Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mountain Village, CO - Mountain Village Blvd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^While there is quite a bit of destination charging in Telluride/Mountain Village, compared to most rural locations, the majority of lodging doesn't have convenient L2 charging options and L2 charging at ski parking is very limited.

So, even for destination visitors, the ability to Supercharge for half an hour before heading home is a pretty big deal, IMO.

Reactions: Fiver
As mentioned upthread, the work to supply power to the new Mountain Village Supercharger Station is underway at the entrance to level 5 of the gondola parking garage:

20210708_141402.jpg

No obvious location for the Supercharger stalls is marked yet, although I presume that it will be near this location.

(I'm currently plugged into one of the two free Chargepoint L2 stalls, also located on level 5 of the parking garage.)

20210708_150345.jpg

^ Gondola, looking up from Telluride.

Last edited:
As mentioned upthread, the work to supply power to the new Mountain Village Supercharger Station is underway at the entrance to level 5 of the gondola parking garage:

View attachment 682682

No obvious location for the Supercharger stalls is marked yet, although I presume that it will be near this location.

(I'm currently plugged into one of the two free Chargepoint L2 stalls, also located on level 5 of the parking garage.)
Is this enough to consider construction has started, @MarcoRP & @Chuq ?

• Helpful
Reactions: corywright
I’ll take a SC in Mountain Village (aka Telluride), but honestly I’m bit disappointed they are putting a SC here before Kayenta or Cortez, either of which would be much more useful for improving popular regional travel routes. I do the Telluride-Flagsaff trip many times a year (as do many Tesla owners I know).

Don’t get me wrong the Telluride area is in need of more charging, but not necessarily a full blown SC before they fill the Kayenta and Cortez gaps. Most people traveling to Telluride do so to spend multiple days in which case destination charging would be fine until we fill the more important gaps to actually get to and from here. Snowbird has destination chargers in their parking garage and they work well even for a day trip. Plug in, ski all day then come back to a full battery.

Where this region NEEDS SCs is Kayenta and Cortez. These are important regional links for those trying to get between Telluride or Montrose and many important locations in Southern CO (Durango, Pagosa Springs) as well as Northern and Central AZ (Flagstaff, Prescott, Sedona, north Phoenix). Right now the AZ trips require significant detours to Gallup or Blanding instead of fastest routing via Cortez and Kayenta. Furthermore even the detour routes are impractcal in most Teslas with skis or mountain bikes mounted outside, which is what many of us bring to the mountains! Kayenta and Cortez would solve these problems.

Kayenta had been on the “coming soon” map for years and was recently removed to the disappointment of many AZ and CO Tesla owners. Hopefully someone at Tesla will soon make these important locations a priority.
I agree with SnowFlyer & dgpcolorado about the need for SC locations in Cortez and especially Kayenta! Would make travel doable to & from northern AZ to southeast UT and southwest CO. A few years ago I emailed Tesla about a potential Kayenta location (Burger King/Hampton Inn) who I know the owners of and would be willing to help initiate contact. Response was generic & not helpful. Looks like I should try again.

I agree with SnowFlyer & dgpcolorado about the need for SC locations in Cortez and especially Kayenta! Would make travel doable to & from northern AZ to southeast UT and southwest CO. A few years ago I emailed Tesla about a potential Kayenta location (Burger King/Hampton Inn) who I know the owners of and would be willing to help initiate contact. Response was generic & not helpful. Looks like I should try again.

Oh, yes, you should definitely try again. As far as I know, the best thing would be for the owner to submit a request to host a supercharger on this page: Host a Supercharger | Tesla

In the meantime, could you politely request that the owner add a couple L2 chargers at either the Burger King or the Hampton Inn (pretty please)? :) There's currently zero L2 charging in Kayenta, and this would be a great addition to open up some trips in the region until the day if/when Tesla can finally install a supercharger!

Anyone have an update on this? Planning to be there in 3 weeks and am very interested.
Thanks !!
As it happens, I was planning to head over there today to see how things were going. It is only 44 miles from my house and 100% of the drive is scenic, so fun to do.

