Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New York City - Mott Street, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to know the parking fee for Teslas just to charge for max 1 hr. I'm hopeful that they will have a scheme similar to the 72 kW Charger at the William Vale in Williamsburg. $5 per hour for the 1st 2 hours. Not sure what it becomes after that. At the William Vale they are so Tesla friendly that even when they are having "event" rates (which are basically $30 just to walk through the door even if you stay for 5 minutes) the Teslas still only pay $5 for the 1st hour, although you are officially liable for the full $30 if you stay more than 60 minutes. I try to time it that I leave before the hour is up, especially on "event" nights, but I have yet to be charged more than $5 and am not sure if the valets are just being kind or if I have been returning to my car "in time."

the iPark garage on Mott St. currently has a published rate of $27 for 1 hr of parking, although they do have "early bird" specials for $22 if you arrive before 11 am and you can stay until it closes at midnight (the lot is not open 24 hrs) -- there is also an evening special for $20 if you enter after 4 PM and exit by midnight.

I would not pay either the early bird rate or the evening rate for an hour of charging, but I am hopeful that Teslas for charging will be given a more reasonable rate for at least one hour.

As an aside both the Williamsburg SCer and the Mott St one are essentially equidistant from my home. 5.1 miles for Mott st vs 5.3 miles for Williamsburg and they both take roughly the same amount of time to drive to.

Mott St is a bit closer to my office than Williamsburg but I'd always prefer to pay $5 to supercharge than $20.

A friend of mine in NYC checked it out - here's his report:

..so I walked over to the Mott Street Supercharging site today..

http://postmyimage.com/img2/822_IMG_8583.jpg

..unfortunately, it's within the garage, and after asking the boss, discovered that the chargers are available only to monthly users..

..no public access, or even a daily customer..

..not sure how, or why it's considered a SC site..

..but I did manage to add 4200 steps toward my daily average, 1.4 miles..

..so that was good.. :)

..for what it's worth, your monthly parking charge would be $472 bucks, unless you want to 'self park' and take your keys, that would cost you $708..

I called iPark Corporate office and my results were similarly discouraging..

at 1st I was told there was no "charger" at the Mott Street location but there was one at their Elizabeth Street location a block away. I explained to the guy at corporate that I have used the "charger" on Elizabeth Street many times, and the "charger" at Mott Street something different. after a bit of explanation on my part he puts me on hold and when he returns he explains that yes... there is a SuperCharger there but it is not yet operational.

I explain that it showed up on Tesla's map and they only do this if the location is "up and running" but I would take his world for it.

I then pressed him for pricing details. And he gave me the following info, which sadly does not contradict what @JSergeant mentions above:

I was told that daily parkers would be allowed to use the chargers but they would have to pay "the posted parking rates + $3/hr"

I am frankly not surprised b/c I have been dealing with these garages since I 1st got a chevy Volt in the summer of 2012 and then with the Tesla Destination Chargers with my Model S.

I have heard things like:

-- You can only use the chargers if you are a monthly customer.

-- You can only use the chargers when the Manager is around (and, you guessed it, he is usually never around -- or certainly not around during off-peak times when parking rates are cheaper.)

-- The charger(s) are in a spot where a [monthly customer] with his/her big bad (ICE) SUV pays extra to park so if that ICE vehicle is around, you cannot plug in. even if said vehicle is not around, should said vehicle show up the owner gets pissed to see another car parked in this spot, and the garage wants to avoid drama. (usually explaining that Tesla provided these chargers for free goes a long way in neutralizing this argument -- but not always)

The thing is even with a Destination Charger, you need a good 10-12 hours to really fill up a depleted battery, particularly from the 208 V lines that these garages have. So early bird or special pricing that gets you 10-12 hours or parking for $20-$25 is not such a bad deal...

but again, $27 for an hour of parking is insane.

..but I did manage to add 4200 steps toward my daily average, 1.4 miles..

This is one of the things that irks me most about these garages:

They all post 30 minute rates that at least in theory would allow you to pop in and out of the garage to do a quick errand in the neighborhood. but these garages are often so deep in the belly of these buildings that the 30 minute rate is a joke as it takes 15-20 min just to exit them and often much longer than that to retrieve the vehicle. (the valets often ask for 30 minute lead time to retrieve your car)

in terms of supercharging, sure, in theory you could get 80-100 miles of range in 30 minutes. and these valets will sometimes issue a ticket *after* someone has picked up your car to park it. so time does not always start when you drive in. but, by the time you plug in, the charging ramps up.. its already time to get going.. and you have already crossed into full hr pricing. the 30 min pricing is a joke.

anyway.. not really a helpful addition to the supercharger map. But I am hopeful that Tesla will work something out with them.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: MarcoRP and madodel
@Galve2000 I saw these photos on PlugShare. Might you have taken them? The descriptions read exactly what you said.
A0F0DCC5-D8EA-4686-8747-EDB8160CCADC.jpeg
8EC6BC21-FD00-4A6A-BB69-DADA93555144.jpeg

Attachments

• 481AF8C7-E028-4B29-AD71-03052673C5DD.jpeg
    481AF8C7-E028-4B29-AD71-03052673C5DD.jpeg
    544.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 7622CD7A-BA15-4226-8244-18400AAEEAE5.jpeg
    7622CD7A-BA15-4226-8244-18400AAEEAE5.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: st50maint
I'm in New Orleans for the weekend so I can't say it was me. But I'm happy to see that it showed up on PlugShare. Now we just need someone to make sure the SCers are operational -- I suspect they are b/c they are on the "Find Us -- Tesla Motors" page.

now we have to figure out what to do about the crazy parking charges.

For those who don't have a monthly spot at this garage, I recommend driving out to Williamsburg.. $5 goes a LONG way over there.. and it's just over the river.

Reactions: MarcoRP
@Galve2000 I saw these photos on PlugShare. Might you have taken them? The descriptions read exactly what you said.View attachment 282443View attachment 282442

Hey, those are the photos I've added to both PlugShare and Google Maps. I'm glad they could be of use to someone and I guess I did find it kind of funny to find them here.

Anyway, I went over to the garage once I found out the supercharger had opened. I interviewed all the staff there to find out the info and rode down the car elevator to take the pictures. While they didn't indicate it was for monthly customers only, the price for parking was way too high for just a simple surpercharge so I was pretty dissapointed with that. The bright side is that $3 an hour is really cheap but that only matters if you were going to park there anyway to visit Little Italy and the like.

I hope they make a cheaper one to two hour rate soon for Tesla's to charge there, otherwise I doubt many people will use it. At this point, someone on PlugShare has even marked it as Restricted so very few people will end up finding it through there (although that probably doesn't matter for most Tesla owners using the in-car navigation anyway). I do hope Tesla at least gives some more cost details on the in-car navigation for this as well as any future Urban Superchargers that might need it.

Ah well, I'll keep documenting any new superchargers in the NYC area as they come online. Hopefully the other ones won't be so bad...

That location's moved since it was originally placed on the Tesla "coming soon" map. The first "coming soon" they showed was in Soho proper -- on Thomson or Mercer if I remember right, a block or two off West Broadway. I hope that means they're negotiating with multiple locations.

The Quik Park at West Broadway and Broome has HPWCs. I don't know what amperage and I don't know what they cost, because though I like the guys who run that garage, they insist on charging a large/exotic vehicle fee for all EVs, so I haven't parked there since I got the Model S.

A lot of people do drive in to Lower Manhattan in Teslas. I only do it occasionally. When I do (usually because I have an errand to run for work or I'll be working late) I usually park at the garage on Wooster just north of Canal. Charging there is pricy -- $30 flat rate -- but I try to come in nearly empty which helps a little. They have 3 HPWCs and a couple of J1772 chargers too. The only problem is, they have added too many chargers for their electrical service and so voltage sag can lead to the Model S restricting its own draw. That's pretty frustrating. Always looking for somewhere better but that's the best spot I've found so far.

They need to figure out a policy similar to what happens at the William Vale. $5 for an hour for Teslas that are using the urban SCer.

I'm not completely oblivious... parking in Brooklyn (even in now overcrowded Williamsburg) is a different animal than parking in lower Manhattan -- but $30 for an hour of parking is ridiculous. if they want that SCer to get any use at all they need to drop the parking rate a bit. Perhaps not as low as $5 -- tho that would be incredible -- but to $10 or $15 to make the garage useful. I also don't think it is unreasonable for Tesla to subsidize this somewhat. Otherwise they need to be smarter about where they put these SCers.

That location's moved since it was originally placed on the Tesla "coming soon" map.

I made a similar comment when the "coming soon" map exploded with various SCer locations. What I was told then -- by fellow forum members -- I will repeat here b/c it seems accurate info.

The map reflected point in the map where google had chosen to label the neighborhood -- not the actual location of the charger. My personal favorite being Athens, Greece (b/c I anxiously await the arrival of the 1st SCer there) where if you look at the street view of the proposed SCer location there is not a place in sight that might store or park cars off the street, just a residential neighborhood that happens to be the center of the ever expending Athens geographical metro area where Google close to put the Athens label.

I was able to successfully charge here and despite other reports; it did not require a monthly membership.

When I pulled in, I asked the attendant if he could put it in the charger, he asked how long I was going to be there first, (12 hours) then told me it wasn’t a problem. It went on the charger the entire time; I guess nobody else needed to charge.

I was worried about idle fees, but these don’t seem to be connected. I didn’t get the typical message of supercharging almost complete or anything about idle fees.

For someone who’s going to be there a while, I found it no different than a garage with L2 chargers at other garages. In fact I’d prefer the L2s just so it’s not stressing the batteries at the high rate of charge.

For someone looking for a quick charge; I don’t recommend it. The garage was SLOW. It took almost 20minutes before my car actually went up and on the charger, it was another 20 minutes before the car came back down since they use elevators. Then it actually charged around a 50kW max and took just more than 3 hours to go from 30% to full.