Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Jose, CA - Santana Row (26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picture time! Its been awhile since I visited an under construction charger.

Starting on the 4th floor south end of the parking structure. I counted 36-37 under construction urban pedestals. With 2 sections for electrical cabinets on east and west ends of the parking structure.

Standing at the west viewing towards the east end.
4th Floor -10.jpg

Middle of the parking area.
4th Floor - 1.jpg 4th Floor - 2.jpg

25A pedestal.
4th Floor - 3.jpg

West side electrical cabinets.
4th Floor - 4.jpg 4th Floor - 9.jpg

East side electrical cabinets.
4th Floor - 5.jpg 4th Floor - 6.jpg 4th Floor - 7.jpg 4th Floor - 8.jpg

Last edited:
4th floor - 23 Urban chargers and east side electrical cabinets that powers them, there might be a 24th next to the cabinets but that section is currently buried behind construction items and I didn't want to walk through.
4th Urban.jpg 4th Urban E-Cabs.jpg

4th floor - 14 wall chargers and the west side electrical cabinets that powers them.
4th Wall.jpg 4th Wall E-Cabs.jpg

3rd floor - More progress on the electrical conduits.
3rd E-Cond.jpg

Ground Floor Parking Area - Work on the underground conduits from and the inside of the cabinets seemed to be the focus this past week. Still cannot confirm if the chargers here will be wall, urban or public of some type.
South Side E-Cond.jpg G Main E-Cabs.jpg Dual Transformer and E-Cabs.jpg G Electrical Underground.jpg G 10 Charger.jpg

Came here today.

Wow. The design is messed up. They could have put the transformer in the parking garage next to the cabinets, keeping conduit and wire runs as short as possible, but transformers are dangerous and blow up, so fire departments want access to them without risking anyone.

In the parking building they might have needed a weight load distribution platform and fire enclosure, but I think that would take minimal space.

If they wanted some of the equipment on the ground, they should have placed it near where the conduit runs for the cabinets. Instead, they put it far from that. Possibly they were concerned with transformer fires under the exit ramp, which was about 80 feet closer to the risers.

As it ended up, the transformer is about 400 to 500 feet from the inverter cabinets, which in turn are 100 to 200 feet from the nearest SuperChargers.

The conduit runs had to bypass interference with ramp roadways, causing them to be restricted to one location. If those were higher voltage, it wouldn’t matter as much.

I see why they did it the way they did, but it is sure suboptimal. This is why parking buildings should come with good conduit runs and nearby transformer locations designed in. As a retrofit, that opportunity isn’t available.