Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger power set by whether or not you have a destination set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your subject said “might” be set and had a “?” it would be less judged as a “disservice”.

What you have is one data point and “circumstantial evidence”. If nobody else corroborates this then it makes your experience highly likely to be a coincidence. If many people corroborate it, or you can repeat the drastic increase before/after setting a destination many times, then you are moving towards proving that it has an effect (for your car anyways, it could still just be a bug with your car only ;))

Peace! OK, I agree that I should have stated this as less a fact and more of a question looking for confirmation which is what I intended. In fact I have scheduled a service visit to deal with Autopilot issues and I will have them look at the charging rate as well. I could not get in until May 24 but I will report back any findings.

As I don't live near a SC at this time of year and don't travel that much, I would sincerely appreciate any testing by others specifically navigating directly to SCs without any beyond destination and record the max charge rate. If lower than 110 KW, please enter a far destination and see if the charge rate changes.

Thanks to all.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
You do not state but at the time of charging did you have any destinations plugged in, maybe the next SC? What charging rates were you getting?

See post #8, before I got all reprimandy. I never put in destinations. This past road trip had I think 8 supercharging events, with expected rates. Some pushed the 150kw max.

BTW, the latest OA update release notes talk about battery pre-warming that allows for more rapid charging. This is presumably only possible if you have a destination plugged in beyond the SC.

Really, be careful about drawing false conclusions. Regardless the trigger event for pre-warming--which is most likely linked to having an upcoming supercharger in nav while you're on the road, NOT by having the next supercharger in nav--does it make sense that a initiating some battery warming protocol would "immediately" (per your first post) ~double the charge rate from 75 to 145?

I don't see how it is a disservice to the community when I start a discussion about a real issue, i.e. low charging rate and a possible solution - entering a destination. If enough people test my theory with an open mind then we will find out if it is real or not.

Except...you didn't present a theory to be discussed in a conversation, you presented a conclusion to be accepted. Had you come in with "I'm seeing this, what do y'all think?", nobody would object and plenty of people would pay attention to the phenomenon you experienced in an effort to gather more data. As I noted upthread, there is actually a non-zero chance that you've found a legitimate 'feature', and as a community we're always trying to find those kinds of things and collectively determine efficient workarounds. But...building random support elements (like: It must be local supercharging!) around a single data point is not the way to do that.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
I have finally had a few chances to test my theory and I can confirm that it is definitely not the case that charging rate is affected by whether or not you have arrived at a SC as a final destination or as a waypoint on a trip. The only limitations I saw were when all charger branches were occupied on arrival (started at 25 kw) or someone plugged into my branch after I started (144 kw down to 92 kw). In fact, as long as I was not sharing and below 50 % SOC I wss seeing 144 kw every time and over 500 mph. I have no idea why I had so much trouble on my FL-NC trip with low charge rates since I was never sharing in any case. If it happens again I will contact Tesla Roadside Assistance if changing plugs does not help. So officially admitting that my theory was totally wrong!

On a side note, for us at least, 144 kw charging is already faster than we can do a restroom break and grab fast food! In almost every recent case the car was ready well before we were. Charging from 50% to 80 or 90% still gets tedious but our max recent stop time was just over 30 min. for around 30% to 90% SOC. I can live with that. Beats the heck out of 45 to 65 min. charge times in my former Tesla, an S75. I am looking forward to V3 chargers so that sharing is no longer an issue.