Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Portland, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why would you want the version that everyone wants rolled out to be a swear word?

*checks sig*

aaahhhhhh, makes more sense now.

Because those of us who follow the Supercharger build-out have, since The Event, read the same 2 related posts over and over and over, despite:
- The Event being a demo aimed at generating sales.
- There being a single demo site
- Elon Musk being well known for being a bullshitter on timelines
- Tesla having previously had to restrict charging rates on cars after they've been sold

So, we don't want to read any more about It until Tesla actually deploys It, let alone in a thread about a Supercharger in the opposite corner of the country to Tesla HQ, in a state in which Tesla has no physical presence other than its Superchargers, when right now the more important thing is that there are Superchargers being built, improving capacity and coverage.

How could anything in Maine be urban? ;)

Maine was the most rural state according to the 2010 census.
Census: Maine most rural state in 2010 as urban centers grow nationwide

"According to the new data, 61.3 percent of Maine’s population lived in rural areas. “Rural areas” are all those that aren’t classified as “urban.” The Census Bureau views areas with populations of at least 2,500 as urban — though it differentiates between urban clusters (at least 2,500 people and less than 50,000) and urbanized areas (50,000 or more people)."

Population: 1,328,361

The 3 Urbanized Areas:

Portland, ME Maine 203,914
Includes all or part of Portland, South Portland, Scarborough, Old Orchard Beach, Saco, Gorham, Westbrook, Falmouth, Yarmouth.

I don't think anybody except annoying large city people would consider the Portland area rural.

Bangor, ME Maine 61,210
Includes all or part of Bangor, Brewer, Orono, Old Town, Milford

Lewiston, ME Maine 59,397
Inculdes all or part of Lewiston, Auburn, Sabattus

24 Urban Clusters

Lots of small towns. Administratively challenging.

Because there's so many small towns, there are other pockets where there's a busy 15-20k magnet for smaller towns around it.

Not much changed inside the fence except the arrival of a little dirt and gravel but a new pad between the area and the road.
ED1BE622-39CD-4610-BF42-E5AF7A1671DB.jpeg
59CF0B73-2F49-476F-B9FB-1A2F22296108.jpeg

I stopped in Portland this weekend, but not at this supercharger. I parked in the Fore Street garage which had a nice free 48A Tesla charger and a few other types as well. A nice alternative if you are planning to be in town for a few hours.

Reactions: chjch
I stopped in Portland this weekend, but not at this supercharger. I parked in the Fore Street garage which had a nice free 48A Tesla charger and a few other types as well. A nice alternative if you are planning to be in town for a few hours.
@Robert.Boston has mentioned that he knows the garage owner, who is also a Tesla owner/EV proponent. That garage has had an 80A J1772 and a Chademo for years (since at least 2014)

Reactions: JWardell
@Robert.Boston has mentioned that he knows the garage owner, who is also a Tesla owner/EV proponent. That garage has had an 80A J1772 and a Chademo for years (since at least 2014)

He's attended the NDEW event in South Portland several times.

The owner also negotiated to have a Supercharger installed there, but in the end, despite having signed a lease agreement Tesla canceled without giving a reason. It possibly had to do with the complexity of the installation of additional power, and Tesla prioritizing other locations.

This isn't on Tesla's map or PlugShare. Is it new?

It's on plugshare. Drove to Novare Res for some top notch beers, and by coincidence the back entrance to the garage is the exact point where Tesla nav sent me for Novare. Perfect.

Now I realize this may be higher than 48A and I may have been limited by the 3's OBC

Parking was a shocking $30 but my other friends paid the same and weren't given a full tank of gas :)

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Ah, welcome to the land of the Parking Nazis. Kudos to Tesla for avoiding that garage. For those outside of the NE area, there is a very sharp, very entrepreneurial company called Unified Parking that SWEPT over Portland ME by converting unused corporate parking (mostly after hours) and offering to split the parking fees if they get to manage it. Since they are fee splitting (it rarely is 50%) they charge at least double what the Municipal parking rates are. It's FAR, FAR cheaper to park your car on the street and PAY THE TICKET (whoa, a whopping $15) than pay $5/hr until the cows come home in one of their lots. It's really sad, but it's sort of become a well-known thing to residents that you avoid these lots like the plague, and let the tourists park there instead. For a New Yorker, it seems cheap.

JWardell, It's great to see you in the Portland area. I love your posts. Maybe we'll meet up sometime.

I think everyone is waiting for this SC to arrive, and in second place we all want the Bar harbor one to be next!

Maine is such a great place to visit in the summer, that if you're a Tesla driver, we want you to find a place to charge. It's getting easier and easier by month. Feel free to ask around in this forum or PM anyone from Maine to get the inside scoop.

Cheers,
-ATechGuy

Ah, welcome to the land of the Parking Nazis. Kudos to Tesla for avoiding that garage. For those outside of the NE area, there is a very sharp, very entrepreneurial company called Unified Parking that SWEPT over Portland ME by converting unused corporate parking (mostly after hours) and offering to split the parking fees if they get to manage it. Since they are fee splitting (it rarely is 50%) they charge at least double what the Municipal parking rates are. It's FAR, FAR cheaper to park your car on the street and PAY THE TICKET (whoa, a whopping $15) than pay $5/hr until the cows come home in one of their lots. It's really sad, but it's sort of become a well-known thing to residents that you avoid these lots like the plague, and let the tourists park there instead. For a New Yorker, it seems cheap.

JWardell, It's great to see you in the Portland area. I love your posts. Maybe we'll meet up sometime.

I think everyone is waiting for this SC to arrive, and in second place we all want the Bar harbor one to be next!

Maine is such a great place to visit in the summer, that if you're a Tesla driver, we want you to find a place to charge. It's getting easier and easier by month. Feel free to ask around in this forum or PM anyone from Maine to get the inside scoop.

Cheers,
-ATechGuy

My wife and I bought a place on a lake in Norway. We love Portland, too, and might stop in on our way northward on weekends this summer.

Maine was the most rural state according to the 2010 census.
Census: Maine most rural state in 2010 as urban centers grow nationwide

"According to the new data, 61.3 percent of Maine’s population lived in rural areas. “Rural areas” are all those that aren’t classified as “urban.” The Census Bureau views areas with populations of at least 2,500 as urban — though it differentiates between urban clusters (at least 2,500 people and less than 50,000) and urbanized areas (50,000 or more people)."

Population: 1,328,361

The 3 Urbanized Areas:

Portland, ME Maine 203,914
Includes all or part of Portland, South Portland, Scarborough, Old Orchard Beach, Saco, Gorham, Westbrook, Falmouth, Yarmouth.

I don't think anybody except annoying large city people would consider the Portland area rural.

Bangor, ME Maine 61,210
Includes all or part of Bangor, Brewer, Orono, Old Town, Milford

Lewiston, ME Maine 59,397
Inculdes all or part of Lewiston, Auburn, Sabattus

24 Urban Clusters

Lots of small towns. Administratively challenging.

Because there's so many small towns, there are other pockets where there's a busy 15-20k magnet for smaller towns around it.

Along Maine state highways, you can often spot signs that say something like "Urban area limit" or words to that effect. I remember asking about it many years ago, and as I recall these signs define responsibility for the roads -- the state or the municipality. Could be out of date info, though...