Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that there is a supercharger in Mechanicsburg PA and I was wondering if anyone knew the pricing. I would also be interested in York, Hershey, & Carlisle PA [if anyone has them].

I am looking at a Model 3, possibly a Model Y (although I prefer a car), I would like to know how tight the turning circle is, how is handles (tight suspension, or does it feel like the car is floating around), 2024 tax credits, how would you go about getting a referral if you don't know anyone with a Tesla (and what is Tesla doing right now for referrals), and how it performs in cold weather. I wish I just knew someone with a Model 3 to test drive it. Maybe I should create a mega thread... or a ton of minor threads... I hate to SPAM everyone. So, I'll start simple at least?

I would suggest going to your local Tesla location and test driving one, or renting one on Turo. As far as getting referrals, literally everyone who has one (so most of the membership here) has a referral code they could send you.

Before everyone here starts chiming in " Use mine!", (which we dont want), I would suggest that you take your time looking around, and IF you decide to order one, THEN reach out and PM someone here that has been helpful to you and ask them if you can use theirs, if thats something you desire to do.

Most of the stuff you are asking has been asked in one form or another in the model 3 subforum, so I would suggest starting there by searching for words around what you are looking at, like "suspension" or "cold weather".

I cant answer you about supercharger pricing, what price they are now doesnt have much bearing on what they might be if and when you might need to use them, HOWEVER its my pretty strong held opinion that if you cant charge either at home or RELIABLY at work, then you should not be considering a pure EV. Supercharger pricing should only matter if you are taking a trip, not for day to day usage.

If you choose to do that (use a supercharger daily) you need to have some reason other than convenience, because you are removing one of the prime advantages (fueling where you sleep or work, while you do other stuff) and replacing it with longer fueling times.

Upvote 0
I noticed that there is a supercharger in Mechanicsburg PA and I was wondering if anyone knew the pricing. I would also be interested in York, Hershey, & Carlisle PA [if anyone has them].

I am looking at a Model 3, possibly a Model Y (although I prefer a car), I would like to know how tight the turning circle is, how is handles (tight suspension, or does it feel like the car is floating around), 2024 tax credits, how would you go about getting a referral if you don't know anyone with a Tesla (and what is Tesla doing right now for referrals), and how it performs in cold weather. I wish I just knew someone with a Model 3 to test drive it. Maybe I should create a mega thread... or a ton of minor threads... I hate to SPAM everyone. So, I'll start simple at least?
I had a Model 3 and now have a Model Y. Both are excellent cars. As far as turning radius, you can always look up specs but let me try this. Imagine yourself making a u-turn from a 3 lane eastbound road to a 3 lane westbound road. The turning radius on both cars is very good. As you attempt to make a super sharp u-turn, you will cross 1 full inside lane and about 1/2 of the center lane.

Both cars have very tight suspension. EV's like Tesla's have a very low center of gravity. When you enter or exit a highway on a cloverleaf, you can laugh at the 25mph suggested speed and easily do 50 or more and scare your passengers as you yell "hang-on".

The Y has more headroom, hip room and total width and a bit more length. The y trunk is larger, considerably. And you are higher off the ground.

Good luck in what you decide to do.

Upvote 0
Well, let's start with your post and break it up a bit.

So, download and install the Tesla App. Tap on your ID, slide over until you find, Charge Your Non-Tesla, and go in there.
One can search for a location (Like Mechanicsburg) and, if one taps on an icon, it'll tell you how much it costs.

I am looking at a Model 3, possibly a Model Y (although I prefer a car), I would like to know how tight the turning circle is

Sorry to be making this short, but the info is under technical specs on the turning radius over at Tesla.com. They don't hide this stuff.

However: These cars don't use McPherson Strut suspensions (which are cheap, but not good at speed), so the turning radius isn't as tiny as one would get on, say, a Toyota Corolla. Having both a M3 and a MY, it's not too bad and haven't had trouble with them in this respect. At all.

how is handles (tight suspension, or does it feel like the car is floating around),

These are Teslas. They do fine at the track. Model Y is a little less bouncy, Model 3 is a bit more. Thing on both cars: All the weight is on the bottom (where the battery pack lives), the motors are down low, so, when in corners, there's nearly no lean. These are cars that can pull 140 mph (on a track), their handling is excellent. The "P" versions have a bit better brakes and such. No floating. They are relatively heavy cars, though: The M3 is just short of 4000 lbs, the MY is just over.

2024 tax credits,

Last I heard the MY tax credits are getting halved in 2024, the M3 credits are going away. Unless you take possession before 12/31/2023, in which case one gets full credit. That's still possible, although getting less likely day by day. You can check with the IRS to get the data on the rebates.

how would you go about getting a referral if you don't know anyone with a Tesla (and what is Tesla doing right now for referrals)

Heck, I'll give you one, and any of the other zillion maniacs around here will do so as well. One isn't supposed to advertise for them, but this is hardly that. You get an email from the sender, then use the link to actually order the car. You have to use the link when ordering the car, or it doesn't go through. I think right now the recipient gets 500 free Supercharging miles; the sender gets "points" which are redeemable for Stuff. I'd check the Tesla.com web site (just search for referrals) and it'll say.

, and how it performs in cold weather.

Answer: Reasonably well. Get a "P" version, they come with Summer Tires, and those are !#%! in cold weather for any car, not just Teslas. All the rest come with All Season Radials. Car's got excellent slip control, evenly balanced on all four wheels, relatively speaking, and so does OK. There's a bit of a drop in mileage in the cold, but all Teslas come with Heat Pumps these days, so it's not bad. Biggest problem is charging, sort of: If one charges from 240 VAC (recommended) at home, then there's no issue. At 120 VAC and 12A (which is a standard wall socket) there are problems at or below freezing where the battery needs to get warmed up in order to charge, but the battery heater needs more power than a 120 VAC wall socket can provide. A 240 VAC wall connector/socket is somewhere between $500 to $1200, unless Things Are Weird at your place, but, depending upon where you are, there may be government assistance.

I wish I just knew someone with a Model 3 to test drive it.

Well, you stuck your head up here, I presume you're in PA somewhere. Find a Supercharger near by (See: Supercharge.info for locations, scrollable, resizeable map) and Ask People. Most of the people I've met at such places are enthusiasts, but Superchargers tend to be used by people on Long Trips. Tesla.com will also tell you where there are Service Centers and Show Rooms; getting an appointment for a test drive is trivial.

Maybe I should create a mega thread... or a ton of minor threads... I hate to SPAM everyone. So, I'll start simple at least?

I'd say that you're about to get more answers than you know how to run away from here. And you're not the first one to have asked 😁.

Upvote 0