipment instead of moving the fencing. Wish we had some utility workers on here who could interpret the markings on that side. Should know soon in any event.

I won't get down that way for errands until maybe Tuesday when I have to take my Toyota into the SC down there. But will swing by and see what progress they've made. Sure with the weekend here already there will be others down there before then and hopefully reporting.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
I'm here at the SC now.

They are installing six, as surmized earlier. Two are adjactent the existing equipment and the existing pull forward in stalls, and the new stalls are both back in stalls, and four new stalls are across the driveway spanning a whole bay of four stalls. All six pedestal stubs are up, four across driveway already concreted into place, and ditch across driveway filled.

I took many pictures, but posting them won't cause net probable benefit now.

All existing stalls are operational (lit up), but #5A is being used for construction work space, so unavailable; the rest were in use and working.

My guess is all construction will be finished in under a week, before the holiday, but lately delay from construction complete to turn on has been significant, however, they may be going faster for the recent push.

Last edited:
Didn't need to charge but in area so stopped by to see the progress. Getting there. Spoke with one of the workers. Said he thought maybe they would be finished by/on Thursday. So in time for the holiday weekend travelers. Several of the existing chargers were kind of blocked off from use due to the workers (maybe 3 of the 10). BTW last week when we were down there to charge we had a good rate on the right side of the enclosure (90kW @ about 30% SOC I think).

GilroySC_Tues - 1.jpg GilroySC_Tues - 2.jpg GilroySC_Tues - 3.jpg

Charging now. 2-3 other cars here. Another pulled in. Looks like all 16 stalls are operational with cars parked in the 3 charging areas. We're in older stall 6a and getting 90+kW at 33%.

As for construction work, looks like some things are still left to do, maybe some landscaping and the right wall of the enclosure hasn't been rebuilt. The two new back-in stalls to the right of the enclosure are numbered 4b and 3b (L to R). So pair to the 2 stalls on the left of the enclosure...harder to see if you are paired with someone on the other side of the enclosure...kind of weird.

Tesla 4b3b - 1.jpg

Well leaving and have to add that the car does a great job filtering out odors. We have the PUP air package. The SC are near ag fields and definite strong chemical/fertilizer smell in the night air while removing the charger.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: McManX and Ulmo
Fast work by Tesla & contractors!

Here it took only 10 days of physical construction to turn on for a location that already had all PG&E side taken care of and only needed non-utility construction. It took under 3 weeks from time of first markings. It seems that the real slowdown is the utility, when it's involved, and when it's not involved, great!

I wonder how much the existing battery helped with the capacity provisioning. I think it might have been a huge factor.

Was here yesterday (Sunday), early evening. About 8 of the 16 stalls were in use. Got a sustained charging rate of 106kW in stall 7B, which is one of the new ones, across the aisle from the original stalls.

We were initially going to avoid Gilroy and charge at Seaside instead, but it was full. Wonder if others had the same thought. I was pleasantly surprised to find a spot at Gilroy on a holiday weekend (granted, not the final day of the weekend, but still.)

Good to know thecloud. Next time we are down there will try using the new set of 4. Are you getting that high of a rate because you are a P?

The updated supercharger map is really helpful with the "status" of stalls added, definite plus although no way of showing how many are waiting like in Mt. View the other day when we pulled it up on the screen and saw all full. Always a bad sign there and even if you are driving there with open spots showing status can change quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Good to know thecloud. Next time we are down there will try using the new set of 4. Are you getting that high of a rate because you are a P?
P is about the larger motor and has nothing to do with the battery or charging rate, as far as I know. What I think might explain it: this stall had a brand new charging unit, whose contacts haven't had a chance to degrade through constant use. (I noticed that when I unplugged, the handle wasn't really even warm to the touch.) Also, I probably haven't supercharged my car often enough to run into any limit yet.

The updated supercharger map is really helpful with the "status" of stalls added, definite plus although no way of showing how many are waiting like in Mt. View the other day when we pulled it up on the screen and saw all full. Always a bad sign there and even if you are driving there with open spots showing status can change quickly.
yeah... we watched the Seaside location go from '4 of 6 stalls filled' to '6 of 6 stalls filled' in the span of a few minutes as we were driving up Del Monte from Monterey. I still think it's useful information to have, and seeing that Gilroy had plenty of open spots helped make our decision to bypass Seaside an easy one.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMAlset