Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gilroy, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up. Was down there a little while ago and some of the older backin stalls near the road to the left of the enclosure are having issues. I was in 2a and getting only 6-40kW and the guy who pulled into 1b plug in and it kept quitting on him. The lady nearest the enclosure, forget the number, said she moved 3 times on that side before moving there and was finally getting a good rate in that spot.

The new stalls 7-8 were fine and I was getting in the 90s at 5a. I did call it in to report 1b and 2a and they said they were aware of some problems done there but not which stalls so just a reminder to people to call in while you are there to report issues. Phone number is on the charger.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and Macbest
Just a heads up. Was down there a little while ago and some of the older backin stalls near the road to the left of the enclosure are having issues. I was in 2a and getting only 6-40kW and the guy who pulled into 1b plug in and it kept quitting on him. The lady nearest the enclosure, forget the number, said she moved 3 times on that side before moving there and was finally getting a good rate in that spot.

The new stalls 7-8 were fine and I was getting in the 90s at 5a. I did call it in to report 1b and 2a and they said they were aware of some problems done there but not which stalls so just a reminder to people to call in while you are there to report issues. Phone number is on the charger.
Had similar experiences last Thursday and yesterday.
Thursday: newer stall was perfect and fast.
Sunday: back-in charger next to enclosure was slow, stuck at 50kw. I moved to the last pull-in stall (still an older one IIRC) and got back to 120kw.

Did anyone else notice the Leaf charging off the ChaDemo station near the newer stalls? I think it is either gas or diesel powered, as a motor was running the entire time as the leaf was charging. Am I mistaken?

slight correction CHAdeMO...just for accuracy. Not to derail the Gilroy SC thread, but theThe leaf was charging off this stall and the CHAdeMO charging equipment diesel or gas motor was running, how is this cleaner energy? Just curious.

Did anyone else notice the Leaf charging off the ChaDemo station near the newer stalls? I think it is either gas or diesel powered, as a motor was running the entire time as the leaf was charging. Am I mistaken?
I don’t understand what you are describing. I’ve been to this location many times and have noted the two CHAdeMO and two CCS/SAE chargers there which are operated by EVgo. They are not powered by a fossil fuel generator onsite.

Are you saying that you saw a generator parked next to those chargers which was wired in to them and operating, as if the regular electrical power supply to them was not working?

Those EVgo stations are kinda loud because all the equipment is contained within the unit. What you're hearing are cooling fans running with lots of airflow. It's not using an ICE generator.

The Tesla superchargers make noise too. It's just that the power electronics and cooling equipment are hidden in a shed some yards away from the charging pedestals.

How many stalls are active at Gilroy now? Tesla website says 18...

upload_2017-12-4_18-35-0.png

@Chuq you are quite right about the Tesla website “Find Us” page stating that there are 18 stalls. Hmm... I’ve been to Gilroy many many times in the past four years. I went back to the beginning of this thread (in early 2013 when there were just 4 stalls) and went through all the posts. The site was expanded with 6 new stalls (on the street side) and then expanded again earlier this year with 4 or 6 stalls depending on which posts you believe. ;)

I thought I had counted 16 stalls while charging there earlier this year after the latest expansion. While the Tesla website currently shows “18” stalls, the in car nav shows 16. So I think the website is wrong. I’m going to leave the thread title count at 16 unless someone can prove me wrong.

Last edited:
How many stalls are active at Gilroy now? Tesla website says 18...

View attachment 264549

Trust us, the website is incorrect. Been there many times before and after the latest round of construction.

FWIW, there were 10 older stalls: 6 to the left of the enclosure and 4 to the right before the site was increased (1a/b, 2a/b, 3a, 4a -- 5a/b & 6a/b. There were 2 empty stalls on the right of the enclosure closest to it that were not built out but were accounted for in the numbering sequencing. During this last build out they added 4 new stalls, 7a&b and 8a&b, across the drive path from the others and filled in those 2 empty stalls on the right of the enclosure as 4b and 3b, LtoR. So now we have a full complement of 1a&b thru 8a&b for 16 stalls. Title of the thread is correct and Nav is correct, Tesla's website is wrong (likely because someone in an office updating the site didn't realize that 2 of the new stalls already had numbers assigned to them).

In fact I posted a photo of those two mismatched pairing stalls (4b and 3b, LtoR) located on the right of the enclosure after they were added recently: Supercharger - Gilroy (Expanded in 2017 to 16 stalls)

I just dropped them feedback for their website to correct this so there's no further confusion on this.

Last edited:
...and then expanded again earlier this year with 4 or 6 stalls depending on which posts you believe. ;)

It’s not about what one believes.
It’s 6. ;)

And for the sake of adding some value here, I stopped by on Black Friday during an LA-->Bay trip. It was a MESS and I barely got the last open stall and I've never seen the parking lot so crowded. Leavesly road was PACKED with parked cars on either side for a good ~200 yards east of Mickey Dees.

In n out was 30 orders behind. :eek:

Last edited:
Yep, it's a real traffic bottleneck down there during Thanksgiving weekend so not at all surprised to hear that the Gilroy Supercharger was maxed out when you were passing through. Were you able to get a decent charge? In and Out btw seems always packed during the weekend nights when we've been down there and that parking lot area going to the superchargers sees a lot of overflow of cars who just park and walk in instead of lining up in the drive thru.

For every Black Friday I can think of starting Thanksgiving day when stores started opening up then, there is a constant steady stream of cars that heads south to Gilroy from 101N going to the outlets for holiday shopping sales. Generally bumper to bumper and slow and steady. News reports would feature 101 and the parking lots of the outlets basically at a standstill even after midnight and into the early morning hours. Adding to that you have people trying to make it further south on 101 to Gilroy Crossings (shopping center), Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Target and dozens of other stores and down the state or heading east at 152 near the outlets to head towards Los Banos and I-5. Local residents avoid 101S if they can but even Monterey Road and Santa Teresa will get heavy traffic.

I'd venture to say Thanksgiving weekend is probably the worst time of year traveling through that area than even Christmas because it's just eveyone heading down there for the deals.

Last edited:
Pretty full house right now on Sunday afternoon, 14 of 16 full. Only 1 Model 3 which was a surprise. Nice day for a drive in your Tesla. I hardly ever see the Titanium Silver in the wild but had 2 charging today, 1 MS and 1MX. Last time here got to see one of the green MSs. Love seeing what turns up at the chargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: McManX and miimura
Not surprised. We've found the newer ones by the mall side to be faster and the ones down past the enclosure to the right of it to be better than the original ones to the left of the enclosure. Had more problems over time with the originals and even with no one paired. Nothing like pulling in and having to leave for another spot especially when the site is busy.

Ah Fresh Choice. We generally don't eat near the SC there and prefer to drive elsewhere when we are in the area and hungry. Too bad really as it would be convenient otherwise and save time.