Mountain Village Superchargers2478sf 8-15-21.jpg

^ The V3 boxes and stalls are located adjacent to the main Level 5 parking garage entrance. Those V3 boxes are directly on top of the pavement cutout and conduit I showed in my picture upthread.

Mountain Village Superchargers2472sf 8-15-21.jpg

^ The four stalls already in place are connected to the north V3 unit. To the left in this picture (behind the leftmost cone) is a front-in stall that will be connected to the other V3 unit, along with three more stalls on the other side of the stairwell to the right of the picture.

Mountain Village Superchargers2473sf 8-15-21.jpg

^ These are the remaining three stalls that will be connected to the south V3 unit. The leftmost stall is another front-in, the other two are back-in. That makes two front-in and six back-in for the installation.

Mountain Village Superchargers2474sf 8-15-21.jpg

^ This image gives a better idea of how the three stalls to the right of the stairwell are located compared to the five to the left.

Mountain Village Superchargers2476sf 8-15-21.jpg

^ This picture shows that the wiring for the north (right) V3 unit is hooked up to the four back-in stalls. The wiring for the south V3 unit is not hooked up yet. How they plan to get the wiring to the other three stalls was unclear to me.

Mountain Village Superchargers2477sf 8-15-21.jpg

^ This is a view of the front-in stall nearest the parking garage entrance.

Mountain Village Superchargers2479sf 8-15-21.jpg

^ This picture shows that the main power cables that connect from the V3 units to the other side of the driveway have not been pulled yet, so still a ways to go. Tesla is using a local electrical contractor called "Mathews Electric of Southwest Colorado."

So, it appears that they could hook up one V3 unit to the stalls already in place and turn that one on fairly soon, while continuing to work on the other. However, it would be unusual for Tesla to do a partial activation like that. It may be some time before this Supercharger Station is up and running.

Of interest to me: as you can see from my pictures, the Mountain Village parking garage uses steel I-beam construction, not the concrete and rebar seen in so many other parking garages (and that was used in that collapsed condo building in Florida). Feels way more sturdy and secure than other parking garages I've been in.

For those who want to take their time to explore the area, the two (free) Chargepoint L2 J1772 plugs are also located on Level 5, in the SE corner farthest from the entrance.

At the other end of the free gondola ride from the Mountain Village parking garage is Telluride, with the San Miguel River running through town:

San Miguel River in Telluride2480sf 8-15-21.jpg

San Miguel River, looking downstream (north) from the gondola station.

San Miguel River in Telluride2481sf 8-15-21.jpg

^ Looking south toward the gondola. A walking/bike path runs along the river through town and it is a pleasant walk. Highly recommended for visitors to this area!

As it happens, I was planning to head over there today to see how things were going. It is only 44 miles from my house and 100% of the drive is scenic, so fun to do.

View attachment 697023
^ The V3 boxes and stalls are located adjacent to the main Level 5 parking garage entrance. Those V3 boxes are directly on top of the pavement cutout and conduit I showed in my picture upthread.

View attachment 697027
^ The four stalls already in place are connected to the north V3 unit. To the left in this picture (behind the leftmost cone) is a front-in stall that will be connected to the other V3 unit, along with three more stalls on the other side of the stairwell to the right of the picture.

View attachment 697028
^ These are the remaining three stalls that will be connected to the south V3 unit. The leftmost stall is another front-in, the other two are back-in. That makes two front-in and six back-in for the installation.

View attachment 697029
^ This image gives a better idea of how the three stalls to the right of the stairwell are located compared to the five to the left.

View attachment 697030
^ This picture shows that the wiring for the north (right) V3 unit is hooked up to the four back-in stalls. The wiring for the south V3 unit is not hooked up yet. How they plan to get the wiring to the other three stalls was unclear to me.

View attachment 697031
^ This is a view of the front-in stall nearest the parking garage entrance.

View attachment 697033
^ This picture shows that the main power cables that connect from the V3 units to the other side of the driveway have not been pulled yet, so still a ways to go. Tesla is using a local electrical contractor called "Mathews Electric of Southwest Colorado."

