Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jersey City, NJ - Mall Drive West

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was there today testing my EV scooter range.... Still closed

Attachments

• 20180129_111526-01.jpeg
    20180129_111526-01.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 124
No one should be at all surprised this is behind schedule and still pending. After all, this is Jersey City, and NJ. In all my years living here in JC, I have *never* seen any project that involves government approval completed on time. In between the infamous Buildings Department in JC, and the usual NJ shenanigans, this project was never going to be completed on time. Until the right wheels are greased, this will continue to sit there ready for use, but lacking approvals and sign offs. If this is a surprise to anyone here, you haven't been around long enough.

Reactions: CSFTN
No one should be at all surprised this is behind schedule and still pending. After all, this is Jersey City, and NJ. In all my years living here in JC, I have *never* seen any project that involves government approval completed on time. In between the infamous Buildings Department in JC, and the usual NJ shenanigans, this project was never going to be completed on time. Until the right wheels are greased, this will continue to sit there ready for use, but lacking approvals and sign offs. If this is a surprise to anyone here, you haven't been around long enough.

I honestly believe it is PSEG slowing down the project. They are placing their own version of the superchargers (so funny they are placing them in the same locations than Tesla - see 95N and S), but they are obsolete right out of the box, not to mentioned ugly, really ugly. I spoke with people using them and they were not happy even if the charge was free, yes free)...They must be working against Tesla just to cover their butts...IMHO

I honestly believe it is PSEG slowing down the project. They are placing their own version of the superchargers (so funny they are placing them in the same locations than Tesla - see 95N and S), but they are obsolete right out of the box, not to mentioned ugly, really ugly. I spoke with people using them and they were not happy even if the charge was free, yes free)...They must be working against Tesla just to cover their butts...IMHO

I have no doubt you are right (that this is on PSE&G) but my point remains: this should not be at all a surprise. As NJ's largest utility company, it embodies everything that is wrong with our state's politics and ingrained corruption problem. Of course they are dragging their feet, because why engage in a fair fight with Tesla for EV charging customers when you can control the playing field to your advantage?

I have no doubt you are right (that this is on PSE&G) but my point remains: this should not be at all a surprise. As NJ's largest utility company, it embodies everything that is wrong with our state's politics and ingrained corruption problem. Of course they are dragging their feet, because why engage in a fair fight with Tesla for EV charging customers when you can control the playing field to your advantage?

I wonder if I could obtain the contact info of the person in charge of this project at PSEG. I know several Tesla owners available to call and put pressure on them. It is a shame what they are doing to Tesla and as a result to the final consumers.

Even if PSE&G is competing against them, how would it make sense here? The Tesla owners will all go charge at the superchargers, it's not like they will go to other chargers in the same location. PSE&G will still have their customers that are non-Tesla EV owners. What's the real hold-up? Who can we contact to find out real information?

Even if PSE&G is competing against them, how would it make sense here? The Tesla owners will all go charge at the superchargers, it's not like they will go to other chargers in the same location. PSE&G will still have their customers that are non-Tesla EV owners. What's the real hold-up? Who can we contact to find out real information?

More Tesla chargers = more Tesla sales...More PSEG chargers = higher chance for other companies (like GM) to sale their EV. How many people in Jersey City, Newark, Manhattan, Union City, etc, did not buy a Tesla just because they did have a Supercharger near by? How many will postpone and maybe buy something else while waiting for PSEG to turn the power on???

PSEG Superchargers?
Are you referring to the EVGO CHAdeMO / CCS at Molly Pitcher and Joyce Kilmer?

As posted in this thread:
Supercharger - New Jersey Turnpike Rest Areas - Molly Pitcher & Joyce Kilmer

“As part of the installation of its charging stations, Tesla would also install all necessary cabling and equipment to allow electric service to be brought to the Turnpike service areas not only to enable the Tesla charging stations but also to provide electric service to an area abutting the Tesla locations that would be suitable for the installation of alternative electric vehicle charging station.”

PSEG Superchargers?
Are you referring to the EVGO CHAdeMO / CCS at Molly Pitcher and Joyce Kilmer?

As posted in this thread:
Supercharger - New Jersey Turnpike Rest Areas - Molly Pitcher & Joyce Kilmer

“As part of the installation of its charging stations, Tesla would also install all necessary cabling and equipment to allow electric service to be brought to the Turnpike service areas not only to enable the Tesla charging stations but also to provide electric service to an area abutting the Tesla locations that would be suitable for the installation of alternative electric vehicle charging station.”

Yes. I am talking about those dinosaurs. Are you telling me that Tesla had to provide the cabling and the equipment for EVGO to get approval? If this is true, it is even worse than anticipated...Tesla is really alone against the entire system...No wonder the charging is free...PS Spoke with 3 people using them...They were crying while charging their battery when I told them I was charging at 300 miles per minute..They could not believe it.

I suspect you mean 300 miles per hour.

I believe those EVGO stations are rated at 50 kW.
The Tesla urban chargers going in Jersey City are rated at only 72 kW.
Not a huge difference.

If there is ever a line of Teslas waiting at Joyce Kilmer I can use my CHAdeMO adaptor and use the EVGO charger. 50 kW is better than waiting on line.

I suspect you mean 300 miles per hour.

I believe those EVGO stations are rated at 50 kW.
The Tesla urban chargers going in Jersey City are rated at only 72 kW.
Not a huge difference.

If there is ever a line of Teslas waiting at Joyce Kilmer I can use my CHAdeMO adaptor and use the EVGO charger. 50 kW is better than waiting on line.
LOL per hour of course...sorry. I never had to wait but people I spoke with they were charging about 60 miles per hour using EVGO. In over 1 year I did not use anything else but superchargers and of course charging in my house, but I agree with you the more the better..I just wish the JC supercharger will open soon. It is a major deal especially when traveling long distance coming back or leaving home..

The New York/New Jersey area is tough to visit from afar. I always have to top off before entering and again just after leaving. The whole time I am driving around New Jersey I am experiencing range anxiety. My travels don’t take me by Paramus or Edison but I usually end at one of them on an out of the way visit just to get a charge. They aren’t really that far on paper, but traffic can be a huge time kill. The planned New Jersey super charging infrastructure looks really good, but until locations like JC turn up it is still a disaster.

The New York/New Jersey area is tough to visit from afar. I always have to top off before entering and again just after leaving. The whole time I am driving around New Jersey I am experiencing range anxiety. My travels don’t take me by Paramus or Edison but I usually end at one of them on an out of the way visit just to get a charge. They aren’t really that far on paper, but traffic can be a huge time kill. The planned New Jersey super charging infrastructure looks really good, but until locations like JC turn up it is still a disaster.
JC will fix a lot of your issues trust me. I often travel to Canada and I have to stop to Tannerville to fill up every single time. PS I live 5 minutes away from the mall..

I asked the director of marketing and business development for newport what the hold up is and when can we expect this to be operational. Her quoted response was, "I realize that we thought Tesla super chargers would be up and running in Dec. However that didn't happen and we apologize as there were circumstances outside of our control that prevented the launch. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know. Again, thank you for your patience."

Wouldn't really tell me what the hold up is, and when we can expect to see them operational :mad: