Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Memphis, TN - North Germantown Parkway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to this permit, there will be 12 chargers located at 2751 WOLFCREEK PKWY. I’ve circled in red on the map below where the permit attachments indicate they will be installed. This appears to be almost right next to an EA station in the same lot.

1647094266842.png

Not where I would have liked to see it but it's better than the existing location.

Hopefully as the new factories start cranking out cars and making deliveries we'll see more owners in this area and the Supercharger builds will happen more often.

EDIT:

Furthermore ... this is actually good. Look at all the restaurant options. Arrive as low as possible and set the charge limit to 100% :D

Memphis - Wolfchase, TN

Host Type: Mall
Host: Market of Wolfcreek
Along Primary Interstates: I-40
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-64, US-70, US-79
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-40

To: Jackson, TN - 64.8 miles
Diversion: 1.7 miles
To: Dickson, TN - 157.3 miles

US-64

To: Kimball, TN - 281.8 miles
Diversion: 1.2 miles
To: Chattanooga, TN - 321.3 miles

US-70

To: Jackson, TN - 74.4 miles
Diversion: 5 miles
To: Nashville - Charlotte Pike, TN - 203.9 miles

US-79

To: End (US-68 Russellville, KY) - 221.1 miles
Diversion: 4 miles
To: Start (I-30 Dallas, TX) - 0 miles

(The inconsistent diversions are due to combining older distances with newer distances).
A newer,faster, larger Supercharger in the Memphis area.
Helps with I-40 and some other US Numbered Highways,

Sadly, it doesn't help with I-55 travel.

Memphis - Wolfchase, TN

Host Type: Mall
Host: Market of Wolfcreek
Along Primary Interstates: I-40
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-64, US-70, US-79
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-40

To: Jackson, TN - 64.8 miles
Diversion: 1.7 miles
To: Dickson, TN - 157.3 miles

US-64

To: Kimball, TN - 281.8 miles
Diversion: 1.2 miles
To: Chattanooga, TN - 321.3 miles

US-70

To: Jackson, TN - 74.4 miles
Diversion: 5 miles
To: Nashville - Charlotte Pike, TN - 203.9 miles

US-79

To: End (US-68 Russellville, KY) - 221.1 miles
Diversion: 4 miles
To: Start (I-30 Dallas, TX) - 0 miles

(The inconsistent diversions are due to combining older distances with newer distances).
A newer,faster, larger Supercharger in the Memphis area.
Helps with I-40 and some other US Numbered Highways,

Sadly, it doesn't help with I-55 travel.
That's next.

I have suggested The hotel at Graceland. Security, and plenty of parking. Many tourists will like to stop there. Crosstown Concourse, but they don;t want Proprietary connectors

Graceland seems more like a place they need 20 destination chargers. If you're going to Graceland you're going to be there all day, right? Currently there are 8, split into 4 chargers at two different locations.

I've always found it kind of odd they put Superchargers at hotels. Superchargers seem more like restaurant speed. For the money of a Supercharger they could put a destination charger at every single parking spot in a hotel.

I've just looked at my Supercharger history. I deleted the bottom ten because they were short charges on broken stalls. Averaged the remainder and got 36.7kwh average across 104 sessions. At 8kw that would be less than a 5 hour session. Long enough to tour Graceland and have lunch?

That said, I don't know the area well enough to identify a better candidate. An Applebee's or Chili's or something is always my reference. But in the 100+ I've been to, only a handful have been highway restaurants.

Reactions: Rutrow
As for I-55 ... In 2015 I answered this same question, and still feel the same. Not in Memphis. Barely across the river in West Memphis AR, where I-55 and I-40 converge, run together for 2 miles, then diverge and run almost parallell for another 2 miles. Much of this 4 miles is unbuildable flood zone, but there's a couple of spots which would work. None are nice, basically all are near or adjacent to truck stops.

An example Google Maps

Last edited:
... I've always found it kind of odd they put Superchargers at hotels. Superchargers seem more like restaurant speed. For the money of a Supercharger they could put a destination charger at every single parking spot in a hotel. ...
I agree about hotels. I'd add that convenience stores are even better, because often it's more time-efficient to work the bottom half of the battery, charger for 15 minutes, and head to the next charger. At a restaurant, I've actually gone to move my car off a charger while I waited for my food.

I can see the advantage of hotels. Even if you don't stay at the one where you charge, there's always someone on duty at the front desk, the restrooms are always open, and there's often an attached restaurant. However, of the four types of sites I've noticed--hotel, restaurant, shopping center, convenience store--I still think convenience stores are the best. If the store part is open 24 hours a day, they have all the advantages of hotels, plus they tend to be grouped with other travel-oriented businesses, like fast food and shopping.

I agree about hotels. I'd add that convenience stores are even better, because often it's more time-efficient to work the bottom half of the battery, charger for 15 minutes, and head to the next charger. At a restaurant, I've actually gone to move my car off a charger while I waited for my food.

I can see the advantage of hotels. Even if you don't stay at the one where you charge, there's always someone on duty at the front desk, the restrooms are always open, and there's often an attached restaurant. However, of the four types of sites I've noticed--hotel, restaurant, shopping center, convenience store--I still think convenience stores are the best. If the store part is open 24 hours a day, they have all the advantages of hotels, plus they tend to be grouped with other travel-oriented businesses, like fast food and shopping.

I've had the same experience. Shopping centers are great, when the chargers aren't too far away and the stores are open. When things are closed, they can be much less desirable, even for the relatively nice shopping centers.

Reactions: jozegovich
Graceland seems more like a place they need 20 destination chargers. If you're going to Graceland you're going to be there all day, right? Currently there are 8, split into 4 chargers at two different locations.

I've always found it kind of odd they put Superchargers at hotels. Superchargers seem more like restaurant speed. For the money of a Supercharger they could put a destination charger at every single parking spot in a hotel.

I've just looked at my Supercharger history. I deleted the bottom ten because they were short charges on broken stalls. Averaged the remainder and got 36.7kwh average across 104 sessions. At 8kw that would be less than a 5 hour session. Long enough to tour Graceland and have lunch?

That said, I don't know the area well enough to identify a better candidate. An Applebee's or Chili's or something is always my reference. But in the 100+ I've been to, only a handful have been highway restaurants.
There are restaurants in the area. The hotel provides a safe place to use the restroom, dine and make a visit. Having locations where they have limited hours makes it difficult for using the restroom and feeling secure when no one is there but you. For me Travel Centers/Rest Stops are the ones I like on long distance trips.

Reactions: RTPEV and LoudMusic
Dropped by today, there is definite progress being made! The location is adjacent to four Electrify America chargers (2 pedestals with 350kW CCS, and 2 with 150kW CCS and 50kW Chademo). The SuperCharger location has had trenching and conduit work done. There are several of the Tesla wrapped cabinets and other large palletized cabinets. The "Coming April 2021" sign is really dirty/faded, but it's still there 🤣. A flatbed gooseneck trailer with large rolls of cables and wires was there idling. I asked the driver if he knew an estimate on when it would be online, he didn't even know what the place was, his manifest just said "Memphis SuperCharger" and it was news to him that it was for Tesla.

Attachments

• IMG_3304.JPG
    IMG_3304.JPG
    694.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3305.JPG
    IMG_3305.JPG
    942.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3306.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    952.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3307.JPG
    IMG_3307.JPG
    932.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3308.JPG
    IMG_3308.JPG
    812.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3309.JPG
    IMG_3309.JPG
    980.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3311.JPG
    IMG_3311.JPG
    796.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3312.JPG
    IMG_3312.JPG
    792.9 KB · Views: 83
As for I-55 ... In 2015 I answered this same question, and still feel the same. Not in Memphis. Barely across the river in West Memphis AR, where I-55 and I-40 converge, run together for 2 miles, then diverge and run almost parallell for another 2 miles. Much of this 4 miles is unbuildable flood zone, but there's a couple of spots which would work. None are nice, basically all are near or adjacent to truck stops.

An example Google Maps
I agree that there's no good location in Memphis itself for an I-55 supercharger. The West Memphis, AR idea is interesting.

I've thought for a long time that the obvious solution here is a supercharger at the Goodman Road exit in Southaven, Mississippi, only two miles south of Memphis. There are lots of amenities at the Goodman Road exit -- fast food, fast casual, Starbucks, a Walmart, gas stations, etc. My sense is that it's also a considerably safer area than anywhere on the I-55 stretch in Memphis or West Memphis.