Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rowland Heights, CA (LIVE 7 Nov 2020, 8 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only half of the superchargers are usable, the back row pedestals are still covered.

If these pallets are the same as the temporary pallets deployed in other locations, there are three pedestals per pallet. Only two are wired up however, depending on the topology of the parking area where the pallet is deployed. It'd be interesting to get close-ups of the pallets to see if they're really the same as we have seen elsewhere.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
If these pallets are the same as the temporary pallets deployed in other locations, there are three pedestals per pallet. Only two are wired up however, depending on the topology of the parking area where the pallet is deployed. It'd be interesting to get close-ups of the pallets to see if they're really the same as we have seen elsewhere.

Bruce.
See pics

Attachments

• 164DC366-8DB6-4594-8C55-0D2934B5256A.jpeg
    164DC366-8DB6-4594-8C55-0D2934B5256A.jpeg
    449.8 KB · Views: 121
  • E274242C-1FBC-48A7-B694-659716F05319.jpeg
    E274242C-1FBC-48A7-B694-659716F05319.jpeg
    585.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Changed the location name the thread title, @MarcoRP may want to do the same for supercharge.info.

Anyone up for posting a picture of their car actually charging here? (Libyan terrorists optional.)

Thanks,

Bruce.

Much as I hate to be a nudge, the Supercharger is located within the City of Industry. Rowland Heights is the unincorporated area to the east.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and totoro722
After so many years, Tesla finally deployed the first Super Charging station in the heart of San Gabriel valley area.

Just curious. Did Tesla get the permit to install this SC station?

No Idea. But my hunch is that since the Mall was largely shut down for months due to COVID, management may have been happy to have whatever income they may get from leasing the parking spaces to Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: ScottRoberts33
Much as I hate to be a nudge, the Supercharger is located within the City of Industry. Rowland Heights is the unincorporated area to the east.

In general, we here on TMC (as well as the team for supercharge.info) call Superchargers by the name that Tesla uses on the Nav, app, and Web site...even in those cases where the official naming is counter-intuitive or outright wrong.

Bruce.

As far as it being a temporary location, I wonder if Tesla are trying it out, in order to gauge demand? I don’t think they have ever done that before, but it might not be a bad idea, in order to things like the Madonna Inn Supercharger, which was overloaded for so long.

Thanks, that's helpful! Those do look like the temp pallets we've seen in some other locations. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those "Coming Soon" pedestals...aren't really. If for no other reason than the V2 charger on the pallet has never been seen to feed more than two urban pedestals. Maybe they had those bags lying around and that's all they had?

Bruce.

This is an interesting use of "Temporary" Urban Superchargers.

My hypothesis is that Tesla is experimenting with a new way of deploying Urban SCs even faster and cheaper.

If all you have to do is run conduit and can then bolt down 2-3 stalls, I imagine this is a lot faster/easier/cheaper than having to bolt down a SC2 cabinet and two urban stalls.

The downside here is the lack of flexibility of adapting to different parking lot configurations. So this type of install wouldn't necessarily work for all parking lots - or at least all stalls in a parking lot.

I would also think that Tesla would eventually aim to allow 3 stalls per SC cabinet and dynamically allocate power as needed between cords as is one between V2 150 kW SCs. In a shopping mall situation, the difference between 50 kW peak and 75 kW peak for a period of time doesn't matter most of the time.

Very unique installation. I don't see a typical switchgear or transformer in sight. Also, nav says 10 stalls available but there is definitely only 8. Chargers on the backside of the pallets that are covered with drapes looked to be blocked by parking poles. And based on what we know about these pallet style "temp" charger design being deployed in other areas, only 2 of the 3 chargers per pallet should be functional anyhow. This definitely looks like a permanent installation however. I arrived with 50%SoC and never peaked over 50kw (my peak was exactly 50kw however towards the end of my charge session) and I was preconditioned.

Attachments

• 20201109_114134.jpg
    20201109_114134.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 20201109_112949.jpg
    20201109_112949.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20201109_112937.jpg
    20201109_112937.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20201109_112930.jpg
    20201109_112930.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20201109_114847.jpg
    20201109_114847.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 86
Very unique installation. I don't see a typical switchgear or transformer in sight. Also, nav says 10 stalls available but there is definitely only 8. Chargers on the backside of the pallets that are covered with drapes looked to be blocked by parking poles. And based on what we know about these pallet style "temp" charger design being deployed in other areas, only 2 of the 3 chargers per pallet should be functional anyhow. This definitely looks like a permanent installation however. I arrived with 50%SoC and never peaked over 50kw (my peak was exactly 50kw however towards the end of my charge session) and I was preconditioned.
Excellent pics. Thanks for sharing.