Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rancho Cucamonga, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Each of the six 135kW chargers draws power at 480V phase-to-phase, which is supplied by the low voltage side of the transformer. Even at 480V, the total current drawn by all 6 chargers is so high you want to install the transformer close to the SC cabinets. The cables being pulled off the large spools will be carrying the high voltage from the original HV vault to the transformer pad. A common distribution voltage is 12KV, but I understand newer distribution voltages go as high as 35KV.

Absolutely!

Most of the thickness in those cables coming off the spools is insulation to take care of the 12-35 kV.

The current draw on the Medium Voltage side of the transformer is pretty modest and does not need much wire thickness.

1,200Amps*0.48kV/12kV = 48 Amps and 1,200Amps*0.48kV/35kV = 16 Amps

That was one of Tesla's great ideas!

Went by the RC SC today. Transformer installed on that nice concrete pad now. Crew was there bringing conduit up through it. They thought it would be on by Thursday or earlier. Tesla then needs to test. Sorry, didn't get pictures as I was in a hurry. Transformer looked nice dark green though, just like the one in Cottonwood's LV picture above.

The crew also mentioned they were told to be prepared for an expansion at this site in near future. They didn't know where exactly. Seems odd Tesla would already be contemplating another expansion when this one wasn't even finished yet. So I am taking that rumor with a chunk of salt.

Excuse me if I am wrong, but all that I have seen in the pictures are a transformer pad. I don't think anyone has posted a picture of an installed transformer, yet.

Apparently it's installed:

Went by the RC SC today. Transformer installed on that nice concrete pad now. Crew was there bringing conduit up through it. They thought it would be on by Thursday or earlier. Tesla then needs to test. Sorry, didn't get pictures as I was in a hurry. Transformer looked nice dark green though, just like the one in Cottonwood's LV picture above.

The crew also mentioned they were told to be prepared for an expansion at this site in near future. They didn't know where exactly. Seems odd Tesla would already be contemplating another expansion when this one wasn't even finished yet. So I am taking that rumor with a chunk of salt.

Went by this overcast morning, and the SC was desolate around there. Took a couple pics.

IMG_0533.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG

EDIT: I'm plugged in, but of course its not charging. Just wanted to be first to post pic of plugging in at RC. :biggrin:

Went by this overcast morning, and the SC was desolate around there. Took a couple pics.

View attachment 63676

Thanks for the pictures.

Sorry for doubting Bound666. Yes, that is one big transformer and does look a lot like the 2,000 kVA one in LV. Who's going to get the first pic of the capacity label on the transformer.

Looks like the only step left is for Tesla to do its final QC testing before turning on the site! Hopefully the city will issue a TCO before the landscaping is complete.

Landscaping, including trenches for irrigation, being installed today, Monday. Also work on HV junction box just across road from transformer.

I had a nice chat with the actual Contractor. He expects the power to go on Wednesday morning, consistent with the earlier report last week from C.R. Moorhead. The contractor said the power provisioning included power to supply a row of J1772 chargers immediately to the south of the SCs as requested by Victoria Gardens, but installing those EVSEs was not part of his contract. I am glad Victoria Gardens is installing the J1772 for other electric vehicles - it is long overdue. They were smart and saved money combining with the Tesla project.

He said there was lots of plumbing that had to be re-routed for this project, both along the HV extension and around the main SC area. He was offered extra bucks to pay overtime for the weekend, but it would only have saved one day. He and his crew also did Oxnard, where there was a long delay from Edison. Here RCMU was really motivated. Tesla invited him to bid on other SC projects, but they wanted him to start before he had finished this one, and that was not possible. As far as he knew, Lone Pine had not yet gone to bid, but he knew about Cabazon, Thousand Oaks, Calabasas, El Centro. El Centro has been delayed by electric utility, long power run.

There were too many folks standing around for me to get close to the transformer to get a look at the nameplate KVA rating as requested by Cottonwood and SW2Fiddler. I walked all the way around it, but from a distance I could not see anything that looked like a nameplate. The south side is a pair of hinged panels and the north side is large cooling fins. Where exactly on the exterior of this green monster, not behind the hinged panels, would one look for the nameplate ?

If power goes live Wed morning, do you suppose Tesla would do testing the same day ?

He said there was lots of plumbing that had to be re-routed for this project, both along the HV extension and around the main SC area. He was offered extra bucks to pay overtime for the weekend, but it would only have saved one day. He and his crew also did Oxnard, where there was a long delay from Edison. Here RCMU was really motivated. Tesla invited him to bid on other SC projects, but they wanted him to start before he had finished this one, and that was not possible. As far as he knew, Lone Pine had not yet gone to bid, but he knew about Cabazon, Thousand Oaks, Calabasas, El Centro. El Centro has been delayed by electric utility, long power run.

Have Thousand Oaks and Calabasas been reported? First I've heard. They look to be way too close together and unnecessary already having Oxnard.

In post 116, the rating is stenciled large in white paint on the cooling-fin side.
Here in the Bay area (PG&E), none of the ground transformers I've seen has any stenciling or external I.D. plate indicating power rating, just some stick on numbers proceeded by 'T-' to identify the specific transformer to PG&E. I assume there's a data plate internally. Pole mounted transformers are another matter, as they usually have their kVA rating stenciled on them, IIRR black letters on white. So, depending on the local utility practice the kVA rating may not be present on the outside.

Went by on Saturday night and EVERY spot was taken. Granted the signs aren't up but it's not even Christmas shopping time. I hope the signage is good. They do have lots of parking security there so I bet it won't be an issue if they are tasked with enforcement of the tesla spaces

- - - Updated - - -

Went by on Saturday night and EVERY spot was taken. Granted the signs aren't up but it's not even Christmas shopping time. I hope the signage is good. They do have lots of parking security there so I bet it won't be an issue if they are tasked with enforcement of the tesla spaces

Really? That sucks. Maybe time for some green traffic cones? They worked at other locations where ICE'ing was a problem. I recommend that TMC forum members who plan to frequent this site each buy and contribute one for the cause. Heck, I'll contribute one even though I may only visit this SpC once a year. Well, let's wait to see what happens first.