Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX - Broadway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that this is definitely happening, I offer up my assessment, based on a moderate knowledge of the area -- once or twice a week, I work from a client's office a couple of blocks away from this site.

Overall, I expect this will be a busy SC, especially during the day and early evening. It will be the only one inside the San Antonio inner belt; it's just northeast of downtown and just southeast of a gentrifying area containing many new condominiums and town homes.

Tesla faced a challenge here that could never be met perfectly. The inner belt has needed a SC for a long time. Securing a spot with (a) ease of access, (b) 24/7 amenities, (c) adequate space and (d) good public safety was probably an impossible task. They seem to have done about as well as can be expected.

The good: during regular hours, you have plenty of dining options nearby -- Pete's Takos is one of the best reasonably-priced Mexican joints in town. And many other restaurants are within walking distance. It also has good ease-of-access to the freeway, and I've never noticed this parking lot to be anywhere close to full -- ICEing shouldn't be a concern. Some might also say "walking distance to the Alamo!" Well, it's not a short walk, and certainly wouldn't be fun in the blazing hot Texas summer time. "Walking distance to the River Walk". Yes, it's not a terribly far walk to the closest access to the greater River Walk. And if you are just looking to stretch your legs, it's fine. But if you want the shops-and-restaurants part of the RW, see my comment regarding the Alamo.

The bad: Lack of 24/7 amenities and (possibly) public safety. Late night/early morning, can you remain locked in your car? You'll probably be okay. Need restroom and refreshments? The only convenience store within a reasonable walk is around the corner and across the street. But it's an older store -- not a dump, but definitely showing its age -- and you are moving in the direction of the homeless and a very sketchy neighborhood. It's also not 24/7. Hours are currently listed as Monday - Saturday: 5am - 10pm; Sunday: 7am - 7pm. The next nearest store is quite a bit further walk, is even sketchier and is much smaller (I don't think it has a public restroom), though it does stay open until midnight.

Bottomline: Good stop from sun-up until mid-evening. After that? Be careful. Maybe stop just long enough to get you to the next nearest SC on your route.

Not much progress. Inching forward.
PXL_20230826_142229795.jpg
PXL_20230826_142250862.jpg

Pictures taken this morning, about an hour ago

Ah, so in the last 40 days, they've rotated that little pile of unused conduit 90 degrees. Next month, they can concentrate on sweeping or maybe touch up those stripes.
That's about right. I was hoping to see some progress, but it seems to be on pause. Maybe some other eagle eyed poster can find a sign of progress since the last set of pictures ~6 weeks ago.