So, it appears that they could hook up one V3 unit to the stalls already in place and turn that one on fairly soon, while continuing to work on the other. However, it would be unusual for Tesla to do a partial activation like that. It may be some time before this Supercharger Station is up and running.

Of interest to me: as you can see from my pictures, the Mountain Village parking garage uses steel I-beam construction, not the concrete and rebar seen in so many other parking garages (and that was used in that collapsed condo building in Florida). Feels way more sturdy and secure than other parking garages I've been in.

For those who want to take their time to explore the area, the two (free) Chargepoint L2 J1772 plugs are also located on Level 5, in the SE corner farthest from the entrance.
Thanks for that more than thorough report!

Reactions: CO_MY
“Only 44 miles” lol. Is that how you measure distances in Colorado?
Rural mountain living: I drive 70 miles round trip to go grocery shopping. I drive 38 miles round trip to visit the gym or work at my volunteer job. The bicycle ride to town is 18 miles round trip with 300 feet of vertical gain outbound and 1000 feet of gain homebound, most of it in a two mile stretch with a 14% grade on one hairpin curve.

The nearest freeway is 100 miles away (I-70). This isn't city living!

Can you see why I was so eager to get an EV fueled by solar panels a decade ago? (I bought a LEAF in Oregon and had it transported to Colorado because they didn't sell them here yet, so something of an early adopter.)

Rural mountain living: I drive 70 miles round trip to go grocery shopping. I drive 38 miles round trip to visit the gym or work at my volunteer job. The bicycle ride to town is 18 miles round trip with 300 feet of vertical gain outbound and 1000 feet of gain homebound, most of it in a two mile stretch with a 14% grade on one hairpin curve.

The nearest freeway is 100 miles away (I-70). This isn't city living!

Can you see why I was so eager to get an EV fueled by solar panels a decade ago? (I bought a LEAF in Oregon and had it transported to Colorado because they didn't sell them here yet, so something of an early adopter.)
Sounds like you must live in Ouray - in which case no matter how far away from shopping you are, you’re a lucky Devil. Ouray is an amazingly beautiful place, especially when coming from Phoenix. So, yes, I second the motion for a Kayenta SC!

• Funny
Reactions: PLUS EV
Sounds like you must live in Ouray - in which case no matter how far away from shopping you are, you’re a lucky Devil. Ouray is an amazingly beautiful place, especially when coming from Phoenix. So, yes, I second the motion for a Kayenta SC!
Ouray County, yes. I work in the City of Ouray at the recently restored 1888 Courthouse.

Now that summer is "smoke season" Ouray isn't as pretty as it used to be, sad to say. Except in winter and spring.

I suppose that's true for much of the West in recent years.

At the other end of the free gondola ride from the Mountain Village parking garage is Telluride, with the San Miguel River running through town:

View attachment 697046
San Miguel River, looking downstream (north) from the gondola station.

View attachment 697047
^ Looking south toward the gondola. A walking/bike path runs along the river through town and it is a pleasant walk. Highly recommended for visitors to this area!
Great report! I look forward to using this Supercharger during my Feb 11-Mar 13 ski trip including Park City, Alta, Taos, Vail, Beaver Creek, Steamboat, Telluride (Mountain Village), then, finally Snowmass. My leg from Salt Lake City to Taos looks a little tough from Farmington Supercharger to Santa Fe in my 8% degraded Model S 90D. Any tips are appreciated! Rather than off topic this great thread, please Private Message me. Yes, I am an ABetterRoutePlanner pro, and have run many scenarios. Thank You!

Reactions: CO_MY
Oh, yes, you should definitely try again. As far as I know, the best thing would be for the owner to submit a request to host a supercharger on this page: Host a Supercharger | Tesla

In the meantime, could you politely request that the owner add a couple L2 chargers at either the Burger King or the Hampton Inn (pretty please)? :) There's currently zero L2 charging in Kayenta, and this would be a great addition to open up some trips in the region until the day if/when Tesla can finally install a supercharger!
Kayenta, AZ is right in the Navajo Nation. I don't know but I can imagine getting approval from the Navajo Tribal people may be an add on barrier for a SuC there. Cortez is outside the Ute Boundries. Map of Native American Reservations located on the Colorado Plateau