Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hickory, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You really only want to add 3rd-row seating to a Model S that has the reinforced back bumper. That isn't anywhere near 99%, but they are out there.
Thanks to this great forum it was brought to my attention that the reinforcement can be added to any S (except a dozen 2012 VINs) in about an hour.
We are off topic! Still probably going with a Model 3. Still excited about a supercharger in Hickory for topping of for trips to Asheville!

Reactions: Drucifer
The 3rd row seat stuff is OT here, but I've been subtly and not-so-subtly trying to get people to reconsider the rear-facing seats in the S for years now...

Jason Hughes on Twitter

I probably should stir up more trouble with a full PSA at some point... including pics of a car with the rear-facing jump seats fully crushed in a rear-end collision (fortunately unoccupied at the time). Probably worth it if can get even one kid out of those stupid *** rear seats.

Edit: No, the "reinforcement" does jack sh** to protect anyone in those rear seats.

The 3rd row seat stuff is OT here, but I've been subtly and not-so-subtly trying to get people to reconsider the rear-facing seats in the S for years now...

Jason Hughes on Twitter

I probably should stir up more trouble with a full PSA at some point... including pics of a car with the rear-facing jump seats fully crushed in a rear-end collision (fortunately unoccupied at the time). Probably worth it if can get even one kid out of those stupid *** rear seats.

Edit: No, the "reinforcement" does jack sh** to protect anyone in those rear seats.
So you are saying that a rear end collision in addition to heat in the un-ventilated area will kill them? Got it. Now two reasons not to use the RFS....

I would argue the RFS is safer than any seat in any of the 7 cars I owned 1981-1991.

It certainly isn't as safe as the regular seats in Model S, however.

Safest place in the Model S is the 2nd row, for sure. After handling something like 100 vehicles to-date, I've never seen the 2nd row area damaged to the point where I suspect there would be any serious injury to occupants there. The 3rd row area, however, I've seen anywhere from completely crushed to ripped entirely from the car.

Meanwhile... Back at the supercharger construction site. Anything happening? Planning to head that way sometime ion relatively near future.

I should be in that area later today. Will check it out.

• Informative
Reactions: Zarwin
March 13th. Some progress.
88B939D0-B086-4F20-899B-8B498F594B34.jpeg
C89AA02A-3666-444E-B2C7-691F89498949.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: pgiralt and Zarwin