Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chester, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve only been to Glen Allen SC a dozen times on road trips. Always alone by myself charging. Is there really that many M3 reservations for Richmond? Or is it really busy during peak hours? I would never have expected they’d make it larger, or add a second one like they are. Oh, and Gaithersburg, MD doesn’t have the power for a SC either, so Tesla is installing 200 or 300kw of power packs on site. I’d have to look it up on the permit.

I’ve only been to Glen Allen SC a dozen times on road trips. Always alone by myself charging. Is there really that many M3 reservations for Richmond? Or is it really busy during peak hours? I would never have expected they’d make it larger, or add a second one like they are. Oh, and Gaithersburg, MD doesn’t have the power for a SC either, so Tesla is installing 200 or 300kw of power packs on site. I’d have to look it up on the permit.

I've seen it packed on weekends fri - sun, lots of folks stop here for 95 corridor traveling back and forth.

Reactions: OBX John and jrreno
Chester, VA

Along Primary Interstates: I-95
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-1*, US-301*
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-95:
To: Glen Allen, VA - 24.9 miles
Diversion: 0.9 miles
To: Woodbridge, VA - 97.3 miles

Neighbors:

^Woodbridge, VA (US-1,I-95,u): 97.3 miles
Norfolk, VA (US-1,I-95,VA-895,I-295,I-64,VA-165): 99.6 miles
Plymouth, NC (US-1,I-95,NC-46,US-301,US-158,u,US-258,NC-308,US-17BYP,US-17,u,NC-45,US-64): 150 miles
Rocky Mount, NC (US-1,I-95,US-64): 110 miles
South Hill, VA (US-1,I-95,I-85,US-1): 66.3 miles
^Charlottesville, VA (US-1,I-95,I-64,US-250,VA-743): 85.4 miles
^Strasburg, VA (US-1,I-95,US-17,I-66,I-81,US-11): 149 miles
^Martinsburg, WV (US-1,I-95,US-17,I-66,US-17,I-81,VA-9/WV-9): 175 miles
Glen Allen, VA (US-1,I-95,I-64,US-1)): 24.9 miles

* US-1 and US-301 are concurrent
^ Ignoring Glen Allen, VA

Reduces the gap north on I-95 from Rocky Mount, NC from 132 miles to 108 miles.
Lumberton, NC gap is 225 miles, doable in a long-range Tesla.
So adds flexibility along I-95.
Also allows for I-95/I-64 travel with less diversion.
With the small diversion, a nice addition.

The Chester location has been added to the official Tesla map, but the 2nd Richmond location is still on the map too. I figured the 2nd Richmond location = Chester, but now that they're both on the map I'm wondering if there's more in store for the Richmond area. ...Maybe one of the new 72 kW chargers somewhere?

Thanks for the pictures. Did you notice a utility transformer (big green box) or an empty concrete pad for one near but outside of the supercharger cabinet enclosure?

Did my daily Chester Supercharger recon on the way home today. Over the past 24 hours good ol' Dominion finally installed their 'big green box' and the fence surrounding the superchargers has been removed. I excitedly attempted to sip some brand new, fresh electrons, but it looks like this supercharger has not yet been activated quite yet. Should be ready any day now - will stop by again tomorrow!

IMG_0237.JPG

Well... Still doing my daily checks and still not online as of this morning (Manager at Wawa on Friday told me it would be activated this past weekend)....

Sure getting a lot of strange looks as I back in, eagerly grab the cord, plug in, frown, unplug and drive away. :D

Reactions: BigD0g
Well... Still doing my daily checks and still not online as of this morning (Manager at Wawa on Friday told me it would be activated this past weekend)....

Sure getting a lot of strange looks as I back in, eagerly grab the cord, plug in, frown, unplug and drive away. :D

Thanks for doing all the recon! If we ever have to take 460 instead of 64 on our way to the mountains, that's a much better location than Glen Allen for us.

The original pic I posted was from a co-worker, so I had to do some recon myself at lunch today. The good news is that it is basically already complete - all 8 stalls are in and it looks like it is all wired up & ready to go. I spoke to a worker at WaWa and he said that they were just waiting for the final inspection and he indicated it may be open as early as next week!

The 8 stalls are in the front of the WaWa, so they back up right to Route 1/Jefferson Davis Hwy. They are all rear chargers (no side chargers).

Here are some new pictures I took just about 20 minutes ago :

View attachment 246307 View attachment 246308 View attachment 246309
:)

Chester SC is now officially open for business! (120kW max, 8 stalls)

I noticed on Tesla.com last night that the Chester SC was still marked as grey (opening soon), but had the stall info and address info updated. This morning I checked my map and sure enough it was included as an available SC.

Just stopped by a few minutes ago and did a quick 30mi charge just for kicks and had some very friendly conversations with some of the locals who were wondering what it was all about. After I mentioned it was free, one gentleman asked if he could use it on his diesel truck!

Chester SC is now officially open for business! (120kW max, 8 stalls)

I noticed on Tesla.com last night that the Chester SC was still marked as grey (opening soon), but had the stall info and address info updated. This morning I checked my map and sure enough it was included as an available SC.

Just stopped by a few minutes ago and did a quick 30mi charge just for kicks and had some very friendly conversations with some of the locals who were wondering what it was all about. After I mentioned it was free, one gentleman asked if he could use it on his diesel truck!

No pics of the breaking in of the new SC and the suckling of free electrons???

Nice!! I was about to drive down from Glen Allen to steal your thunder, LOL! ;)

Given we have the same color car nobody would know the difference.... Btw, great color choice!

Haha - this morning I thought someone had already beaten me to the punch as the Chester SC appears to be showing 1 stall always in use... When I arrived, no one else was there (and it updated to show two in use while I was charging and then went back to one immediately after I left) - so perhaps one of them is offline or Tesla is showing this temporarily just to indicate that it is indeed functional now???

How do you like your white seats? I had my MS at the Richmond Service Center yesterday to get the parking brake recall done and got the chance to drive a Model X 100D for the day with those seats. They are absolutely beautiful, but with 2 young kids (5 and 7) it also made me cringe at the thought of spilled food and/or drinks (which is why it is MANDATORY that they ride in the rear-facing seats).

How do you like your white seats?

I love em, I have a 15, 13, and 2.5 year old and they are fantastic. And try as my baby might, she's been unable to stain the seats, including a gatorade incident, fruit bunch, and a really bad bought with chick-fil-a. The seats one in each of these fights with just a simple baby wipe. I'd definitely get them again.