Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Osoyoos, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome news. Now on to the next thing :) Is the hydro meter installed (usually attached to side of white Tesla supercharger cabinets).
Tried to look at the history of some of the other sites like Hope and Prince George it seems like they took about a month from when the Electric Company transformer was installed till when it went live. Here's hoping that it goes live before Christmas. As Nogassss says it would be interesting to know if there is a meter on the Tesla white cabinet as that is probably indicative that the Electric Company has done their work and it is in Tesla's hands to activate.

Reactions: PStewart
One would assume since they're on the Tesla website and confirmed soon to be locations, that would be enough for a dot on the map here, so people can start discussions on each of these locations. A permit is a bit of a grey piece of evidence since this is not always available to the public. Besides there are some locations that have had a blue dot for years and very questionable that they had proof of any permits .. eg, the location in Burnaby is a perfect example.

Tesla's map is where they want to put superchargers, but not necessarily where they have host agreements and/or permits to put superchargers. There are some blue dots (and a rare cone) that have fallen through and should probably be removed from the map, but we certainly don't want make that problem worse.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
One would assume since they're on the Tesla website and confirmed soon to be locations, that would be enough for a dot on the map
Tesla's map means next to nothing. Confirmed locations how?

I agree that it sucks when blue permit dots languish for months or even years, but this is even more of an argument to be hesitant to add them in the first place.

If a location is posted on the official Tesla website, it's the strongest evidence that there will be a Supercharger there in the future. Nobody else will give us a confirmation so why not use information from the Tesla website for a simple blue dot here. Confirmed by anybody else is pure speculation and means next to nothing. I think that concept is elementary and does not require further explanation!

Thus the question stands to the powers that be. Locations on the Tesla website should be worthy of a blue dot on this site, so that we the public can discuss each location in the proper forum. A blue dot can be removed if the location does not pan out, pretty simple!

If a location is posted on the official Tesla website, it's the strongest evidence that there will be a Supercharger there in the future. Nobody else will give us a confirmation so why not use information from the Tesla website for a simple blue dot here. Confirmed by anybody else is pure speculation and means next to nothing. I think that concept is elementary and does not require further explanation!

Thus the question stands to the powers that be. Locations on the Tesla website should be worthy of a blue dot on this site, so that we the public can discuss each location in the proper forum. A blue dot can be removed if the location does not pan out, pretty simple!
Where would you put the blue dot? Tesla just puts their marker in the middle of the city, so there is no idea where it might actually go. (Sometimes even in a nearby city instead.)

Where would you put the blue dot? Tesla just puts their marker in the middle of the city, so there is no idea where it might actually go. (Sometimes even in a nearby city instead.)

The point is that a blue dot allows a discussion to be started for each location, so that people from that location can begin scoping around for information and photos. The exact location does not matter as it can be moved once the exact spot is found. Case in point, the perfect example is the Burnaby, BC location. It's been there for years, but has allowed locals to begin probing government officials and City Hall for schematics and permits, etc. then provide information to fellow people from that city in the proper forum.

I live in a city where the Tesla website claims to be coming up with a Supercharger next year, and I have some information that I'd like to provide, but without a blue dot in my city, I don't have a place to provide information and photos. Thus the problem and thus the reason for my inquiry on this forum.

No, you've got this almost exactly backwards. It's less a problem after Tesla changed the way that they are curating their online map as it's now much better, but for many years Tesla's map was totally unreliable and almost useless as an indicator of future supercharger work. Even still, there are plenty of locations that get built without ever having first appeared as a grey "coming soon" pin on their map. And there are locations that currently have a pin but will subsequently get deleted/dropped from the map. The major problem with how they used to run their map was that when a project would fall through and the location dropped, Tesla would just leave the pin on the map if they still believed that they would put a supercharger in the area eventually. This resulted in locations having a "coming soon" pin that said the location would be built in the current year for 4 or 5 years in a row.

External confirmation of locations is way, way, way more reliable an indicator than pins on Tesla's map. And it also has the advantage that it gives an exact location for the supercharger and not just a pin that means it will happen somewhere in the city/area. Yes, relying on having independent confirmation will mean that the map on supercharge.info won't show some locations that will get built, but it means that the ones that are on the map are almost 100% reliable. This is a vast improvement on Tesla's map. And if all you want is a map that shows whatever pins Tesla's map has, then just use Tesla's map. If you want to start a thread on TMC to discuss a future location for which there isn't yet confirmation, you can do so. I personally think those threads are useless because, up until the independent confirmation is found, they are almost entirely filled with people repeatedly asking, "Has anyone heard anything about this location yet?" and others responding in the negative.

