Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jersey City, NJ - Mall Drive West

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow up: "We are waiting on PSE&G and they are causing the hold up, however we hope to have them up and running very soon and will let you know when they are."

If I only had the phone number of the person in charge of this project at PSEG, I promise, I would call him/her (very politely) but every single day including Saturday and Sunday (voice messages)...Let's see who get tired first???

If I only had the phone number of the person in charge of this project at PSEG, I promise, I would call him/her (very politely) but every single day including Saturday and Sunday (voice messages)...Let's see who get tired first???

So, I called PSE&G customer service for Jersey City branch, he said I'd have to call Construction and Marketing Department and asked why I was dealing with this when the head of newport should be. I said some people don't like to work so I have to do the work then he gave me their number: 18007220256. Will call tomorrow as they only work 7:00-3:00 and see if they bounce me somewhere else.

Reactions: Lithivm
So, I called PSE&G customer service for Jersey City branch, he said I'd have to call Construction and Marketing Department and asked why I was dealing with this when the head of newport should be. I said some people don't like to work so I have to do the work then he gave me their number: 18007220256. Will call tomorrow as they only work 7:00-3:00 and see if they bounce me somewhere else.
So I called. No info available unless you are the applicant, but he told me something I did not know. Are you ready? I quote: "2 months is nothing it could take 4 months or more". I got to love them....

Duh - This is frustrating - this was suppose to be up in December

Should we line up folks to call everyday - dunno if it will help :(

It may actually. I will probably call today myself just to annoy them. I think with enough annoyance they'd get sick of it and move it along the pipeline. Either that, or it backfires and they end up making some excuse as to how it won't be up until late 2018 :eek:

It may actually. I will probably call today myself just to annoy them. I think with enough annoyance they'd get sick of it and move it along the pipeline. Either that, or it backfires and they end up making some excuse as to how it won't be up until late 2018 :eek:

Share how it goes - I don't mind being one to call tomorrow and maybe we get some more volunteers - not much to loose I feel considering how this is being dragged

Even if PSE&G is competing against them, how would it make sense here? The Tesla owners will all go charge at the superchargers, it's not like they will go to other chargers in the same location. PSE&G will still have their customers that are non-Tesla EV owners. What's the real hold-up? Who can we contact to find out real information?

Just catching up with this thread after being away a few days. A (potential/possible) reason why PSE&G would drag their feet in "lighting up" new Tesla locations is simple: if PSE&G is set on building out their own competing product (even if it is free at the moment) they then have an incentive to not "help" their competitor get their network built out. With many products and services, often time the first one tried/adopted by people gets an advantage as people become familiar and then inertia takes over, keeping people from trying or switching to others, even if the one they use is inferior. There are many such examples in tech history. For example, VHS vs Betamax.

In any case, PSE&G and Tesla being competitors for EV charging is unfortunate, as PSE&G controls a lot of the pieces that would be necessary for Tesla to build on the local market.

Reactions: electra2016
I should also add that this is a problem all over the US. That is, local utilities dragging their feet as people start to migrate to other solutions. My friend who lives in FL (in the Orlando area) has been waiting over two months for the local power company to come around to approve his new solar roof. The Tesla people have been SUPER helpful, but there is nothing they can do to compel the local utility to send an inspector to sign off and approve the work. Meanwhile, he keeps paying them a ton of money every month to power his house, instead of being able to go off grid with his new solar roof and Powerwall.

More updates: had a very friendly chat with PSE&G rep. Obviously, she couldn't release any info as it's a corporate account and I didn't have the case number or whatever, but, here's what I learned from her (note, these are opinions of hers, not hard facts):

1. PSE&G would have no motivation to withhold power as they'd be profiting off 20 stalls using their electricity and Tesla or Tesla owners paying for that usage.
2. Even though she can't disclose information, she says she wouldn't know what the hold up is, but if she has no answers and Newport apparently has no answers, then some higher up may have ulterior motives for stalling.
3. Advised me to contact the regional office of public affairs for PSE&G to push for an answer, OR, contact the mayor's office. She said the mayor's office employs a liaison for PSE&G that may know what's going on. Surely, the mayor wouldn't like knowing that a bunch of superchargers have been sitting there since December not being used. He'd certainly appreciate the boost to the economy of incoming Tesla owners into Newport and into Jersey City. It would also help the city's image as he's trying hard to improve JC.
4. She thinks it's ridiculous that Newport mall charges parking fees while most other great malls don't. She remembers the good old days when it was free back in the 90s.

Reactions: trmmcd
Sorry, but some of those points are simply opinions held in a vacuum without taking into consideration the realities on the ground:
- Newport can't provide free parking because it would otherwise get filled up with commuters driving there to catch the PATH into the city. That is precisely the reason why paring is super cheap for the first four hours, then it jumps tremendously. Four hours is enough to get to the mall, watch a movie, get a bite, and maybe even do a little bit of shopping. If you parking over four hours, you likely went elsewhere.
- I wouldn't put too much faith on the mayor, or the city council, getting too invested on the fate of EV charging in JC. DTJC had exclusive EV parking on 1st Street (with 20 spots available - 10 dual chargers, plus one DC Fast Charging box) and the city council caved in completely when the local Neighborhood Association complained about EV exclusive spots "stealing" parking space from residents. The NA demanded that parking be given back to the community, and the council agreed. EV exclusive spots are now just 10, and six are taken up by Maven cars. So, only four spots are set up for exclusive EV use.

Sorry, but some of those points are simply opinions held in a vacuum without taking into consideration the realities on the ground:
- Newport can't provide free parking because it would otherwise get filled up with commuters driving there to catch the PATH into the city. That is precisely the reason why paring is super cheap for the first four hours, then it jumps tremendously. Four hours is enough to get to the mall, watch a movie, get a bite, and maybe even do a little bit of shopping. If you parking over four hours, you likely went elsewhere.
- I wouldn't put too much faith on the mayor, or the city council, getting too invested on the fate of EV charging in JC. DTJC had exclusive EV parking on 1st Street (with 20 spots available - 10 dual chargers, plus one DC Fast Charging box) and the city council caved in completely when the local Neighborhood Association complained about EV exclusive spots "stealing" parking space from residents. The NA demanded that parking be given back to the community, and the council agreed. EV exclusive spots are now just 10, and six are taken up by Maven cars. So, only four spots are set up for exclusive EV use.
First 2 hours is $2.5 -$1 discount if you are a resident of JC. I could not ask for more really... PS Thank you guys to call PSEG. I think we can really speed up the process if we put some pressure to all the parts involved in this project... Make some noise fellows..lol

If you read the second line in my post, you would see it specifically states, "note, these are opinions of hers." Also, no one was complaining about wanting free parking. I put in the last point in my post for a bit of humor, akin to "Oh yeah, and she has 3 dogs, 4 cats and a 72 yr old boyfriend." Anything productive to add? Will you be calling PSE&G yourself? How can you help get these chargers working? Any ideas?