Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - North Bay, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had great success with the Circuit Electrique chargers in eastern Quebec. If I could cross over to QC at Mattawa and avoid all the unreliable KSI chargers in ON, I'd have done so in a heartbeat on my trips to Montreal. Unfortunately, Circuit Electrique doesn't really have any chargers along their side of the Ottawa river there. I might have a FLO card somewhere, but I've always just used their app on my phone and had no problems.

Circuit Électrique now have CHAdeMO chargers on the east side of the Ottawa River north of Mattawa. There is one in Témiscaming and two in Ville-Marie on the way to New Liskeard via Notre-Dame-Du-Nord.
Their app works fine as long as you have cellular service.

North Bay as shown in my nav system on my M3. As per above posts, it would be great if someone could confirm it is really operational.
LoResIMG_2603.jpg

It works. We had our car charging at home before we left. One hour drive, the battery was pre conditioning for the last 45 mins and still maxed out at 55kWh.

We had full regen range and full power range..
Seems low since we should be able to get 170kWh started at 30% SOC

Attachments

• 20191221_133106.jpg
    20191221_133106.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
It works. We had our car charging at home before we left. One hour drive, the battery was pre conditioning for the last 45 mins and still maxed out at 55kWh.

We had full regen range and full power range..
Seems low since we should be able to get 170kWh started at 30% SOC

If it was still preconditioning, then it was still too cold for full speed Supercharging. Regen is only about 60 kW, so your charging speed isn't too far off. The battery pack is about 1,000 pounds. It takes a long time to heat it up from 0C or lower to 40C or more.

Also, the unit of measure is kW, not kWh. kW is charge rate (like horsepower) and kWh is energy quantity (like gallons of gas). Example: charging at 100 kW for 30 minutes will add 50 kWh of energy to the battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Well this is certainly better news than we've had over the last couple of weeks going through the "it's open - it's closed" dance. But those 70 and 55 kW charging rate maxima are a little concerning. Even considering that the car that might still have been conditioning the battery, 70 kW is a suspiciously "round number" for the charging rate to settle at, especially since Terra Vita said he had full power and regen available before arriving and could get only 55 kW. I wonder if the 70 kW limit @Bern101 experienced is a Tesla pre-set maximum while the they are monitoring and proving V3 performance in cold climates.

Last edited:
Well this is certainly better news than we've had over the last couple of weeks going through the "it's open - it's closed" dance. But those 70 and 55 kW charging rate maxima are a little concerning. Even considering that the car that might still have been conditioning the battery, 70 kW is a suspiciously "round number" for the charging rate to settle at, especially since Terra Vita said he had full power and regen available before arriving and could get only 55 kW. I wonder if the 70 kW limit @Bern101 experienced is a Tesla pre-set maximum while the they are monitoring and proving V3 performance in cold climates.
I saw 70KW with 1h30 of preconditioning. Full regen and full power, battery at 46% at the beginning of the charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I saw 70KW with 1h30 of preconditioning. Full regen and full power, battery at 46% at the beginning of the charge.

I'd have to think that with that much pre-conditioning and full power/regen available before charging your battery was fully warmed and able to take its maximum charge rate. As a reference point what size is your battery and if you don't mind its age and mileage?

I'd have to think that with that much pre-conditioning and full power/regen available before charging your battery was fully warmed and able to take its maximum charge rate. As a reference point what size is your battery and if you don't mind its age and mileage?

Large new battery.... That makes your 70 kW maximum power sound sound more and more like a station power limit rather than than one inherent to the car. It will be interesting if other people post their charging experience at the North Bay SC (and others of the newly opened TCH SCs) and are experiencing relatively low maximum charging power rates.

I stopped at the Baldwin charger this afternoon. I was getting about 100 kW into my SR+, starting at about 25% SOC. I have the 2019.40.2.1 update which means I should be able to see a max of 170 kW depending on SOC and temp. 100 kW doesn't seem completely out of line, though I was pretty well warmed up and thought I might have seen a bit more.

• Informative
Reactions: cpwl
I think big earl is right with the battery temp. While I was there in north bay a Dual Motor Model 3 was charging at 105kW..

I spent quite a bit of time in Michigan last winter during the polar vortex and it takes quite a lot to get the battery warm enough for full speed charging. We often didn't get the full speed of 120 kW (at the time) until our second charging stop of the day. That was before preconditioning, so it will be better now, but the battery really needs to be very warm to get 150+ kW.