No, you've got this almost exactly backwards. It's less a problem after Tesla changed the way that they are curating their online map as it's now much better, but for many years Tesla's map was totally unreliable and almost useless as an indicator of future supercharger work. Even still, there are plenty of locations that get built without ever having first appeared as a grey "coming soon" pin on their map. And there are locations that currently have a pin but will subsequently get deleted/dropped from the map. The major problem with how they used to run their map was that when a project would fall through and the location dropped, Tesla would just leave the pin on the map if they still believed that they would put a supercharger in the area eventually. This resulted in locations having a "coming soon" pin that said the location would be built in the current year for 4 or 5 years in a row.

External confirmation of locations is way, way, way more reliable an indicator than pins on Tesla's map. And it also has the advantage that it gives an exact location for the supercharger and not just a pin that means it will happen somewhere in the city/area. Yes, relying on having independent confirmation will mean that the map on supercharge.info won't show some locations that will get built, but it means that the ones that are on the map are almost 100% reliable. This is a vast improvement on Tesla's map. And if all you want is a map that shows whatever pins Tesla's map has, then just use Tesla's map. If you want to start a thread on TMC to discuss a future location for which there isn't yet confirmation, you can do so. I personally think those threads are useless because, up until the independent confirmation is found, they are almost entirely filled with people repeatedly asking, "Has anyone heard anything about this location yet?" and others responding in the negative.

I don't think I have the concept backwards. I think speculation from the general public is highly inaccurate. Not saying that the Tesla website is written in stone, but it sure is far more accurate than an unknown persons speculation and their possibly made up information. It's a simple concept!

Really? You can't create a thread on TMC and post the information? (Which would give Supercharge.info a place to link to to discuss it once it was deemed worthy.)
Exactly. Supercharge.info points here after we uncover a permit, even if the thread was created prior, just to discuss. Go click on a supercharger in Norway and the discuss link takes you to Elbilforum.no - Hovedside . Nobody is stopping you from creating a thread here and the blue dot can come later when an actual permit is found.

This whole discussion about future Supercharger locations (and how they are shown on the supercharge.info website) is worthwhile but probably somewhere other than on the Osoyoos Supercharger thread.

Having said that, I tend to support the long-standing use of the Blue Dot to signify some tangible action that precedes actual construction (such as a landowner agreement, local government permit initiated, etc. Excluding what is shown on the Tesla "Find Us" map that seem to be Tesla's own aspirations that historically had either no time line or a very vague timeline. As other have said, the blue dot can usually be tied to a specific location, not just a vague reference to what can be a large City or metropolitan area.

There are some general threads in places on TMC where general discussion can go (such as Western Canadian Superchargers or Superchargers in Northern California - Location Speculation).

There may be value in having a new dot colour on the Supercharger.info map that specifically relates to location speculation. That new symbol could then be linked to a thread on the TMC website.

...if all you want is a map that shows whatever pins Tesla's map has, then just use Tesla's map. If you want to start a thread on TMC to discuss a future location for which there isn't yet confirmation, you can do so. I personally think those threads are useless because, up until the independent confirmation is found, they are almost entirely filled with people repeatedly asking, "Has anyone heard anything about this location yet?" and others responding in the negative.
Came here to say all of this.

One other option if you want to post about a location, but don't want to start one of those annoying threads, is to post in the "Western Canada Superchargers" thread. It really depends on how good your info is. Obviously if you have permit info or extremely reliable information from a business owner or property manager, start a new thread. As mociaf pointed out, no one is stopping you from doing this. The supercharge.info moderators do not control what threads get started on TMC.

I live in a city where the Tesla website claims to be coming up with a Supercharger next year, and I have some information that I'd like to provide, but without a blue dot in my city, I don't have a place to provide information and photos.
I think what most people are interested in is the info you have, not where you post it. So post the info you have in a regional SC thread and see where it goes. I’m sure we’d all appreciate the news.

Any update from today?

I'm probably heading home tonight (supercharging in Williams Lake right now), but I would make a detour if I knew this were open :)

I have a feeling the same guy I saw activating Prince George will be the one to activate Osoyoos though so there's no way he can get there before tomorrow if that's the case. I did kind of ask him a few questions but he mostly just spoke in generalities so I didn't get much info out of him.
This guy has a name, it's Corey haha.

He's working on them all, just takes time for BC Hydro, as they need some 30-day notice.

So hopefully early December this will be operational. Same with Castlegar 🤞

Really? You can't create a thread on TMC and post the information? (Which would give Supercharge.info a place to link to to discuss it once it was deemed worthy.)
Don't worry there are many locations in negotiations in the lower mainland 😄

BC has the highest EV adoption in North America, we are killing it guys awesome job! 👏

We will get about 8-12 new stations in the next 12 months. Most in Urban areas/cities, and some cities 2-3 stations.

Can't say much now as they are still in the works, but Q4, 2022 will be 🔥

Reactions: MorrisonHiker