Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lexington, NE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this location pop up in my NAV which seems to be pretty new.

8 250 kW stalls w/magic dock

1001 Plum Creek Pkwy, Lexington, NE 68850 (Dollar Fresh Market)
20240530_063323.jpg
20240530_063645.jpg

I didn't see a pin on supercharge.info for this location either.

Per minute charging is making poorer, who can only afford a Bolt or RWD Model 3, people pay a lot more, and the rich people who can afford a Porsche pay a lot less!
Where a state only allows pricing per unit time, they vary the price based on power ranges. Bolt would always be burned by the width of the range, but others not so much.

Site isn't yet on the Tesla app for Magic Dock users.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke
There are probably other states that require this type of pricing scheme but I have only seen it in Nebraska.

There are, although it has gradually reduced as states have given exceptions that allow resale of electricity at chargers. For some reason I specifically remember Kentucky changing its law.

As of October 1, 2023, every US state except Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee, and Wisconsin has passed the legislation needed to redefine a utility and allow kWh pricing.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector
Lexington, NE

Host Type: Grocery Store
Host: Dollar Fresh Market
Along Primary Interstates: I-80
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-30, US-283
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-80

To: Kearney, NE - 38.5 miles
Diversion: 4.1 miles
To: Grand Island, NE (v2) - 78.1 miles

US-30

To: Kearney, NE - 37.2 miles
Diversion: 1.8 miles
To: Ames, IA - 364.8 miles

US-283

To: End (US-30 Lexington, NE) - 1 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
From: Start (US-87/US-190/US-377 Brady, TX) - 723.2 miles

Not quite a V3 Splitter!, as the gap from North Platte, NE to Kearney, NE is 97.4 miles.

Dollar Fresh Market is a Hy-Vee brand, so this is another site part of the Hy-Vee agreement.

Per minute charging is making poorer, who can only afford a Bolt or RWD Model 3, people pay a lot more, and the rich people who can afford a Porsche pay a lot less!
It is tiered. A bolt would pay $.23 per minute the whole session because it's max DC rate is 55kW. Last Bolt charge curve I saw it held max rate until almost 50% so if you unplug at that point you're doing well cost wise. A RWD 3 maxes at 170kW so would pay $.74 per minute at max, don't know how long it holds that rate.

Where you really get hosed at per minute sites is when you charge to full or nearly full.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke
Charging fees up to $1.20! In the 8 years of ownership I usually charge at home…luckily.

It goes with out saying that home charging is going to be cheaper than supercharging in nearly any circumstance. With that said, context matters here. Like @threeputts mentions the "up to $1.20" is on a tiered system. $1.20 for charging in and of itself tells me nothing. How many kW did you get for that $1.20?

As others have mentioned, Nebraska is (was? see below) one of the few remaining states that didn't allow "non-utilities" to charge for energy on a per kWh basis. Tesla's work around in these instances has been to bill by the minute in a tiered system. The key point of this is the tiered system is generally worked out in such a way to be as equivalent as possible to billing for actual energy used. In this particular case the $1.20 per minute for charging is only in the range of 180 to 250 kW. Also in this case, it is important to recognize that most cars aren't going to be in that $1.20/minute tier very long i.e. my 2022 M3 LR is probably out of that tier by ~30%. The next thing is to actually do the math.

If we average the 180 to 250 kW tier you end up with charging at 215 kW right in the middle. That 215 kWh charging rate would equate to 3.58 kW per minute going into the battery. at $1.20 per minute, that comes out to ~$0.33/ kW. That is in line with the $0.33 to 0.36/ kWh in Nebraska's neighboring states. It is also lower than the spot checks of superchargers in your home state of Arizona. If you break down the math per tier you'll find that for a "normal" charging session i.e. driving on the lower 2/3 of the battery or so you'll be basically equivalent to the per kWh billing or potentially slightly ahead depending on the car and how long you are charging.
There are, although it has gradually reduced as states have given exceptions that allow resale of electricity at chargers. For some reason I specifically remember Kentucky changing its law.

As of October 1, 2023, every US state except Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee, and Wisconsin has passed the legislation needed to redefine a utility and allow kWh pricing.

A link within your link brings up something that I wasn't quite aware of.

Looking at that column for "Utility definition" Tennessee is the last state left. Obviously your link states of October 1st 2023, but....

-Michigan's legislation to allow kWh pricing was enacted on 11/14/2023
-Wisconsin did the same thing on 3/20/2024 so basically less then 3 months ago.

Both Michigan and Wisconsin show kWh pricing in the Tesla app.

Where this gets interesting to me as a citizen of Nebraska is that link shows Nebraska passed it 4/25/2024. I hadn't heard anything about it and apparently Tesla hasn't either. This also roughly coincides with the firing of the supercharger team whose policy work was likely largely responsible for the change. Hopefully there is someone still at Tesla that realizes this happens, because they should be in the clear to stop billing by the minute here.

1717296670118.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GleanerC