Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Patterson, CA - Speno Dr. (LIVE 29 Aug 2020, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those actually look like the first generation single head ChargePoint stations.
This would make sense since there are two ChargePoint locations in Patterson downtown area.

I was searching for chargers with a circular shape, so this might better illustrate the one I was looking at:

ChargePoint_Charging_station_in_California.JPG

Last edited:
Not only does this fill a gap it will also relieve some traffic off of santa nella (pea soup place) which can get backed up at times from my previous experiences there.

That's why I am happiest about this one. My S 75D doesn't have quite enough range to make it home from the Harris Ranch supercharger home (even though it's only 170 miles), and the Santa Nella charger seems to always be very busy or full when we travel near holidays.

Oh, I didn't think about that. A new v3 Supercharger and all the low battery, slow charging cars are gonna stop there. At least at Kettleman, there are v2 chargers for the older cars. With only 8 spaces at Patterson an old S that wants to charge to 100% is gonna backup that site.

Drat!

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Oh, I didn't think about that. A new v3 Supercharger and all the low battery, slow charging cars are gonna stop there. At least at Kettleman, there are v2 chargers for the older cars. With only 8 spaces at Patterson an old S that wants to charge to 100% is gonna backup that site.

Drat!
Yes, someday the V1 and V2 locations will be filled with tumbleweeds and Randy's V3 capable model S. :):):)

Drat!

The good news is that our older/slower Model S's will still charge faster (and get out of your way sooner) at these v3's than we do at a busy and shared v2, since we can still max out our charging speed without having to share. I would hope that my fellow slow-chargers are also courteous enough not to charge past 80% at a busy charger. I feel like charging past 80% isn't worth the lost time, I'd rather just roll down the road another hundred miles or so to the next one.

Reactions: israndy
I have read places that people expect Tesla to start "reserving" specific charger stalls for specific cars as a way to keep that ganged charger issue at bay. If you pull in next to someone who also just pulled in, the two of you will have an hour of charging ahead, but if one of you two went to a different charger where the ganged stall has already charged its car to 45% you will not charge as slow.

This could mean Tesla tracking the cars along a route and suggesting the charger stop that is likely to be less busy by the time you will arrive based on when you start navigating. Sure there are a lot of variables, but most of them are tracked by the car or the routing software like how fast you drive and how busy the route is. Plus the specific stall to pull into could be assigned as you drive off the freeway or even into the parking lot so there is no confusion if someone takes your spot before you arrive.

No more accidentally pulling your 2014 Model S into the v3 charge stall at Kettleman City because you don't know your car's capabilities.

Last edited:
I have read places that people expect Tesla to start "reserving" specific charger stalls for specific cars as a way to keep that ganged charger issue at bay. If you pull in next to someone who also just pulled in, the two of you will have an hour of charging ahead, but if one of you two went to a different charger where the ganged stall has already charged its car to 45% you will not charge as slow.

This could mean Tesla tracking the cars along a route and suggesting the charger stop that is likely to be less busy by the time you will arrive based on when you start navigating. Sure there are a lot of variables, but most of them are tracked by the car or the routing software like how fast you drive and how busy the route is. Plus the specific stall to pull into could be assigned as you drive off the freeway or even into the parking lot so there is no confusion if someone takes your spot before you arrive.

No more accidentally pulling your 2014 Model S into the v3 charge stall at Kettleman City because you don't know your car's capabilities.
Highly doubt that’ll happen, you really think Tesla is going to put the time and effort into improving something that has to do with older vehicles? If you ask Elon he probably thinks older models no longer exist.

No accident here. I shamelessly use the V3s at Kettleman every time if I can in my S75. No worrying about pairing, stalls are newer, and I can be certain I’m getting the max power available.

At any rate, every time I’m there the v3 capable cars on v2 stalls outnumber the slow cars on the fast stalls 2 or 3 to one. Hardly anybody knows any better and people seem to naturally prefer the stalls out in the open near the main lounge entrance vs off to the side.

Highly doubt that’ll happen, you really think Tesla is going to put the time and effort into improving something that has to do with older vehicles? If you ask Elon he probably thinks older models no longer exist.
It would still nice to have a waiting line with a number display on your screen,
so people would know which car will be taking the next available spot,
by having your number flashing on your screen, a little bit like when waiting at the DMV..

I noticed that the Tesla stay on line blocking any car parked.
It would be nicer to be able to be parked while waiting instead of blocking a lane.

Dang, this charger is one exit south of the one I take to go home during commute hours. When there were only a couple superchargers out there and they were shared, The slower charging cars would hog up chargers. Lately, superchargers seem way less crowded. Maybe a mix of Covid and I think they are putting chargers in at a faster rate and there are more options along a route.

I went on a road trip last week from Los Angeles to northern California Roseville with my Model Y LR AWD. I decided to try the new Superchargers at Patterson, CA since it shows V3 250 Kw chargers, to my disappointment I was only getting 55Kw and I was the only car charging with 7 open stalls. My car pre-conditioned before arriving at the charger. Also, in Lincoln CA, a new supercharger station on Groveland Lane by Target, a new location as well, and I was only getting 65Kw even though the Tesla onboard shows it as 250KW chargers. I was one of 3 cars charging. I parked and did not share with another car beside me. My car was pre-conditioned as well. Both times, my car was at around 35-40% charge remaining. At the Kettleman City Superchargers, it was busy and I was able to get around 115Kw at a 250Kw charger. Not sure what is causing the low Kw at the V3 chargers. I hope that Tesla will make more V3 superchargers, since the amount of Teslas in CA are every where.

Reactions: smartypnz
The amount you get at the V3 (they are not 'shared') depends on the level of charge when you begin and pre-conditioning. You said you preconditioned, however your level of charge was too high to get 250 Kw. There are graphs around this site that show the taper as level increases.
Actually, the 250 Kw doesn't last very long anyway.
Also note that 'just energized' chargers are not set for max - a break-in/check out period.
Try it again with a low state of charge - let us know what you get.

Right at the end of CA130. Fun road. Ends up in San Jose. 40 MPH speed limit, but you won't be able to drive that fast except for a few straight sections.
Don't drive it at night because it passes through Lick Observatory. They don't much like headlights at the observatory.

The SuperChargers at the hotel are unavailable. They show as a gray circle on the Tesla screen last night and this morning. I drove by and there were no vehicles (which is rare) but didn't try to test them. No work trucks were present and each station had its red Tesla illuminated and the little cable lights were on. Perhaps a communications problem and not an electricity problem. Strange...

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

• Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM