Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lompoc, CA (permit applied 2021-09-21, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has applied for a permit to install a Supercharger in the Foods Co. parking lot on W. Central Avenue in Lompoc, CA. The permit was returned for corrections and has not been resubmitted but they have a Q3 2022 timeline so they have some time to resubmit corrections. They are planning on 20 V3 stalls and associated equipment. Source is an email to the planning department (couldn't find any easy online permit lookup for Lompoc). This will fill in the gap between Pismo Beach and Santa Barbara on Highway 1 without having to pop over to 101. Also would allow all the SpaceX employees driving Teslas to launches at Vandenberg to conveniently charge (guessing this has something to do with the 20 stalls).

Tesla has applied for a permit to install a Supercharger in the Foods Co. parking lot on W. Central Avenue in Lompoc, CA. The permit was returned for corrections and has not been resubmitted but they have a Q3 2022 timeline so they have some time to resubmit corrections. They are planning on 20 V3 stalls and associated equipment. Source is an email to the planning department (couldn't find any easy online permit lookup for Lompoc). This will fill in the gap between Pismo Beach and Santa Barbara on Highway 1 without having to pop over to 101. Also would allow all the SpaceX employees driving Teslas to launches at Vandenberg to conveniently charge (guessing this has something to do with the 20 stalls).
As a Lompoc native, I wholeheartedly approve of this. Sorta surprised they are starting the permit process this quickly. Probably would speed the approval process if they said it was also going to be a cannabis dispensary, too. Also will be nice to charge in town, rather than going to Buellton if I really need to charge before I go very far.

Not just the employees. Others head to Vandenburg for launches.

Reactions: 2TNE and PStewart
When SpaceX did their first booster landing at Vandenberg not long after I got my Model 3 in October of 2018, the line at the Buellton Supercharger after the launch/recovery was about 30 deep. I was lucky that I had enough left in the batteries to get home, otherwise it would've been a long wait.

Reactions: ldm58427
When SpaceX did their first booster landing at Vandenberg not long after I got my Model 3 in October of 2018, the line at the Buellton Supercharger after the launch/recovery was about 30 deep. I was lucky that I had enough left in the batteries to get home, otherwise it would've been a long wait.
You should be able to make the round trip with plenty to spare if you left SB with a full charge, right?

No sign of any construction at this point in the FoodsCo/Walmart parking lot area.

On a side note, someone claimed on a local Facebook group that they heard “EV chargers” were being installed at the old Von’s gas station (corner of H and College). Looks like they are in the process of excavating the old fuel tanks. I presume this is incorrect or trolling and there is (almost certainly) no relation to Tesla, even if chargers are happening there, but just mentioning it in case anyone has heard anything to corroborate it.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
The permitting process is arduous at best. Certainly in CA. There are so many bureaucracies, not to mention tenant approvals, notices and agreement. But the inspection processes and make work government agencies - City, County, State, FEMA, Ground and material sampling, certifying the existing concrete paving, traffic patterns impact, PGE and more. City of Lompoc will easily make $30K on fees before the first kilowatt flows. Big governments love to get bigger. Watch for the traffic cone shows up on Supercharger.info. I am sure with Tesla's experiences building out the SC network in CA, they want the charger up ASAP. But what's more, the business want those layover customers to spend money in the area. Tesla likely won't sigh a lease with the landowner until all the permitting process is ready and green tag. That's why the geo reference (34.662002, -120.463053) is right in the middle of the parking lot. Tesla likely has an "Agreement in Principle" top of contract with he land owner. I spent 35 years in commercial RE development/finance. I'm sure our Tesla Lompoc community will get us some solid info soon. Enjoy the day all.

The permitting process is arduous at best. Certainly in CA. There are so many bureaucracies, not to mention tenant approvals, notices and agreement. But the inspection processes and make work government agencies - City, County, State, FEMA, Ground and material sampling, certifying the existing concrete paving, traffic patterns impact, PGE and more. City of Lompoc will easily make $30K on fees before the first kilowatt flows. Big governments love to get bigger. Watch for the traffic cone shows up on Supercharger.info. I am sure with Tesla's experiences building out the SC network in CA, they want the charger up ASAP. But what's more, the business want those layover customers to spend money in the area. Tesla likely won't sigh a lease with the landowner until all the permitting process is ready and green tag. That's why the geo reference (34.662002, -120.463053) is right in the middle of the parking lot. Tesla likely has an "Agreement in Principle" top of contract with he land owner. I spent 35 years in commercial RE development/finance. I'm sure our Tesla Lompoc community will get us some solid info soon. Enjoy the day all.
Pretty sure the permit won’t be approved unless a lease is signed since Tesla is applying on behalf of the landowner. They can’t apply for a permit somewhere they don’t have any stake in. Tesla has to pay a lot of fees to submit a permit. Wouldn’t want to start the process only to have the landlord back out at last minute and Tesla is out all of the fees. Also pretty sure most of these leases are $0 or $1 per year, whatever the lowest amount they can get away with since Tesla is paying for everything and bringing in potential revenue for the landowner.

Based on past history, when they have a city/site in mind but no lease and are still negotiating, that gets a Map pin with a year. Once they have a lease agreement on a specific site in place, then they have a timeline and enter the quarter and year for the Map pin.

In this case, the map is in the center of the parking lot because that is the only data we have. Once the permit is approved and issued, then it becomes public and anyone can go down to the Lompoc Building Department and ask to see the permit. Then we will know exactly where it is going. Or we see them start digging.