Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Minot, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I head up to Crosby, ND a couple times a year and have been keeping an eye on this thread as well, though I'm not near enough to go check it and be of actual help either. I will say that with the past superchargers in ND they've waited for it to warm up a bit before installing them, though the prefab process does help a lot with the weather concerns, and I know that Sisseton, SD one opened up not too long ago too so they have come at least a little way north. That said, if this truly is going to be a V4 site, at Investor Day Tesla stated they just started rolling out v4 in Europe and weren't doing it in North America yet, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it was at least 2-3 months before we hear more.

Anyone in the area that can swing by and see if there is progress ? Hoping to stop at this site on a road trip from Calgary to Ottawa this summer ;-) It'll save a lot of time vs continuing east to Winnipeg then hang a right to Minneapolis.
Google says it's just an hour longer to stay on the TCH the whole way. Plus you avoid two border crossings. It's a fun drive if you've never done it, but it could seem kind of boring if you've done it before as there isn't much civilization.

FWIW it's 37 hours via Thunder Bay, 36 hours via Minocqua, WI and 36 hours via Twin Cities. The fastest route in an ICE is 35 hours, but it isn't practical due to the lack of superchargers between Duluth, MN and Marquette, MI (you'll probably want to use the Carlton, MN supercharger instead of the one in Duluth anyway). I'm assuming a Tesla with ~300mi/500km rated range. If you have one of the new ones with super long range, then Carlton to Marquette could be doable. It's a 269 mile leg.

Google says it's just an hour longer to stay on the TCH the whole way. Plus you avoid two border crossings. It's a fun drive if you've never done it, but it could seem kind of boring if you've done it before as there isn't much civilization.

FWIW it's 37 hours via Thunder Bay, 36 hours via Minocqua, WI and 36 hours via Twin Cities. The fastest route in an ICE is 35 hours, but it isn't practical due to the lack of superchargers between Duluth, MN and Marquette, MI (you'll probably want to use the Carlton, MN supercharger instead of the one in Duluth anyway). I'm assuming a Tesla with ~300mi/500km rated range. If you have one of the new ones with super long range, then Carlton to Marquette could be doable. It's a 269 mile leg.
Thanks for that !! Yeah we are planning to head through canuck on the way back; we want to stop off in Chicago, Sandusky and Buffalo on the way to Ottawa to visit friends and family. When we leave Ottawa in a coupla weeks to head back the plan is to use the "over the top" route.

Also yeah I've driven the TCH a few times between T Bay and Sudbury and it can be boring but my family has never done it.

Reactions: PLUS EV
I just checked the "Find Us" page on the Tesla website. They do not show any icon for Minot at all. Not sure how Superchargers.info came to think there is a permit for this site. I doubt it will be there for me in June.
Tesla doesn't usually update their map as often or as early as superchargers.info. You can see the filing linked on the original post in this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
I just checked the "Find Us" page on the Tesla website. They do not show any icon for Minot at all. Not sure how Superchargers.info came to think there is a permit for this site. I doubt it will be there for me in June.
It isn't unusual for Tesla's Find Us map to not show known, upcoming locations. Kalispell and Billings, MT are both current examples of this.

In fact, here's a short list of sites that are under construction without a coming soon pin on Tesla's Find Us map:
  • Jessup, MD
  • Las Vegas, NV - 7400 S Las Vegas Blvd
  • Grasonville, MD - Hissey Rd
  • Plainview, TX
  • Escondido, CA
  • Morrow, GA
  • North Huntingdon, PA - N Rhonda Ct
  • ... and numerous others
While no permits have been discovered, the building plans are posted in the first post of this thread.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I had to look into this hoping that this would get done this summer. Last Wednesday, I looked at the Minot Planning website for information on what they had done with the application. The November meeting was cancelled(not sure if weather related) and looked at the December meeting. No mention of any EV charging. Also looked at the January and February meeting minutes and again no mention of any EV charging. So finally called the city offices and after several transfers was able to talk to a gal that did have some info.
The people who first submitted the application had not gotten back to the city to move the application forward. Not sure that I want to try to speak to the people that put in the application to see what/why stopped them for going forward. All I can say is Minot does desperately need a DCFC station of some sort.
To reach the committee minutes go to the City of Minot Agenda Center - Agenda Center
Then scroll down to the Planning Commission. You can then choose which year that you want to see the monthly meeting minutes.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I had to look into this hoping that this would get done this summer. Last Wednesday, I looked at the Minot Planning website for information on what they had done with the application. The November meeting was cancelled(not sure if weather related) and looked at the December meeting. No mention of any EV charging. Also looked at the January and February meeting minutes and again no mention of any EV charging. So finally called the city offices and after several transfers was able to talk to a gal that did have some info.
The people who first submitted the application had not gotten back to the city to move the application forward. Not sure that I want to try to speak to the people that put in the application to see what/why stopped them for going forward. All I can say is Minot does desperately need a DCFC station of some sort.
To reach the committee minutes go to the City of Minot Agenda Center - Agenda Center
Then scroll down to the Planning Commission. You can then choose which year that you want to see the monthly meeting minutes.
Thank you very much for doing homework on this; sadly it looks like it's still several months+ out.

... All I can say is Minot does desperately need a DCFC station of some sort...
FWIW, there are two more recently opened 50kW DCFC in Minot (hopefully more reliable than the existing 50kW stations)

PlugShare link: Pinnacle Express | Minot, ND | EV Station

Not supercharger speed, but good enough to get North/South in most conditions.

Props on the supercharger detective work. 👍

Reactions: Hugh Mannity