Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX - East Basse Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
San Antonio has 3 Superchargers, while College Station has 1 Supercharger. Have no idea why you think San Antonio has zero? Additionally, getting Superchargers closer towards downtown is an "issue" with all cities, not just San Antonio. If you're just looking at "inside the loops", then San Antonio has 0, Houston has 1, Dallas has 3, and Austin has 2 (or 3 if you want to count the bad one on South Congress). So that all tracks also. CoSA really loves their EVs, they just can't get Tesla or any of the other vendors to prioritize over the bigger and more important cities in Texas.
I wasn't meaning superchargers, rather any DC fast charger. I chose 410 because it seemed odd that it was as close to the city as any of them got to.
This charger was the first to appear inside that convenient loop and seemed to be taking a long time.
Just after I posted my conspiracy theory its bubble was burst by the permit showing up for Broadway which leaves another theory it tatters amongst the sea of other failed conspiracy theories :rolleyes:
I'm sure there are more out there, this is Texas after all :cool:

I wasn't meaning superchargers, rather any DC fast charger. I chose 410 because it seemed odd that it was as close to the city as any of them got to.
This charger was the first to appear inside that convenient loop and seemed to be taking a long time.
Just after I posted my conspiracy theory its bubble was burst by the permit showing up for Broadway which leaves another theory it tatters amongst the sea of other failed conspiracy theories :rolleyes:
But it could take a looooong time after permit being issued to start construction

I mean if you meant any DC fast chargers, then you're even more off on your numbers since San Antonio has 11 DC Fast chargers (8 CCS and 3 Tesla) and College Station has 3 DC Fast Chargers (2 CCS and 1 Tesla). So I have no idea what you're getting at to try to imply that it is so bad in San Antonio that even small city College Station somehow has more EV charging investment/support when that's clearly not the case.

And Superchargers taking a "long time" from permit to any action is nothing new or unique to San Antonio. There have been a handful of other Superchargers in Texas, the USA, and the World that have taken literally years from permit to completed Supercharger site.

San Antonio was home to two billionaires who made fortunes with car dealerships. Their influence on city government kept Tesla out of San Antonio for years. These businessmen, now gone, are still highly respected in the community - for all the right reasons. One should not underestimate the political influence of such men.

The billionaires weren’t necessarily against EVs, they were simply trying to force Tesla into awarding them dealerships.
If you were in their situation, what would you do?

San Antonio has 3 Superchargers, while College Station has 1 Supercharger. Have no idea why you think San Antonio has zero? Additionally, getting Superchargers closer towards downtown is an "issue" with all cities, not just San Antonio. If you're just looking at "inside the loops", then San Antonio has 0, Houston has 1, Dallas has 3, and Austin has 2 (or 3 if you want to count the bad one on South Congress). So that all tracks also. CoSA really loves their EVs, they just can't get Tesla or any of the other vendors to prioritize over the bigger and more important cities in Texas.

Fees have been paid up and permits issued

1678731640338.png

Reactions: wsxedc12 and CarlS
just remembering the service center that was only taking over a previous ICE dealer location, all of a sudden having to get extra ground water assessments "in case the batteries leaked" or the long protracted approvals process, because you know batteries leak much more often than engine oil.
The CoSA EV report they wrote way back in 2019 highlighted where DC fast chargers were most needed, progress made inside 410 loop = zero.
Draw a five mile circle around central SA and it shows zero, zip,nada fast chargers, not a single one.
Even College Station has more fast chargers than San Antonio and they didn't need an EV adoption report to figure it out.
You don't get that bad by accident, it takes effort.
But you never know, maybe I'm just cynical and maybe this will be the first of many...
:cool:

[edit]
it would appear that this indeed maybe the first of at least one more at least :rolleyes:
Three interstates (I-10, I-35, I-37) plus one interstate loop (410) from downtown and south and NO superchargers in that area.

I'm looking forward to this one. I visit my daughter, who lives off I-410 on the Northwest side. When going back home, I don't have to go out of my way to Huebner Oaks - I can just cut straight across town, juice up, then get on US 281 and head south.