Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rancho Cucamonga, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A good amount of progress was made at the site this week.

IMG_2419.JPG
IMG_2420.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG

Thursday afternoon they were pulling the HV cables for the HV extension that runs west from the main charger site. One large flatbed truck, 3 large spools, one per phase, each cable roughly 1.5 in diameter. Landscaping being planted over buried conduit, but landscaping around stalls not yet begun. Transformer pad looks ready.

TransformerPad.jpg
HVCablePull.jpg

Last edited:
I got the technical data from the foreman the other day - I forget we are all nerds and you will all appreciate it. 200 amps per supercharger - 1.2K Amps service getting installed! Pretty cool actually! I am pretty sure that it is 3 phase 208V *not positive on that one though! (I guess it's possible that it's 480v but not really likely...)

Last edited:
I got the technical data from the foreman the other day - I forget we are all nerds and you will all appreciate it. 200 amps per supercharger - 1.2K Amps service getting installed! Pretty cool actually! I am pretty sure that it is 3 phase 208V *not positive on that one though! (I guess it's possible that it's 480v but not really likely...)

I'm 99.99% sure that it will 480 Volt, 3-phase, service. All except some of the Mobile Superchargers and the early, original 6 are 480 Volt installs.

Go through the nerdly numbers. To get 135kW DC out with 90% efficiency requires 150kW AC in per cabinet. Because the Supercharger Cabinets present an essentially resistive load to the grid with a power factor of almost 1, you can do a simple power to current calculation. 150kW/480V/sqrt(3)=180A Those fancy Square-D breakers in the big distribution center are rated at 100% continuous load, so the next standard size up is 200A. Use 6, 200 Amp breakers for the 6 Supercharger Cabinets and the main feed is 1,200 Amps. 6x150kW is 900kW so they will probably install a 1,000 kVA transformer, but because the chances are small that all 6 Cabinets are running flat out for long periods of time, and the utility has much looser rating rules on transformers, you may see a 750kVA transformer installed.

Most importantly, let's hope the transformer gets installed quickly!

I guess you are right. I am just jealous that I don't have 480! I am going to go look at the superchargers in Vegas today. I remember that the supercharger box says it will take 480. I bet you are right. The efficiency of starting with 480 is dramatically better! I can't remember if it's truly 480 in commercial either. Now I have to waste my day to know for sure....LOL #Teslanerdlife

On a better note - I got my HPWC all done yesterday. Does anyone have a spare charger? LOL Is it even POSSIBLE to install yourself? I started 702 Motoring 15 years ago and sold it a few years back - honestly that's probably one of the only things I haven't installed! We did high current inverters - essentially the other direction. I heard that it has a coolant loop in it. Do you just "series" them together in the coolant loop? Has anyone taken apart to take a peek? I kind of feel like I am headed for disaster with this one. But -3600$ for a 400$ box is nothing short of ridiculous! All Feedback is appreciated.

I guess you are right. I am just jealous that I don't have 480! I am going to go look at the superchargers in Vegas today. I remember that the supercharger box says it will take 480. I bet you are right. The efficiency of starting with 480 is dramatically better! I can't remember if it's truly 480 in commercial either. Now I have to waste my day to know for sure....LOL #Teslanerdlife

On a better note - I got my HPWC all done yesterday. Does anyone have a spare charger? LOL Is it even POSSIBLE to install yourself? I started 702 Motoring 15 years ago and sold it a few years back - honestly that's probably one of the only things I haven't installed! We did high current inverters - essentially the other direction. I heard that it has a coolant loop in it. Do you just "series" them together in the coolant loop? Has anyone taken apart to take a peek? I kind of feel like I am headed for disaster with this one. But -3600$ for a 400$ box is nothing short of ridiculous! All Feedback is appreciated.

Here is a picture of the top of the Las Vegas transformer.

Las Vegas Transformer.JPG

It is 480/277. Most larger, commercial buildings use the 277 L-N connections for lighting, and Tesla uses that for the feed to the charging modules in the Supercharger Cabinets.

I had forgotten that the Las Vegas transformer was 2,000 kVA. They must be planning for several private chargers in the same garage, but that is a lot of power, 2 Megawatts! :eek:

As for the car, it must be an interesting job to add a charging module after the fact. As an option initially, it's $1,500, and as a later install, it's $3,600. Either that is a lot of shop time, or Tesla is making a ton of money on the add-on.

Each of the six (135kW out/150kW in) chargers draws power at 480V phase-to-phase, which is supplied by the low voltage side of the transformer. Even at 480V, the total current drawn by all 6 chargers is so high you want to install the transformer close to the SC cabinets. The cables being pulled off the large spools will be carrying the high voltage from the original HV vault to the transformer pad. A common distribution voltage is 12KV, but I understand newer distribution voltages go as high as 35KV.