Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plymouth, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by to charge on my way home and ran into a tech from Tesla Service. One of the 8 towers was getting some work done, but the rest worked fine. They should have the grand opening soon. I still find it odd that I have 2 Superchargers within 85 miles of my house and I live closer to a Supercharger than I do to a Target or a Walmart.

Took a trip down to Plymouth today; the SC definitely wasn't at the mini rest area... while there was plenty of construction going on there, it apparently wasn't open for business (parking lot and entrance not plowed), so about got stuck there making a loop through while the construction workers gawked. :redface:

On the way back through town, drove around a few strip malls before arriving at the other end of town, and on a whim pulled into the Holiday Inn Express to see if it might be there. Turns out, it was! :cool:

Not much to do there, only thing nearby is a Bojangles fast food restaurant and a credit union. Charger worked fine!

Map of the area: 35.850609,-76.756162 - Google Maps

View from the hotel side entrance:
View attachment 42402
Man I love that picture of 8 (8!!) superchargers with a grain elevator in the background. Thanks for posting and thank you Tesla for making trips to the outer banks practical even for us 60 kWh owners.

I think it will be interesting to see how the superchargers impact commercial development in areas like this where there is very little in the way of business now (currently just a Bojangles and Holiday Inn Express). I just visited 7 superchargers from Richmond to Florida. Several of them (noticed at Rocky Mount and Lumberton) have limited ability to walk from the supercharger to businesses right across the street (no sidewalks/crosswalks) making it difficult to get around while the car is charging.

Last edited:
Very curious! ... and yet we haven't heard of any more owners supercharging there. Also, no more pictures of the site? For those of you who are nearby or passing through and supercharging, please check this site out again and reassure us that it is operational {supercharging your car}. Please take more photos of the site as well. Again, I find this very long delay very curious!??!

Did not see a thread for this one. Anyone have any news on this one ? It seems to be under construction but no thread or news .....

The location is know and appears to be operational as of 2/1 but still not on the map. The pictures below I believe are dflye's taken on 2/1 or before.

840 U.S. 64 Plymouth, NC 27962 - http://goo.gl/vabNIN

1606316_10102290552546193_344541330_o.jpg
1522608_10102290552675933_1559433734_o.jpg

The week before the Memorial Day weekend, I took my 85 to the always wonderful Raleigh Service Center to get the shield/deflectors mod, which only takes about half an hour, by the way. While in NC, I decided to drive out to Kitty Hawk, so I stopped at the Holiday Inn Express in Plymouth, NC. I asked the daytime desk clerk if they had many Teslas coming by. She said she had never seen a Tesla, "perhaps they come by at night." She came over to the front door and pronounced mine a "great looking car."

Since there were eight stalls and apparently very few Teslas, I left my car backed into a stall overnight. After a very pleasant night,
we awoke to find that the parking spaces opposite the supercharger stalls occupied by four vehicles belonging to State Troopers. Apparently this is their assembly area, where they can walk over to Bojangles to get their morning coffee. The four troopers were examining the superchargers and my car. So I walked out. None of them knew what a Tesla was. One said he had never noticed the charging stalls before seeing my car plugged into one. I gave them as good a sales pitch as I could and answered questions about range, whether other EVs could charge there, etc. I showed them the frunk and the trunk and the footwell for the rear-facing seat option, and of course the big screen. Hopefully I gave them a reasonably positive impression of both the car and Tesla owners.

It occurred to me after they left, that these guys are probably more likely than anyone else in the US to encounter a Tesla floating in saltwater. And they did not know what a Tesla was. I don't know what to do with a floating Tesla either.

Our stay at the Holiday Inn Express was ideal except that the door-lock card reader at the end of the hall toward the superchargers is not working. Plymouth has several fast food restaurants and a Golden Skillet that I don't know how to classify. Fine dining will require a trip of about an hour, north, east or west, so plan according to your desires. The Plymouth Subway was fine, and the Holiday Inn Express breakfast was nicely served and quite good.

scoots

The week before the Memorial Day weekend, I took my 85 to the always wonderful Raleigh Service Center to get the shield/deflectors mod, which only takes about half an hour, by the way. While in NC, I decided to drive out to Kitty Hawk, so I stopped at the Holiday Inn Express in Plymouth, NC. I asked the daytime desk clerk if they had many Teslas coming by. She said she had never seen a Tesla, "perhaps they come by at night." She came over to the front door and pronounced mine a "great looking car."

Since there were eight stalls and apparently very few Teslas, I left my car backed into a stall overnight. After a very pleasant night,
we awoke to find that the parking spaces opposite the supercharger stalls occupied by four vehicles belonging to State Troopers. Apparently this is their assembly area, where they can walk over to Bojangles to get their morning coffee. The four troopers were examining the superchargers and my car. So I walked out. None of them knew what a Tesla was. One said he had never noticed the charging stalls before seeing my car plugged into one. I gave them as good a sales pitch as I could and answered questions about range, whether other EVs could charge there, etc. I showed them the frunk and the trunk and the footwell for the rear-facing seat option, and of course the big screen. Hopefully I gave them a reasonably positive impression of both the car and Tesla owners.

It occurred to me after they left, that these guys are probably more likely than anyone else in the US to encounter a Tesla floating in saltwater. And they did not know what a Tesla was. I don't know what to do with a floating Tesla either.

Our stay at the Holiday Inn Express was ideal except that the door-lock card reader at the end of the hall toward the superchargers is not working. Plymouth has several fast food restaurants and a Golden Skillet that I don't know how to classify. Fine dining will require a trip of about an hour, north, east or west, so plan according to your desires. The Plymouth Subway was fine, and the Holiday Inn Express breakfast was nicely served and quite good.

scoots

How much driving did you do around Kitty Hawk? Did you charge at the campground there for the trip back? I'm going down there this fall and given that its 70 miles past Plymouth and I'll be there for a while I need to find a charging solution. Plugshare only shows the Kitty Hawk campground as an option although I'd heard tell of charging stations at one of the piers there.