Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - North Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except there's no reason for those cars to restrict their charging to solely Petro-Can stations and there are others also building stations as part of the program that will bridge the gaps or provide other options. I haven't seen the ads or marketing in question but I doubt Petro-Can is claiming that EV could cross the country exclusively on their chargers. Just that their stations are supporting and enabling cross country EV travel on TCH.
I think a way to put it, is that once this whole network is complete, you would be able to cross Canada in an electric vehicle WAY faster than you were able to before. That 365 km gap is a bit of a problem, but Petro has literally no services there so what could they have done? That’s probably where most people are going to decide to stay the night at a hotel like the Red Dog Inn to stay and charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Hydro One is installing a station in Marathon that will bridge the gap. I have made a map of all the NR Can funded stations here NR Can Phase 2 You can filter by station owner.

Nice map. Thanks for putting that together.

These were announced in, what, April? And so far, none of the chargers destined for Ontario are even under construction let alone running. Why is this taking so long? I've seen gas stations get built more quickly, and EV chargers are 100 times simpler.

These were announced in, what, April? And so far, none of the chargers destined for Ontario are even under construction let alone running. Why is this taking so long? I've seen gas stations get built more quickly, and EV chargers are 100 times simpler.

The map has run out of views, here is a Google maps version NR Can Phase 2 Level 3 Chargers - Google My Maps

So far 40 of the 250 sites are open, Petro Can is leading the way, Hydro One is yet to get started.

Reactions: JSergeant
More than 40 are in operation, but it is true that Hydro One 0/100 and Canadian Tire (possibly 0/54) are behind. The total seems to be more than 250.

NB Power 7/7
Electric Circuit 39/100.

Given that the contract for these projects started to be handed out this year and some are as recent as the last few weeks, 40 is not that bad a number. Tesla has had planned sites for years and is slowly working through the list. Getting mW sized hydro feeds is not a simple or quick thing to get done, even if you are Hydro One's numbered company.

They seem way faster than Tesla as Tesla is still working on sites announced years ago. In fact I believe the North BAy SC, which is the subject of this thread, was announced in about 2016, if not earlier.

I'm hoping to use this location for a trip to Cochrane the weekend of October 26th. I see that Regina just had their v3 stalls delivered and installed, so fingers crossed North Bay gets their stalls soon!
Hopefully you have family in Cochrance, its 400 km so you will make it there with not much juice left. And hope its not to cold going there... Also its mostly up hill From North Bay to Kirkland Lake... You will be cutting it close if you have the LR model :) Let us know how you make out.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Nope, same as the last pictures posted... No new movements

Looks like the stalls have all been placed. Wonder if they’re V3

Attachments

• 37535B9B-8964-4A91-9442-8CEF40D620E9.jpeg
    37535B9B-8964-4A91-9442-8CEF40D620E9.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 110
Looks like the stalls have all been placed. Wonder if they’re V3

So the connector pedestals are finally installed and the main transformer is also on site. I would also expect that all the inter-connections are now done so it appears the site is now just awaiting final testing and activation. Promising but still no telling how long this will take. Hopefully the North Bay based members can keep a close eye on this for us and let us know of any activity. I had a minor service done Friday an the Tesla tech had no "inside information" to share on when North Bay and Deep River would be ready although both are in his service area so he's looking forward to them being opened as well.

I can't wait for this to be up and running... Not so much for me as I live here but more DEEP RIVER lol.. Also will be nice to maybe have a meet up :) Now I figure a couple more weeks before its online... The one in Regina has been almost two weeks and no power yet. View attachment 466723
With my son at Nipissing, it'll be perfect for when we're visiting. More convenient than getting off at Huntsville on the way home :).