Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Inyokern, CA - Locust Ave. (LIVE 6 Sep 2021, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I look at it again and the diagram, I concur, I think #8 at the end is pull through parking. Apologies, it was hard to tell with all those cars parked at the end. I still think the extra construction east of the Tesla area is the new Rivian chargers. Probably those workers were the folks parked in front of the #8 stall.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Checked again this morning and the Tesla site looks the same, but the east side construction is moving quickly. I still think this is Rivian. The Rivian install appears to have about 10 pedestals in a line and then one out in the middle. This could be their version of pull through?

20210821_070602.jpg
20210821_070546.jpg
20210821_070652.jpg
20210821_070745.jpg

The Rivian install is interesting. I wonder if they have other locations along the 395, given that no one can make it up the hill to Mammoth without an additional charge somewhere. It took Tesla 8 years to get Bishop launched
They announced Inyokern, Olancha, Bishop, Lee Vining and Bridgeport as locations on 395. Not sure if this station is truly theirs but it does seem reasonable considering.

Yes, please do. I wish I had a Rivian reservation, and a current Tesla, but all I have at the moment is a cheap Leaf and a pre-order for a CyberTruck. But I'm happy to help and I'll check the site each week and post updates.

Speaking of which, folks here know far more about Tesla than I do, what happens to the old V1 or V2 stations? I've heard sometimes they stay, sometimes they do not. What is the plan for the old 4 stall install at Inyokern? Has anyone ever heard of plans for tesla to sell of the old stations? I would think at least some of the install could be re-used (transformer, conduit, cabling), with maybe the stalls changed out, for a vendor like Chargepoint or EA. The sad thing is, an old Tesla V2 (150 kW each but shared cabinet?) would be better than almost all other branded installs, except maybe EA (reliability aside). Of course, if Tesla really is going to open up their network to everyone, maybe they open up the V2s where they have V3s? Then no need to sell it. I just would rather see it sold and re-used than decommissioned, but I have no idea if that could even work.

Thanks!

Reactions: RubberToe
Yes, please do. I wish I had a Rivian reservation, and a current Tesla, but all I have at the moment is a cheap Leaf and a pre-order for a CyberTruck. But I'm happy to help and I'll check the site each week and post updates.

Speaking of which, folks here know far more about Tesla than I do, what happens to the old V1 or V2 stations? I've heard sometimes they stay, sometimes they do not. What is the plan for the old 4 stall install at Inyokern? Has anyone ever heard of plans for tesla to sell of the old stations? I would think at least some of the install could be re-used (transformer, conduit, cabling), with maybe the stalls changed out, for a vendor like Chargepoint or EA. The sad thing is, an old Tesla V2 (150 kW each but shared cabinet?) would be better than almost all other branded installs, except maybe EA (reliability aside). Of course, if Tesla really is going to open up their network to everyone, maybe they open up the V2s where they have V3s? Then no need to sell it. I just would rather see it sold and re-used than decommissioned, but I have no idea if that could even work.

Thanks!
No one knows. In Bishop, they removed the old V2's once the V3's were up and running.

• Informative
No one knows. In Bishop, they removed the old V2's once the V3's were up and running.
They had V2s in Bishop? I know they did that in Lone Pine.

It seems like heavily used areas like Fresno, Concord, and others where they added V3 near existing locations they just left the V2s. I’m sure there’s a multi year contract that needs to be fulfilled with existing V2 sites. Also busier locations I’m sure it’s better to have V2s as overflow than not having them there at all.

I think (but don't know) that the transformers belong to the utility.

In Joplin MO, Tesla opened up a new location with V3 a few miles from the original V2 location and shut off the original location. As far as we know, the stalls are still standing. We do not know if Tesla will flip the switch temporarily during periods of heavy travel or not. Or if Tesla will remove their hardware when convenient.

I think it is too early in the Supercharger model to know if Tesla will decommission V2 locations that are close to newer V3 locations, or if they will retrofit them to V3 once Tesla feels they are ahead of the curve in a few years when the Supercharger map is near complete.

There may be leases that need fulfilling too. Just too many unknown variables!

There are still many older vehicles on the road that cannot utilize the faster V3 speeds.

They had V2s in Bishop? I know they did that in Lone Pine.

It seems like heavily used areas like Fresno, Concord, and others where they added V3 near existing locations they just left the V2s. I’m sure there’s a multi year contract that needs to be fulfilled with existing V2 sites. Also busier locations I’m sure it’s better to have V2s as overflow than not having them there at all.
Oops. I meant Lone Pine. I am a basket case today. Lone Pine had 4 V2's, then had 2 urban temps added, and all removed when the V3's were added.

As stated above odds are the 4 V2's will be removed.

This is so silly to have Rivian installing chargers at the exact same location. Why can't RJ pick up the phone, call Elon, and ask about using Rivian on Tesla's network.

Just my opinion but I believe Tesla will open up their network to other EV's and you'll see more Rivians charging at the Tesla chargers than at the Rivian chargers.

Time to standardize like in Europe.

I have no idea what Tesla does with their old equipment. I don't see any reason why they would re-install them elsewhere, so this stuff is likely trashed or recycled. I don't recall any V2 sites going up recently.
For the components that is made up of modular assemblies, they could be used for repairs of other stations still using the older equipment. At least a few of the parts may be shared with V3 chargers as well.

Has anyone checked this site recently I believe we are close to completion or it might already be energized.
I have been, but there has been no progress since 2-3 weeks ago. As of this weekend it is still waiting for the mega pack - or whatever is missing in that corner.
The Rivian chargers have finished up the the concrete bases for the pedestals but nothing more. I was waiting for something interesting to take more photos of for the Rivian install.