Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Palm Springs, CA (LIVE 19 Jun 2019, 11 urban + 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Toadmanor THANK YOU For the information. I am very new to Tesla... Is there a place on line to see how many people are at a charger other than your car? Like from my computer or phone?

ALSO couldn't people just put in there navigation that they are planning to go on a trip that is far away and that would let them charge to 100%?

Lastly if there is a charge that is on your way to your destination that makes it so you dont need to charge to 100% will it still let you charge to 100%?

THANKS AGAIN

@Los Angeles

I am unaware of any way to check on how many charges are being used at any given location other than in your car. The users would change frequently so looking on line before getting in your car may only tell what the number of open chargers was before you even started driving.

As far as people putting in a false trip to circumvent the rules, I suppose that is possible but I have never tried it.

And if there is a charge on your way that the system states you do not need to charge to 100% I believe you can set your car to charge to 100% if so desired. However, the last 20% of any charge takes much longer than the charges to 20%, and 40% and 80%. So I am sure you can do so but not as rapidly as the charges when you car has a state of charge less than 80%.

other than your car? Like from my computer or phone?

Open up the Tesla app on your phone. When it connects with your car, select the charging section.

When the screen changes, scroll down. The closest Superchargers (and also destination chargers) to your present location will show the utilization at that moment in time. I live four miles from the Fresno Supercharger. Right now, at this very instant, this is what my phone shows:

"Nearby Superchargers"
Fresno CA 3/10 available -- 3.0 miles (this is as the crow flies, FYI)
Fish Camp CA 7/8 available -- 45 miles
Harris Ranch 12/18 available -- 46 miles
Kettleman City CA 34/40 available -- 59 miles

"Nearby Destination Charging"
Best Western Plus Fresno Inn 4.7 mi
Double Tree by Hilton Fresno Convention Center 8.4 mi
Chukchansi Crossing Fuel Station 27 mi
Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Selma Kingsburg 27 mi

Keep in mind that they are listing in a radial order and not in a directional order. In my above example, Fish Camp is northeast towards Yosemite National Park while Harris Ranch is southwest along Interstate 5 in the valley. They are not one mile apart!

Thank you CPA. What I meant was is it possible to see chargers that are farther away then the ones closest to you.

Then, no. Sorry I did not get your intent!

This has been a peeve of mine and others for some time now. It is good to be able to see available Superchargers along our intended journey or within a metropolitan area that are not within the radius of our current location.

It is also good to be able to see the functionality of any Supercharger on our smart device or home computer. We can adjust our routing or adjust our stops if we are aware that location Z is down or location Q only has 4/6 working stalls.

Somehow, Tesla does not feel the need to let us drivers know these things.

@Los Angeles

They only do so if you are not on a trip and there is a backlog or others waiting.

So, if you are on a trip you can charge to 100%. However, if not on a trip and there is a backlog of Teslas waiting to charge you will be limited to 80% All superchargers now work this way.
Used Indio Supercharger last week, had trip navigation enabled; it limited me to 80%. There was only one other car charging at the time. I was hoping the 80% limit was only when busy but drove to the mountains today and yes, I would have enough to get there but we need to be able to plug in “Round Trip” because unless I plug in to a tree, it’s going to be 10% when I get back. Limited to 80% at Cabazon. So no extras like sentry mode while camping.

Used Indio Supercharger last week, had trip navigation enabled; it limited me to 80%. There was only one other car charging at the time. I was hoping the 80% limit was only when busy but drove to the mountains today and yes, I would have enough to get there but we need to be able to plug in “Round Trip” because unless I plug in to a tree, it’s going to be 10% when I get back. Limited to 80% at Cabazon. So no extras like sentry mode while camping.
The 80% limit is meaningless if you really need the extra charge. Just hit the Set Limit button and move the line over. That is all. A minor inconvenience.

• Informative
Reactions: IronQQQ and Tzebra
@Los Angeles

I am unaware of any way to check on how many charges are being used at any given location other than in your car. The users would change frequently so looking on line before getting in your car may only tell what the number of open chargers was before you even started driving.

Active charger availability is available in the Tesla app assuming one is logged in.

In the car, navigate to the supercharger station you want to use (or on a trip, it'll tell you where to stop). Then tap the supercharger icon you're headed to and it'll show how many are in use real time; I believe it'll update if you check frequently.

One other issue not mentioned in this thread that I've noticed: Broken chargers are shown as "open" when you check to see if one is available where you're going. Some traveling after Thanksgiving, I noticed there seemed to be broken chargers at the supercharger sites I used (in So. Cal.). I suspect heavy usage over Thanksgiving caused some breakage. BTW, I did try and call in a broken one using the 800 number posted. I got a recorded message that, "we know about broken chargers so calling us isn't required".

The City engineers are investigating whether the street over the parking garage has a structural defect. They asked Tesla to shut down the chargers. They told me their work could take months. Call this guy at the City and complain. 760 322-8339. When I spoke to him he sounded totally oblivious about the Superchargers.