Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Michelson Dr. (Park Place, LIVE 19 Oct 2019, 12 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is another 24-stall supercharger a mile and a half away, so...
In an absolute pinch, okay sure I guess. But it's not like the money is going to Tesla, it's just paying a premium to some parking lot for the benefit. In normal usage, one of the reasons people buy an electric vehicle is to save money not buying gas. Spending an additional $6/hour (overall, not just charging time) for the perk of not waiting in a line is clearly not something most are willing to do (otherwise we wouldn't see all stalls available at the paid-parking location and none available at the free-parking location, although I guess you could make the argument it's like a first class vs coach type of decision).

In an absolute pinch, okay sure I guess. But it's not like the money is going to Tesla, it's just paying a premium to some parking lot for the benefit. In normal usage, one of the reasons people buy an electric vehicle is to save money not buying gas. Spending an additional $6/hour (overall, not just charging time) for the perk of not waiting in a line is clearly not something most are willing to do (otherwise we wouldn't see all stalls available at the paid-parking location and none available at the free-parking location, although I guess you could make the argument it's like a first class vs coach type of decision).
So there are 3 options, all of which are totally reasonable:
-supercharge for FREE at off-hours
-pay $6/hr to supercharge whenever you want
-wait in line to supercharge for FREE during peak hours

I mean all of us could complain that Tesla hasn't installed a FREE supercharger in our garage, but that doesn't mean it's a valid complaint.

• Love
Reactions: ord3r
Both superchargers are urban so that is irrelevant here. Additionally there is yet another supercharger 6 miles away. And it is v3.
The relevance of the Main Street location being Urban is that it will take longer to charge and the impact of the parking charges being higher due to longer charge times.
And to think that some people say California Tesla owners are entitled... :D
Just because we're having a simple conversation about the facts does not make anyone "entitled." I'm sure that California has the highest concentration of Tesla ownership and this area (Irvine and surrounding) is particularly dense.

All that your claim of entitlement does is show your pettiness.

The relevance of the Main Street location being Urban is that it will take longer to charge and the impact of the parking charges being higher due to longer charge times.

Just because we're having a simple conversation about the facts does not make anyone "entitled." I'm sure that California has the highest concentration of Tesla ownership and this area (Irvine and surrounding) is particularly dense.

All that your claim of entitlement does is show your pettiness.
This whole conversation is petty. That is my point. It's a non-issue.

So there are 3 options, all of which are totally reasonable:
-supercharge for FREE at off-hours
-pay $6/hr to supercharge whenever you want
-wait in line to supercharge for FREE during peak hours

I mean all of us could complain that Tesla hasn't installed a FREE supercharger in our garage, but that doesn't mean it's a valid complaint.
I don't think any of these Superchargers are free (unless you have FUSC, which I do so I actually don't know the rates of the Superchargers), so we're talking about the cost to park in addition to the cost to charge (and that cost to park doesn't go to Tesla, so it's not going to expanding the Supercharger network). In Southern California, most places offer free parking, and when people are used to free they react a certain way when it's not free. I don't know of any gas stations that require you to pay to get onto the premises.

I'm not sure what you mean about the complaining portion, but the fact remains Superchargers are impacted in this area due to the density of Tesla owners (not everyone has a personal garage they can charge overnight or work charging as an option), so we're just pointing out that the location discussed seems like it was a waste of resources given it's low usage (yet high demand in the area).

Reactions: totoro722
I think it is a concern that may spread. If this commodity (charging) becomes lucrative for profit, it will expand.

The difference I see is we are a customer basically desperate when the charge gets low and source of recharge is limited. Not knowing that an 'extra' payment may be applied shouldn't be a surprise. It's possible that some locality may decide to tax electric vehicle charging at whatever rate the market will bear.
If a property owner decides to use EV charging as a source of income way beyond the cost of providing the facility, it needs to be discussed.

I'm plenty relaxed. Just gonna take issue when someone comes in and takes a dump unnecessarily.

I don't think the dude from Seattle understands how many Tesla's are in California. I tried charging at this location twice this weekend, line of 4-5 cars both times. Same as one in Jeffrey. Had to use someone's home HPWC. His block in Irvine, 20 houses... at least 15 of them have 1 Tesla. Neighborhood up in Dublin, CA literally Tesla in every driveway. Irvine needs 2-3 superchargers to keep up with demand... and that's before Cybertruck.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz