Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Inyokern, CA - Locust Ave. (LIVE 6 Sep 2021, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been, but there has been no progress since 2-3 weeks ago. As of this weekend it is still waiting for the mega pack - or whatever is missing in that corner.
The Rivian chargers have finished up the the concrete bases for the pedestals but nothing more. I was waiting for something interesting to take more photos of for the Rivian install.
Here are some photos I took on Friday (the previous post was from Monday) on the drive up when I was charging at the old V2.

The pedestals that have a lit up Tesla logo are working, the ones that are dark have the charging cables tied up and are not active.

20210903_192458.jpg
20210903_192534.jpg
20210903_192431.jpg
20210903_192428.jpg

That's odd, I checked Sunday and it was still missing the megapack, so either it didn't need it or they installed it yesterday morning?
Megapacks are not required to be installed to get a site up and running. Once installed, a Megapack can provide various grid support functions. Note that each V3 cabinet can only pull about 350 kVA from the grid (roughly 350 kW depending on power factor) - so with a site like this one with 3 cabinets that limits the entire site to about 1000 kVA.

V3 cabinets share a HVDC bus (high voltage DC bus) that runs around 1000 VDC. A Megapack can also share this HVDC bus.

Each V3 cabinet can supply about 1000 kW peak. To do this, it will pull from the shared DC bus - this means that it can pull from other cabinets, or from a Megapack if installed as necessary or desired.

Hurray for a pull thru stall that's properly marked on the pavement with arrows! Also still awaiting a megapack. 8 of 12 stalls currently energized. Pic of the Rivian DCFC cabinets attached.

Attachments

• 20210908_122250.jpg
    20210908_122250.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210908_122316.jpg
    20210908_122316.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210908_122350.jpg
    20210908_122350.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20210908_122433.jpg
    20210908_122433.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210908_122440.jpg
    20210908_122440.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 98
Not sure too many know the V3 is open yet, I've checked a couple times and haven't seen anyone charging, nor anything added on Plugshare. I added a photo to Plugshare -> it needed something. Feel free to add one with an actual Tesla.

The Rivian site is still waiting for the chargers. They added pavement in the last few weeks but not much else that I can see.
I also added a photo to Plugshare for the Rivian site. Plugshare needs to add Rivian as a network.

Inyokern_V3.jpg
Rivian_IYK.jpg

The only thing that has changed on the Rivian is poles were added awhile back.

I'll post a photo.

Some dumb questions - when I stopped to take a photo I noticed two tesla's charging on the old v2 station. Why? Is it cheaper? You can't possibly not see the v3. I'm still hoping tesla converts the old v2 stations CCS and uses those to fulfill Elon's promise to open up the network.

Separate dumb question. Has anyone else seen YouTube ads showing a tesla driving out of a dragon capsule on Mars? Who is paying for those ads?

Some dumb questions - when I stopped to take a photo I noticed two tesla's charging on the old v2 station. Why? Is it cheaper? You can't possibly not see the v3. I'm still hoping tesla converts the old v2 stations CCS and uses those to fulfill Elon's promise to open up the network.
Simple: they are people who just don't know better. They navigate to the area, see a stall, and pull in. Same thing with paired stalls. They just don't know.

Simple: they are people who just don't know better. They navigate to the area, see a stall, and pull in. Same thing with paired stalls. They just don't know.
It could be they are not in a rush. Maybe they wanted to stay and not worry about moving their car in mid-meal while eating Classic Burger.

I find some Superchargers are way too fast so I max at 100% so I can spend an hour and half eating. I do this at Superchargers with restaurants nearby. I do this at Vegas. I use their urban charger over v3 so I can spend more time shopping.

However, nothing to do at Inyokern so I charge and go asap. This one was way too fast. I was done after using the restroom and had enough range to go to Bishop.

Thanks

I guess that makes sense but they must be able to see the v3s. I don't know what the charging time difference is on older vehicles so maybe it's just not worth moving over.

I didn't get a photo but I passed by Mojave and it looked like the temporary stalls were now almost ready. They had graded around them. Maybe they are going to pave next or gravel? I know my coworkers say Mojave is one of the worst. Luckily a full v3 is coming.

What would be nice is some chargers in the lake Isabella/ Kernville area. Tesla or other. There is a lvl 2 there but that's not enough.

And I'm not sure if it matters for tesla folks but we are suppose to be getting our first DC fast chargers in Ridgecrest. I was told at a credit union via a grant. I personally think they should put some at the museums in town. Or some free Lvl 2s.

Reactions: JeffnReno