Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Jose, CA - Santana Row (26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the lack of a post here saying "first charge!" or something like that, I'd guess no. You can probably expect somebody to break the news here within hours (or maybe within minutes) of power-on. :D

Bruce.

So true! And heck my husband and I are still waiting for the "looks-to-be-already-completed" superchargers at the Almaden shopping area on Cherry to be turned on; and those were started and sitting waiting for power longer than Santana Row's have even spent in construction since November. Don't know if it's Tesla waiting to turn their attention to the new Supercharger locations or the power company being slow to get to finalize construction projects, but at this point I would be surprised if anything at Santana Row or south San Jose happened before the New Year. Lots of Tesla owners/drivers in this section of the Bay Area that are probably wondering the same thing.

I drove by early this morning (it was still dark) and noticed a few things:

1. I did not see any large amounts of visible progress, but most of the progress needed now is not as visible. However, expect much more time before this is finished. Last time I thought it needed extensive trench work, wire pulling, cabinet installation, cabinet wiring, transformer, etc.
2. Cones closed off the lower layers of the parking lot. The upper layers are probably for employees. This matches with the chargers being higher up.

Christmas Update.

4th Floor shows little visual updates. Electrical cabinets have seen most of the work.
4th.jpg 4th Wall.jpg 4th E.jpg

3rd floor is still missing on electrical pipe to the ground floor.
3rd Pipes.jpg

Ground Floor shows most of the progress. 8 Urban and 10 Wall connectors are now up.
Ground Overall 1.jpg Ground Overall 2.jpg Ground E Cabs.jpg Ground Urban.jpg Ground Wall.jpg

The strange thing about the pictures is that the Ground level shows 5 Supercharger cabinets and only 8 Urban pedestals installed. The pre-fab bases for two more pedestals are sitting off to the side. I wonder why they aren't installed.
I noticed that, too. Only thing I can think of is that maybe they'll go in the stalls where the boom lifts are. That would help avoid the need to deal with installing them right next to those big trees. They'd just have to cut the asphalt and run the conduit through/under the parking lot. So, I guess it'd be possible that the crew are waiting to install them until that equipment is no longer needed on site?

Christmas Update.

4th Floor shows little visual updates. Electrical cabinets have seen most of the work.
View attachment 363847 View attachment 363841 View attachment 363844

3rd floor is still missing on electrical pipe to the ground floor.
View attachment 363843

Ground Floor shows most of the progress. 8 Urban and 10 Wall connectors are now up.
View attachment 363838 View attachment 363834 View attachment 363837 View attachment 363836 View attachment 363848
I'm very curious how Santana row is going to manage those Destination/Wall chargers. Free for all? Time limit? Valet only?

I'm very curious how Santana row is going to manage those Destination/Wall chargers. Free for all? Time limit? Valet only?
Yeah I'm curious too.

As far as the need for destination chargers. I'm not sure what residents of Santana Row do for charging. It would be nice for them to be able to overnight charge at a destination charger and not have to worry about idle fees. Would also be great for hotel guests, people going to the movies, and people that work in Santana Row.

Movie goers most certainly would occupy the stall for way more than even an hour so personally don't see that use as acceptable especially given how populated that area is already without additional traffic coming in to shop/dine. If they could valet the car out of the space then that would be a different story. Personally don't like the idea of giving our car to a stranger to park anywhere.

Movie goers most certainly would occupy the stall for way more than even an hour so personally don't see that use as acceptable especially given how populated that area is already without additional traffic coming in to shop/dine. If they could valet the car out of the space then that would be a different story. Personally don't like the idea of giving our car to a stranger to park anywhere.

Movie goers on the destination chargers for over a couple hours is no problem in my mind. On the Superchargers, that’s another story.

Movie goers on the destination chargers for over a couple hours is no problem in my mind. On the Superchargers, that’s another story.

I agree with you on the HPWCs. Actually if they aren't accessible to non-Tesla EVs though I'm surprised that the garage owner agreed to that and instead not something more universal. Maybe this is spelled out more in this thread like ChargePoints being also somewhere on the levels and I missed reading that. Great for Teslas though and with the Tesla store located kind of right in front of the garage area, I'm sure a lot of Tesla owners will visit the store and use the HPWC too.

I do seem to recall that across the road from Steven's Creek at the shopping center there that a number of J1772 chargers went in this year--around Macy's and elsewhere? In fact I had originally thought the permits were going to be for Tesla Superchargers. Kind of a long walk across a very busy road to go from one shopping center area to the other.

Reactions: McManX
Looks like there will be at least 36 supercharger stalls at this site. From Dag's previous pictures, I counted 8 cabinets up on the 4th Floor and on the Ground Floor exterior there are 5 Cabinets already installed and the pedestals w/conduit for 5 more. So, 18 cabinets --->36 stalls. Though it's still possible that they are only pre-installing the hardware for the 5 cabinets that aren't on site yet to support a later expansion. In which case, at initial opening it might only have 26 stalls.

Wiring Update
4th floor electrical cabinets have seen progress. Also noticed a charging pedestal spot on the first picture bottom left. They might be looking to install 3 or so charging spots here.
1.jpg 2.jpg

Ground Floor junction and electrical cabinets are progressing too.
3.jpg 4.jpg
Apologizes for the glare.

They've also installed the parking bumpers on the 4th floor. Ground floor bumpers are pending, with the bumpers on a small pallet. I assume waiting for the concrete work near the urban pedestals.

2 updates 1 weekend!
Noticed a couple of things from my pics yesterday so I went back today to check it out.

I mentioned the left side urban chargers installed recently, so I went back to take me detailed pics. 3 in total (2 on the right near the cabinets and 1 on the other side of the elevator, I noticed the conduit running up and over) These spaces were marked previously with "electric car charging"
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Getting the handle in and out should be interesting...o_O

Found more electrical cabinets in the basement level. Also on the electrical junction box on the ground / basement level I noticed the conduit on the far left goes inside the basement level and not up to the 3rd floor chargers. I followed it to the resident's parking area but could go no further as its fenced off to the public. It does go up from what I can tell (last pic), but tried to find it near the valet area above and found nothing.

A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg D.jpg

Last edited:
I mentioned the left side urban chargers installed recently, so I went back to take me detailed pics. 3 in total (2 on the right near the cabinets and 1 on the other side of the elevator, I noticed the conduit running up and over) These spaces were marked previously with "electric car charging"
Those are/will be the Disabled Access stalls.
Looks like there will be at least 36 supercharger stalls at this site. From Dag's previous pictures, I counted 8 cabinets up on the 4th Floor and on the Ground Floor exterior there are 5 Cabinets already installed and the pedestals w/conduit for 5 more. So, 18 cabinets --->36 stalls. Though it's still possible that they are only pre-installing the hardware for the 5 cabinets that aren't on site yet to support a later expansion. In which case, at initial opening it might only have 26 stalls.
Also, from the pictures in @Dag's first update of the weekend, it looks like there are actually 13 cabinets on the 4th floor not 8 as I previously counted (the row of 5 cabinets was hiding another row of 5 behind them). So we're now up to infrastructure for 46 stalls (assuming the 5 empty pedestals get filled).

Another weekend another update.
Fences around the 4th floor electrical cabinets are now down and signs for each parking spot are up. 10 wall chargers spots are marked with "60min general" and the rest are "vehicle charging" including the 3 around the elevator/stairs. Pedestal next to the stairs has been moved a few inches away from its conduit to make moving the cable easier.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Overall pics from the middle.
8.jpg 9.jpg

Last edited: