Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Payments - Company Lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

Quick question for you as my free Supercharger miles are about to be used up. For those with Company cars, where the company is your own Ltd, do you pay for Supercharging on your company card, or does that have any tax implications from a BIK sort?

Just wondering if I need to change the card saved on my account to my personal one for Supercharging payments, then claim back the business mileage used as per if I owned the car myself, or whether I should just pay for the Supercharging through the company.

Thanks

Heard back from my accountant:

This depends on how the vehicle is used:
Electricity provided for company car drivers does not count as a Benefit-in-Kind if the journey is business use. Drivers can either pay up front for home and public charging and reclaim the costs, or the employer pays for everything and drivers log private mileage, and the energy costs are deducted from their salary. If employers cover the cost of private mileage by paying for electricity home or public chargepoints, then this is classed as a Benefit-in-Kind.

Sounds like having your personal card linked for supercharging payments and then claiming back business mileage is the way to go.

For context, my M3LR is a company car and I'm an employee. I claim the advisory fuel rate of 4p/mile for business miles and pay for all charging (home, superchargers, etc.) myself.

4p/mile will cover home charging okay, but not frequent supercharging/3rd party charging. My understanding is that you can claim more than the advisory fuel rate, as long as you can prove that there's no benefit. In our case, I guess proving this would involve a stack of supercharger invoices, along with some data on business miles and consumption, etc. from manual logs or TeslaFi, etc.

My combined use of home charging with Octopus Go (around 1.5-2 p/mile), Supercharging (around 8 p/mile ish) and free charging is currently at 3.95 p/mile after 20k miles.

If a company car and you are the director, then you have two choices as I see it. If you have a company credit card you can just put that on the Tesla account and bill SC charges direct. Or else have your personal card on the account and claim the SC costs as a directors expense which is what I am doing, it is just another expense of running the company.

You can't claim the mileage (eg 45p/mile) if it is a company car and you are using it for company business. That would be like getting a hire car and claiming the cost of it and the fuel on the company and you then claiming the mileage!

There is no further BIK implication as far as I am aware. The company car is always used for company business.

Last edited: