Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chester, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Not VA Center Commons)
Tesla's website shows a supercharger coming to downtown Richmond near the Carpenter Center by end of 2017 with the caveat that location and timing is subject to change. I read that Tesla was shifting its strategy to put superchargers in urban areas to give condo and apt dwellers a place to charge (also eventually for the Tesla network). Perhaps this location is related to this strategy?

Does anyone have any info on this? I searched, but I could only find info on the mall site. I assume this isn't related to the new Richmond showroom, as that site has destination chargers only.

• Helpful
Reactions: bsf29
Thanks, Sonny. I didn't expect it to be the actual location, but Glen Allen isn't technically Richmond. And Tesla calls one Glen Allen and this one Richmond. I was hoping there'd be one closer to my place downtown. Oh well...fingers crossed!

When you google "9850 West Broad Street" they have 4 charger outside in the parking lot in the Glen Allen store but not supercharger ?
There are many reasons why a store may have HPWC's but not Superchargers such as not enough power from the grid, not enough space in parking lot, landlord would not allow, permitting would not allow, no available 24 hour services or Tesla just didn't want to.

There are many reasons why a store may have HPWC's but not Superchargers such as not enough power from the grid, not enough space in parking lot, landlord would not allow, permitting would not allow, no available 24 hour services or Tesla just didn't want to.

There is not enough power available in the shopping center to support an SC. My birdy told me this long ago, they wanted one, but Dominion couldn't provide the power to support it.

I also heard that Tesla is no longer installing superchargers outside Service Centers because of the unexpected demand it puts on service. People stopping by to charge have small concerns they want addressed right away, service didn't have the time allotted, and the owner gets upset because it can't be taken care of. It's a bad experience for everyone. Heard this in regards to the supercharger up in Dedham MA.

Thanks did not know, may make more sense to install one around 288 or the split of I 95 and I 85.(Petersburg area)

That's what I was thinking as well, since there is a fair amount of distance between the Glen Allen and Rocky Mount chargers on 95. I would absolutely love a supercharger off of 288/95 since that would be in the path of my daily commute! Petersburg - not so much...

Breaking news - I can confirm we have a new supercharger being built right now in the Richmond area! It looks like it will be at the WaWa on 11701 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Chester, VA 23831. This is on Route 1 (Jefferson Davis Hwy/Osborne Rd) just about a 1/2 mile south of 288.

Here's a picture to prove it:

Chester_Supercharger.jpg

The original pic I posted was from a co-worker, so I had to do some recon myself at lunch today. The good news is that it is basically already complete - all 8 stalls are in and it looks like it is all wired up & ready to go. I spoke to a worker at WaWa and he said that they were just waiting for the final inspection and he indicated it may be open as early as next week!

The 8 stalls are in the front of the WaWa, so they back up right to Route 1/Jefferson Davis Hwy. They are all rear chargers (no side chargers).

Here are some new pictures I took just about 20 minutes ago :

SC_8_Stalls.JPG
SC_Power.JPG
SC_Wawa.JPG

The original pic I posted was from a co-worker, so I had to do some recon myself at lunch today. The good news is that it is basically already complete - all 8 stalls are in and it looks like it is all wired up & ready to go. I spoke to a worker at WaWa and he said that they were just waiting for the final inspection and he indicated it may be open as early as next week!

Thanks for the pictures. Did you notice a utility transformer (big green box) or an empty concrete pad for one near but outside of the supercharger cabinet enclosure?

Thanks for the pictures. Did you notice a utility transformer (big green box) or an empty concrete pad for one near but outside of the supercharger cabinet enclosure?

Yeah, come to think about it - that was the major piece that was still missing. I'm assuming that's Dominion Power's job at this point to install the transformer? There was a large container "pod" still in the construction site, so I wasn't sure if that was Tesla's or Dominion's.