Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Troutman, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tdreamer

Plaid Supercharger
Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
It appears Tesla is proposing to build a 12 stall supercharger at the Exxon station in Troutman, NC with an address of 121 Julian Pl, Troutman, NC 28166. This is at exit 42 off of I-77. The Troutman Planning Board is in support of a updating zoning to allow this to happen. It's not clear what other action needs to be done, if any, to clear the way for Tesla to add this to the sites to be scheduled for construction.

Reactions: nogajim
Interesting that it's only 7 miles north of the Brawley School Rd exit and the Lowes Foods of Mooresville location. I will admit this would be closer on/off to I-77. Seems like the 40/77 interchange in Statesville would make more sense for now.

Reactions: djinn1
It appears Tesla is proposing to build a 12 stall supercharger at the Exxon station in Troutman, NC with an address of 121 Julian Pl, Troutman, NC 28166. This is at exit 42 off of I-77. The Troutman Planning Board is in support of a updating zoning to allow this to happen. It's not clear what other action needs to be done, if any, to clear the way for Tesla to add this to the sites to be scheduled for construction.

Interesting that the address is an Exxon on the west side of the interchange, even though there is a Sheetz just as close on the east side.

I know this area well, because there is a private zoo nearby, Zootastic. In addition to yearly visits when my kids were younger, and now occasional trips with my nieces, my daughter did week-long day camps at that zoo two summers in a row.

It is definitely more convenient than Mooresville, if you're just passing through.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Troutman, NC

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Exxon
Along Primary Interstates: I-77
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-21
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-77

To: Mt Airy - Graceland Ln, NC - 59.1 miles
Diversion: 0.8 miles
To: Wytheville, VA (v2) - 105.1 miles

US-21

To: Wytheville, VA (v2) - 117 miles
Diversion: 0 miles
To: End (I-81/US-52 Wytheville, VA) - 116.2 miles

Adds density on I-77, but is more directly on I-77 and US-21 than nearby Mooresville, NC.
This should help relieve Mooresville, NC which can be left more directly to serve people visiting the Lake Norman area.

Reactions: Kewmpie1
Anybody able to swing by here? Supposedly under construction per The Weekly Supercharger: Superchargers in the Southeast (Week 3) - TeslaNorth.com

The site is indeed under construction.

12 stalls, arranged in a semicircle, with the 4th one from your right as you look at it being a pull-in spot.

The 4 stalls on the left still have wiring sticking out, but there are 3 cabinets in place. Looks like a v3 site to me. There is a concrete pad where the transformer will be.

IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1273.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

I went to the Drive Electric event in Troutman today, and stopped by this site on the way home.

It looks very close to completion. All stalls uncovered. Transformer in place, with electric meter mounted but not powered. The stalls are not numbered yet, and there are no Tesla parking signs. I went in the convenience store, and the person behind the counter said it’s just waiting for power.

The third stall from the right, as you pull in, is the pull-in stall. Even though the spaces to the left of it look like they would block each other, I think that is an optical illusion. They are normal width at the open end, and wider at their backs next to the curb.

IMG_1290.jpeg

IMG_1291.jpeg

IMG_1292.jpeg

IMG_1293.jpeg

I went to the Drive Electric event in Troutman today, and stopped by this site on the way home.

It looks very close to completion. All stalls uncovered. Transformer in place, with electric meter mounted but not powered. The stalls are not numbered yet, and there are no Tesla parking signs. I went in the convenience store, and the person behind the counter said it’s just waiting for power.

The third stall from the right, as you pull in, is the pull-in stall. Even though the spaces to the left of it look like they would block each other, I think that is an optical illusion. They are normal width at the open end, and wider at their backs next to the curb.

View attachment 976565

Looks like you were standing closest to the van accessible space when you took this shot.

It was nice meeting you at Saturday's NDEW event. I'm actually kinda glad it wasn't open. Having driven all that way to Troutman I'd have felt bad missing out on being able to charge here. When I left Saturday I was focused on visiting a few of the Supercharger locations in the Piedmont that I hadn't been to yet. Mooresville, Salisbury, Lexington, and Thomasville. I may have to pop down I-77 when I head back from Sunday's NDEW event and check this one out.

I'm hoping work will begin soon on the Wilson, NC superchargers near I-95 exit 121. Drove by there Sunday and not even an inkling of initial site prep work. Those will be at a Circle K.

Any updates?

I don't have a reason to go that way right now, but you can check in the Tesla phone app by zooming to that area. When a new site goes live, it usually shows up in the phone app first, then the car a few hours to a day later, and eventually the website's Find Us map.

I've been checking Troutman most days in the phone app, and still nothing yet.